Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Banned

Default Re: Bullying someone to death is not a crime....

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    I have seen kids react to bullying in different ways. I have read about suicides many times. More commonly kids drop out. Sometimes they come to school with guns and kill other kids. Anyone remember Columbine?
    Exactly....Other people had to pay the price just because all the other kids were treating the 'future killers' like crap. Like said and done, bullying could affect more than the one being bullied. Why can't people...um...just leave the people that mind their own ****ing business alone? If the person that killed herself was some type of stuck up person, who was annoying, had insulted everyone herself, etc. then maybe it isn't "a crime" but she didn't, so it is.

Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

I'm not going to touch on the whole legal side of things, but I can't believe some of the responses here, saying she was weak, and she deserved to die etc.

These people either have not gone through depression, or don't understand it for whatever reason, maybe they just don't know anyone who's gone through it, not their fault I guess. It's a serious mental illness.

To be bullied is one thing, but if it helped drive you into a state of depression or you were already depressed, it's hard to escape that without sufficient help. You can't just change your whole mind state at the flip of a coin, it takes time. Now you can say "Ok, why didn't she ask for help?", but we don't know the whole story, maybe help wasn't there. Maybe people who thought they were helping, just made it worst, which is very common.

Like has been said, people also deal with depression in different ways, it depends on your personality. Some may take the anger route and end up hurting others, or you may take her route, which is hurt yourself.

I breifly mentioned this in my prior post, but some people need to learn "sympathy", "empathy", and "compassion". To even hint that the poor girl is at fault is sickening.

Banned

Let's get these girls on this MTV Show.

We'll get professional MMA Fighters kicking their ass.

Not airballing my layups anymore 3ptShooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    ...Thats a better option than killing yourself. She also could have tried to explain the situation to her parents or the faculty at her school or responded to the bullies.
    I saw a TV spot on this tonight, and she did tell her parents. The parents went to the school and asked for help. None was given apparently, and there is now a lawsuit against them. Let's hope a few people at least loose their jobs.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...WS02/703309902

Phoebe, ostracized for having a brief relationship with a popular boy, reached her breaking point and hanged herself after one particularly hellish day in January — a day that, according to officials, included being hounded with slurs and pelted with a beverage container as she walked home from school...

...School officials won’t be charged, even though authorities say they knew about the bullying and that Phoebe’s mother brought her concerns to at least two of them.

...At least four students and two faculty members intervened to try to stop it or report it to administrators, she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_Blue
    I'm not going to touch on the whole legal side of things, but I can't believe some of the responses here, saying she was weak, and she deserved to die etc.
    I apologize for my word choice by saying she was "weak," but I never said she deserved to die. I think its sad she's dead and it sucks that this situation escalated to the point that she decided to take her own life. I still won't change my stance though. People are accountable for their own choices, and faced with the stress she was going through she chose to end it.

My question basically boils down to this at its core - If you willingly take your own life then how can you say the actions of the harassers caused the bodily injury?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptShooter
    I saw a TV spot on this tonight, and she did tell her parents. The parents went to the school and asked for help. None was given apparently, and there is now a lawsuit against them. Let's hope a few people at least loose their jobs.
    Sucks that more wasn't done, but just because you do one thing and it doesn't work doesn't mean give up. And it doesn't remove culpability from her for taking her own life.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    I apologize for my word choice by saying she was "weak," but I never said she deserved to die. I think its sad she's dead and it sucks that this situation escalated to the point that she decided to take her own life. I still won't change my stance though. People are accountable for their own choices, and faced with the stress she was going through she chose to end it.

My question basically boils down to this at its core - If you willingly take your own life then how can you say the actions of the harassers caused the bodily injury?

Sucks that more wasn't done, but just because you do one thing and it doesn't work doesn't mean give up. And it doesn't remove culpability from her for taking her own life.

First of all you are clueless about the legal system, saying bullying isn't a crime. Ever heard of harrassment? stalking? menacing? As someone pointed out earlier bullying is a crime in 41 states yet you stupidly cling to your belief that it shouldn't be a crime, not only ignoring the law but also ignoring all the kids whose lives have been ruined or ended because of bullying.

Secondly you are talking about a minor as if she was an adult. If an adult had sex with her his ass would be going to jail even if it was consensual. Why? Because from the standpoint of the law kids that age aren't mature enough to make sound decisions.

You really need to get a clue.
    Last edited by tontoz; 03-31-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    replace the word bullying with stalking/harassment which is illegal.. if this was an adult or one or two adults doing this to another adult it would be considered stalking or harrasment but because it's kids we use the word bullying it's looked at in a different light by some... fact is there are people in jail now for this exact same thing done as an adult

following people to their homes, around a public place and throwing things at them is a crime... no matter the persons age

pretend this was a bunch of middle aged adults and a senior citizen what's your view now?
    Exactly. I think this is starting to show us all that the OP is/was probably a bully and he's just defending his own kind. Or maybe he's the lawyer for those girls.