Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Default Conan O'Brien quit NBC in January. April, 2010 update - he's joining TBS

Quit late night

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

Default Re: Conan O'Brien

Quit or got bought out? He'd be stupid to quit.

if he quit nbc has to pay em his contract of 4 years/ $80 mill in full, but if he goes to another network nbc just pays the difference. last nights show was awsome, conan was taking shots at nbc alll show lol. he's getting fu*ked over i hope he collects every penny from nbc...letter he wrote:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

wow NBC ****ed up..jay leno sucks balls that hack

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.RAPS
    if he quit nbc has to pay em his contract of 4 years/ $80 mill in full, but if he goes to another network nbc just pays the difference. last nights show was awsome, conan was taking shots at nbc alll show lol. he's getting fu*ked over i hope he collects every penny from nbc...letter he wrote:

classy as hell that guy

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Brandon Roy's Avatar

Unfortunate. I'd take Conan over Leno any day of the week.

I rule the local playground

Conan is the best late night show host. Just fire Leno and let Conan keep 11:30 slot.

FUBAR

NBC has f-cked this all up in so many ways......

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

NBC

Conan

I'm already looking forward to his new show, whatever it's going to be and whenever it's going to start.

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

Figured that was coming after he assreamed NBC last night. Will be interested to see tonight's episode.

Good for him. He SHOULD stick it to them. What they are doing is complete BS. Of course, considering how they f-ed Letterman over for Leno back in the day, we could have seen this coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    conan should go save the simpsons
    Best idea I've heard all year

How could Leno live with himself for taking someone else's spot back after he already gave it up just because his crappy show failed (which falls squarely on his shoulders)?

Quote Originally Posted by Reef
    How could Leno live with himself for taking someone else's spot back after he already gave it up just because his crappy show failed (which falls squarely on his shoulders)?
    Didn't Leno basically get forced out of the spot due to NBC not wanting Conan to go elsewhere? I think this is more about NBC panicking and not thinking long term than Leno or Conan. They should have been willing to let Leno go elsewhere and tried to be patient with Conan once this decision was made rather than giving Leno a show in an obvious bad slot and handcuffing Conan. I hope Leno continues to rag them in his old slot and I hope where ever Conan goes he rags NBC as well without mercy.