Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Good college starter

Default Re: Don't make a fool of yourself young man you never saw him play

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    There you go again. Wow you're a tough, big, mature, man. I'll play along with your logic that i'm a little 14 year old kid. Don't you think it's a bit sad that a grown man is coming on a basketball forum making fun of little kids? What kind of person are you? Jesus. If you act this way in real life people would think you're a freak and a mean old man. You're having the freak/mean old man reaction on a forum, so why should anyone take what a freak/mean old man say about anything seriously?
    Do you have the new Avengers Lunch Box and Book Bag set .

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    You obviously have issues. If I didn't know you were "older" because you proudly proclaim it over and over, I'd instantly assume you are just 14-17 years old, 19 tops.

I'm pretty sure you're the type of guy who also thinks that music, media, games, lifestyle, manners and etc. were all better back then. Move on. How about you...grow up?

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    But keep in mind, there's a difference between watching the game and understanding it.

When you turn 30, start a conversation with a 16 year old and discuss basketball.

Unless he understands the nuisances of the game, the kind of understanding that only comes with having watched thousands of games and players, individual player ticks and affectations, you might as well be talking to your mom, because most 16 year olds don't have a firm grasp of the game.
    I don't want to give away my age, but this was spot on. I think the players of this day and age are better. Not more skilled, but just better. All the players are bigger, faster and stronger except for the Center position. As I have gotten older I look at the game completely differently than I did when I was a teenager. Hell I even play it differently. I won't say the youngsters don't know what they're talking about because it's all opinion based stuff ya know.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Oscar is and was clearly better than Kobe,Hakeem,Duncan.
    OK crazy guy.

1. Old fans who have seen more than one era and not influenced by media and have same access to everything TODAY as young fans.

2. Young fans who have only lived long enough to see one era live influenced by media.

Who's opinion are you going to take more seriously? How is this even debatable?

Ignore the little kid

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Ignore the little kid
    Wow great argument. Nice use of logic, statistics, and assortment of facts according to basketball. And who are you calling little kid? Niquesports is the little kid.. No way he's above the age of 16 the way he types and comes across. He's a child trying to lie about his age so people take him seriously. I'll make an alt account in a few weeks with my same opinions and say im 45 just to see how people react differently. I guarantee children like you a niquesports will jump on the bandwagon because I say im 45.

Age has nothing to do with how much you know about anything. I could be 18 and you could be 50 yet I could know more about something than you. It's just all these ignorant, less educated than current young adults when they were young adults due to advances in education, closed minded old folks thinking they're hot shit. Most 35+ people on this forum are stupid and can't formulate an argument and just lean on the fact they are older than a lot of people on the forum even though that holds nothing if you can't base facts behind it. Shit I wouldn't be surprised if I were more educated than you ever were and I'm not even out of college.

Sports is like anything else in life.. "being there" bring with it a certain perspective...

I didnt see Wilt play, but I am old enough to see the progression of basketball players from DrJ to now.... My Old heads told me about about somebody like Wilt and I respected them enough to LISTEN (alot of younger fans do not know how to listen... they think everything is a debate)...

The game is best captured by people who experienced the moments that matter...

Think about it... in 10 years when young fans are trying to diminish what Kobe or Lebron has done (because of round the clock coverage.... and the media, which will have gone to a whole new level that we cant even fathom yet) Some of the posters here will be desperately trying to keep everything in its proper perspective regarding the stars and teams of the past vs. the future.

Alot of the convo on this board is mindless and homer fan type stuff. that doesnt create a good environment for knowledgable talk about basketball..

So... Everything is subjective, but the best way to understand the past is to let older fans pass it down to younger ones
    Last edited by Rasheed1; 08-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    Sports is like anything else in life.. "being there" bring with it a certain perspective...

I didnt see Wilt play, but I am old enough to see the progression of basketball players from DrJ to now.... My Old heads told me about about somebody like Wilt and I respected them enough to LISTEN (alot of younger fans do not know how to listen... they think everything is a debate)...

The game is best captured by people who experienced the moments that matter...

Think about it... in 10 years when young fans are trying to diminish what Kobe or Lebron has done (because of round the clock coverage.... and the media, which will have gone to a whole new level that we cant even fathom yet) Some of the posters here will be desperately trying to keep everything in its proper perspective regarding the stars and teams of the past vs. the future.

Alot of the convo on this board is mindless and homer fan type stuff. that doesnt create a good environment for knowledgable talk about basketball..

So... Everything is subjective, but the best way to understand the past is to let older fans pass it down to younger ones
    Bullsh1t. I'm not gonna listen to some clown on inside hoops that can't articulate proper sentences and comes across like a 15 year old kid. Not to mention I'm not gonna listen to someone who will do whatever it takes to prop up their childhood players and knock down anyone else to make their heroes look better. Thats a good 60% of the "old heads" on this forum.

Bullsh1t. I'm not gonna listen to some clown on inside hoops that can't articulate proper sentences and comes across like a 15 year old kid. Not to mention I'm not gonna listen to someone who will do whatever it takes to prop up their childhood players and knock down anyone else to make their heroes look better. Thats a good 60% of the "old heads" on this forum.

Well then you'll be the one arguing dumb positions with no history behind anything you say because you have something against old heads..

your loss pal...

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    Well then you'll be the one arguing dumb positions with no history behind anything you say because you have something against old heads..

your loss pal...
    So you're saying niquefan is speaking the truth? Please. He said if you don't agree with his opinion you're not a basketball fan. How the hell is the intelligent and give me insight on the past? He gave no factually evidence on why oscar should be top 10, he just said he should because "he's a basketball fan and not a little kid". I'm not listening to that. If you aren't a complete clown, can back up what you say, and not trying to down all current players to prop your guys up I'll listen.

