Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Real Signature Moves: Larry Bird's jumper and Magic Johnson's no look pass

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Specifically the no look pass started with Bob Cousy probably in the NBA... but Maravich took it to a whole different level meanwhile innovating literally speaking all types of passes... including many ballhandling moves..
    behind the back to a backdoor cut, behind the back to layup, two-handed scoops and feeds, no-look back dishes were all cousy....not to mention his dribble down skills

i'm not disagreeing with you tho, i admit pete took it to a whole new level....but gotta give credit where credit is due - cousy was showtime before pete and magic..
    Last edited by alleykat; 09-03-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Decent playground baller

Default Re: Real Signature Moves: Larry Bird's jumper and Magic Johnson's no look pass

Quote Originally Posted by alleykat
    behind the back to a backdoor cut, behind the back to layup, two-handed scoops and feeds, no-look back dishes were all cousy....not to mention his dribble down skills

i'm not disagreeing with you tho, i admit pete took it to a whole new level....but gotta give credit where credit is due - cousy was showtime before pete and magic..
    Oh absolutely, Cousy was a innovator indeed.

This is what I tell young people, Magic's assists were REAL assists.....I wish they would stop calling simple common ho-hum passes ASSISTS as if a trained monkey couldn't do it. (I also wish they would give assists for a great pass that led to 2 free throws) Magic did this stuff all game, every game....and at full speed. I would watch games and he'd throw a pass that seemed like it must be going out of bounds but it was right to a teammate for an easy basket.
    There has never been a comparable point guard to Magic.....NEVER.
    The guy saw the entire floor like no one else ever has, I have no idea how it's possible to do what he did without having 10 eyes or being able to stop time......how the hell do you completely fake out 5 guys AND everyone watching over and over? The most apt nickname in basketball history.
    And Larry was Brilliant beyond belief too but in his own way.....other than Magic, he was always the smartest craftiest, most cocky guy on the floor and he could completely back it up.
    Watching these clips gave me severe goosebumps....GREAT THREAD OP

Quote Originally Posted by alleykat

I agree with this, it's the evolution of the game. Guys learn from the greats who came before them. It's a damn shame that the Center position in the NBA has collapsed so badly, it would've been great if there was a "Sky Hook" shooting Center who could take what Kareem did to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    No look pass or any flashy pass you have seen from Magic (or anybody else) has been seen from Pete Maravich first....

Not really true at all..

- even Maravich's own dad has said that he learned the "flashy style" from watching the Harlem Globetrotters and meadowlark Lemon..( I would say they ( HG) had as much influence on the flashy no look style as anyone)

and even though both the Pistol and the Globetrotters ( when they were world famous) were a little before my era.....I think most Basketball fans will think of Magic Johnson when they here a " No Loook Pass"

- Like I said earlier..I never really followed Pistol's career ( before my time) ..but he always seemed to look like a scared mouse trying to make a basket....

Magic looked like he was a kid in a candy store when he played....you could tell he was in his world playing basketball....and his Passing captured the audience more then any passer ever...

of course just my opinion....and I'm a little/lot bias