Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Daryl Morey: Rockets Already Have Makings Of Championship Team

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    The Rockets have a big problem, and that is Dwight Howard.
    Until he becomes more competitive, they won't win the West.
    Not sure if a brain transplant is possible this far into his career.
    Actually Dwight have been the best Rockets in the playoffs. Harden is the one who's been spotty due to the fact that other teams have key on him and expose the Rockets for having only on creator on the team. Hopefully Lawson can solve that.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I would agree if Dwight Howard was playing at the level he did in Orlando. Unfortunately he's playing on par with Mutombo's peak offensively. Still a very good player overall but he has to find a way to contribute more as a scorer. He's not the great big he should be especially considering that a lot of teams don't even use real centers so he should have mismatches he can abuse.
    he really doesn't.

d-mo and jones can easily combine for 20 points on any given night. they bring different things to the table too. d-mo will get iso post plays way more frequently than dwight, who i think/hope/pray will finally accept that he is not a dominant nor even an efficient offensive weapon. the energy he'll save could really add to his season long durability and more importantly for a fragile psyche like dwight's, he'll have a chance to find a comfort zone where not too much is expected of him. hate him or love him, this is the team dwight was born to play for. loaded with offensive weapons and great passers.

i gotta hedge on this mental toughness argument though. it's an easy argument to make because the core trio consists of a diva, a dildo, and a drunk.

look at the rest of the team though... ariza is championship tested. terry brings back that veteran leadership with occasional late game heroics. patrick beverley is fvcking savage.

but toss onto that just the way mchale had these guys playing last year, it was incredible. i think their defense went from bottom ten to top five in a single year and it had little to do with the personnel given all the injuries. that was an incredibly scrappy team and all the major pieces are coming back. given mchale's track record it was pretty damn surprising.

still i think their downfall will come on the offensive end. even last year against the clippers, the rockets offense was banking on playmaking from unusual places, whenever they weren't racing the break or handing the ball to harden.

bottom line i don't trust mchale's ability to design a competent playoff offense and make the right adjustments against the likes of pop and kerr.

the team is too new and lawson and harden have to figure out how to make their backcourt function in a predictable complimentary fashion. as opposed to taking the team out of its sets for isolations over and over.

On paper, they are right there with anyone. And I don't know what people are talking about. Howard was a beast last year in the playoffs and looked almost as explosive and springy as his Orlando days. He is still an amazingly impactful player.

Along with Harden, you got Lawson, Ariza, Beverly, Monty and Jones. Really talented team.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I really think Dwight benefits greatly from Lawson. Probably more than any other Rockets player. Lawson is one of the best at the league at breaking down a defense and setting up his bigs right at the rim. All Dwight needs to do is catch and finish. Look at Lawson highlights from this past year (where he didn't even play that well). It's all setting up Faried and Hickson for wideopen dunks. You telling me Dwight can't do what they did?

I do question how Harden and Lawson coexist, tho. Both need the ball to be their most effective self. I think Harden can definitely play off the ball, but why take it out of your best player's hands? The guy who draws fouls at like 20% higher rate than MJ. He can't do that unless he is ball dominant. So you don't. That means you need Lawson to become a better shooter then. Curious to see how that all works out.

I'd agree on the mental toughness issue... Except they did have that massive comeback against the Clippers and legitimately pushed the Warriors (when I thought they would fold). imo, an overblown issue. Their playoffs run changed their perception imo.

Chemistry. Well no shit. They haven't all played a game together yet. That comes with time.

I would still have them below Spurs, Warriors, and healthy OKC, but they're legit and could join the top group if the Lawson-Harden stuff figures itself out. Same goes with the Clippers if the new pieces fit.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 09-28-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    I really think Dwight benefits greatly from Lawson. Probably more than any other Rockets player. Lawson is one of the best at the league at breaking down a defense and setting up his bigs right at the rim. All Dwight needs to do is catch and finish. Look at Lawson highlights from this past year (where he didn't even play that well). It's all setting up Faried and Hickson for wideopen dunks. You telling me Dwight can't do what they did?

I do question how Harden and Lawson coexist, tho. Both need the ball to be their most effective self. I think Harden can definitely play off the ball, but why take it out of your best player's hands? The guy who draws fouls at like 20% higher rate than MJ. He can't do that unless he is ball dominant. So you don't. That means you need Lawson to become a better shooter then. Curious to see how that all works out.

I'd agree on the mental toughness issue... Except they did have that massive comeback against the Clippers and legitimately pushed the Warriors (when I thought they would fold). imo, an overblown issue.

Chemistry. Well no shit. They haven't all played a game together yet. That comes with time.
    They might maximize their talents best if Lawson came off the bench and let Beverly start but I doubt they do that. Lawson is a top 10 PG and too good to come off the bench but having Lawson run the 2nd unit would mean they have a guy who can break down defenses AND set up for his teammates.

rank sentamentalist

I think Harden can definitely play off the ball, but why take it out of your best player's hands?
    because he holds the ball too long before making a split second chest pass to his teammate who's defender easily recovers.... though you're right that its only by being so ball dominant that he finds those seams and draws those fouls

if somebody convinced harden that the energy he puts into handling the ball would be better served running screens and getting the ball in excellent position, i bet the whole league would come to respect the hell out of him.

but that seems unlikely; either that anybody confronts the issue (that lawson is clearly the preferable guy to run the offense) or that even if they did, harden would listen

damn shame cuz chub chub would wreak havoc dancing figure eights around his bigs

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
    Rockets are one power forward away.
    Watch D-Mo next season.

My prediction is that they lose to Cavs in the finals.

Daryl Morey should be worry about Dwight's upcoming opt out with a new 5yr/150mil request.

Quote Originally Posted by el_locoteee
    Actually Dwight have been the best Rockets in the playoffs. Harden is the one who's been spotty due to the fact that other teams have key on him and expose the Rockets for having only on creator on the team. Hopefully Lawson can solve that.
    I didn't say he wouldn't play solid ball, even sometime good ball.
    I said he needs a brain transplant for the Rockets to win a title.
    He is soft mentally and doesn't have the killer instinct.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Team is scary on paper. That Lawson trade could be a game changer. Team has no weakness, outside of a questionable mental fortitude.
    Rockets have no power forward that can guard the LAs, the Griffins, the Greens etc. Both T Jones and D-Mo are good, but far from elite defenders. All Star power forwards be killing these guys on offense.

They need to play dirty

They need to play physical

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Team is scary on paper. That Lawson trade could be a game changer. Team has no weakness, outside of a questionable mental fortitude.
    Rockets have no power forward that can guard the LAs, the Griffins, the Greens etc. Both T Jones and D-Mo are good, but far from elite defenders.All Star power forwards be killing these guys on offense.

Dwight has to be "Orlando Dwight" again to be contenders

They need to make Dmo their second option on offense.