Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default School is so boring...

Is GPA worthless? Bout to finish my 7th period and go home.

Default Re: School is so boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Slayer
    Is GPA worthless? Bout to finish my 7th period and go home.
    What grade are you in? If school is boring for you, you should be killing all of your courses and should be enrolled in as many AP courses as you can carry. If you're an academic superstar, expand your extracurriculars... run for student office. A more accurate assessment for you might be that school is uninteresting. It gets that way for most normal people at some point, but you can't let your grades slip.

And no, GPA is not worthless. It's one of many important measures used by colleges, scholarship programs and even summer internship programs to judge your candidacy. Quite honestly, it should be an important measure for you as you personally keep track of how well you are doing all around.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Keep your GPA above 2.0 and you'll be fine. I was a major slacker in school. It didn't interest me either.

Good habits are not worthless.

Time to drop out.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    What grade are you in? If school is boring for you, you should be killing all of your courses and should be enrolled in as many AP courses as you can carry. If you're an academic superstar, expand your extracurriculars... run for student office. A more accurate assessment for you might be that school is uninteresting. It gets that way for most normal people at some point, but you can't let your grades slip.

And no, GPA is not worthless. It's one of many important measures used by colleges, scholarship programs and even summer internship programs to judge your candidacy. Quite honestly, it should be an important measure for you as you personally keep track of how well you are doing all around.
    I'm in grade 9

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

We don't have GPAs in Canada. I never understood those

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

i like my school. my teachers are very nice and know funny jokes. but im in grade 10, so maybe it will be better for you next year?

GPA for the most part is useless, you would be better off getting a 2.0 in something useful like accounting than a 4.0 in something worthless like foreign language. The only classes that matter are accounting, finance, engineering, bio, earth science, US/world history, US government, econ 1, a couple of english classes, algebra 2/maybe trig, and personal fitness. Psych 1 and Stats 1 is optional, everything else is useless unless you know what career you want then you specialize AP courses if they're available.

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    GPA for the most part is useless, you would be better off getting a 2.0 in something useful like accounting than a 4.0 in something worthless like foreign language. The only classes that matter are accounting, finance, engineering, bio, earth science, US/world history, US government, econ 1, a couple of english classes, algebra 2/maybe trig, and personal fitness. Psych 1 and Stats 1 is optional, everything else is useless unless you know what career you want then you specialize AP courses if they're available.
    How can you say algebra and trig are useful and imply that calculus is not?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Slayer
    I'm in grade 9
    You have a clean slate, my man, and it's October. Right now, your opportunities are wide open. This will seem like an exaggeration, but the college you will go to, the career you will pursue, the kind of money you will make, the city and house you will live in, the person you will marry, the quality of your life and lives of your family members... they will all likely be affected by the choices you make now. And I know it seems crazy and unfair to put that kind of pressure on a 14/15 year old, but that's the system we live in.

And I'm not speaking strictly about the grades you're getting right now, though that is important. Really, the start of high school is the best time to put some good habits into practice because even when you get tired of the slog of school, those habits tend to hold firm and keep you from slipping as you matriculate.

I don't want to get too involved in your business, so feel free to tell me to kick rocks, but what are your friends at school like? Are they trying to do well, are they winging it, or are they goofing off?

You have a clean slate, my man, and it's October. Right now, your opportunities are wide open. This will seem like an exaggeration, but the college you will go to, the career you will pursue, the kind of money you will make, the city and house you will live in, the person you will marry, the quality of your life and lives of your family members... they will all likely be affected by the choices you make now.

Not true. I'm a completely different person than I was at 14. You can always reinvent yourself, learn new things, change majors/professions, join new groups.

OP, as soon as you can drop out. See the world. Expand your horizons. Don't let yourself become trapped and end up like Max here.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Unless you're going into something like Engineering, Comp Sci, or Physics it's p useless as an actual job skill. The theory behind it is sound, but majority of occupations don't need that level of math to do their jobs. Accounting would be more useful, you could apply that to literally anywhere including your own personal needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Algebra and Trig tend to be used more widely and prevalently across a number of industries than calculus. It doesn't mean that calculus isn't useful, but most people don't need more than a pre-calc and calc 1 class in order to be proficient in tackling the sort of math they will encounter in most careers.

Now if you're doing advanced modelling, rates of change, etc... that's a different matter.

You have a clean slate, my man, and it's October. Right now, your opportunities are wide open. This will seem like an exaggeration, but the college you will go to, the career you will pursue, the kind of money you will make, the city and house you will live in, the person you will marry, the quality of your life and lives of your family members... they will all likely be affected by the choices you make now. And I know it seems crazy and unfair to put that kind of pressure on a 14/15 year old, but that's the system we live in.

And I'm not speaking strictly about the grades you're getting right now, though that is important. Really, the start of high school is the best time to put some good habits into practice because even when you get tired of the slog of school, those habits tend to hold firm and keep you from slipping as you matriculate.

I don't want to get too involved in your business, so feel free to tell me to kick rocks, but what are your friends at school like? Are they trying to do well, are they winging it, or are they goofing off?
    My best friends are all videogame fanatics. Myself included. Fortnite for the win!

I dont wanna work 9 to 5 when i get older?!? Reptitive.