You're basically telling me, if they are older i MUST listen to them. Even if they say Scottie Pippen is better than LeBron so they can make it look like they're era of basketball was so amazing and ours sucks and were just little kids if we disagree, they older so they HAVE TO BE RIGHT.

Am I getting this right?

So you're saying niquefan is speaking the truth?

Did you see me say that? did you see me say anything about niquefan

Please. He said if you don't agree with his opinion you're not a basketball fan. How the hell is the intelligent and give me insight on the past? He gave no factually evidence on why oscar should be top 10, he just said he should because "he's a basketball fan and not a little kid". I'm not listening to that. If you aren't a complete clown, can back up what you say, and not trying to down all current players to prop your guys up I'll listen.
    you have a problem with 1 person you need to get a hold of yourself and stop conflating what I said with what he said....

You're basically telling me, if they are older i MUST listen to them. Even if they say Scottie Pippen is better than LeBron so they can make it look like they're era of basketball was so amazing and ours sucks and were just little kids if we disagree, they older so they HAVE TO BE RIGHT.
    Wow....

You are way out in left field.... I didnt say you MUST listen to anybody...

What I am saying is that older fans bring alot of perspective to the game and things that happen... They can tell you what it meant 'WHEN IT HAPPENED" and the 20/20 hindsight that comes with "BEING AROUND" when somebody like Pippen or Ho Grant or somebody played. Old heads help you put events in their proper perspective. Old heads can talk about how the players have progressed from the days of julius Erving & George Gervin to today with Lebron and Kobe... That insight is very valuable, and without someone to help pass it on? You get people posting old stats thinking they are getting a good picture on what took place... You get people arguing over something that nobody has witnessed...

You can watch youtube, but that wont tell you what it was like when it actually happened... What did people think about Wilt's accomplishments while he was putting up his numbers?

It helps to have people who can give you a feel for what it was like...

Am I getting this right?
    Hell no you're not getting it right you seem like you are in a battle with niquefan, and Im not speaking about what he said..

What I hate is people who overrate these old players and put them on a pedestal.
    And I also hate it when people underrate old players and treate them like they would be trash today.

Granted, everyone has a bias for the past and present, but I've certinally seen more absurd "reasoning" and scenarios about past players, their era, etc.. than the ones who are active today.

I know EVERYONE will deny it but they do it thinking it makes them sound smarter.
    I've seen posters today call Kobe, LeBron, Wade, etc... or any player that reaches some great performance "gawds" and there will be 5-10 threads about them in the front page. Now granted, off course you praise a great performance, but to go over the top about and have some weird cult like worship... and just reading the arguments in comparison threads today is so damn awful at times.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind reading from most knowledgable posters when they bring the facts. Shaqattack, NugzHeat3, Kblaze, JMT, WillC etc... a lot of knowledgable posters on ISH who have little to no bias, who bring facts and context.

I'm dead a$$ serious in my reasoning. People act like they were just magically better and no one can touch them, but it's 100% nostalgia and thinking you're making yourself sound smarter.
    Which players are you refering about ? Which posters are you refering about, specifically ? If you're just talking about the OP, that's not enough, and I've seen worse posts from "younger" fans.

And it's probably not just nostalgia (sometimes it is a factor, but it's not always the case), but if it can be proven in meaningful manner, then that's not making yourself sound smart.

Why can't people just be reasonable about how they rank players and not overrated the FU.CK out of older players.
    And like wise, people should not underrate the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck out of older players and overrate/underrate the f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck out of current players.

It's frustrating that all these 30-40 year old men come on here with this elitist view thinking they are better people than everyone else overrating their childhood heroes when they just sound stupid.
    It's also frustrating that a lot of younger posters will call players "gawds", call them Top 5-10, or GOAT after winning one title as the man, and even try to spin their own agenda, just to make their current favourite player look good.

By the way atljonesbro, that wasn't directed to you, specifically. I'm just aware that there's a double standard for both the younger and older posters and pointing that what you said can be looked at both way... you brought up some interesting things in your post that I see from a lot in this forum.

Wow great argument. Nice use of logic, statistics, and assortment of facts according to basketball. And who are you calling little kid? Niquesports is the little kid.. No way he's above the age of 16 the way he types and comes across. He's a child trying to lie about his age so people take him seriously. I'll make an alt account in a few weeks with my same opinions and say im 45 just to see how people react differently. I guarantee children like you a niquesports will jump on the bandwagon because I say im 45.

Age has nothing to do with how much you know about anything. I could be 18 and you could be 50 yet I could know more about something than you. It's just all these ignorant, less educated than current young adults when they were young adults due to advances in education, closed minded old folks thinking they're hot shit. Most 35+ people on this forum are stupid and can't formulate an argument and just lean on the fact they are older than a lot of people on the forum even though that holds nothing if you can't base facts behind it. Shit I wouldn't be surprised if I were more educated than you ever were and I'm not even out of college.
    No, sorry.......you are not an intelligent person and I am not only more than 3 times your age, I am far more educated than you will ever be, and far more accomplished.
    I am very open minded when statements make sense, yours don't.
    If you think any 18 year old kid knows more about anything that someone lived through 30-40 years ago you are truly a moron.
    Stats? They don't help you when those who saw the game know that a player was playing injured that season....or his teammates were, which affected their record. Stats won't tell you the cultural effect on a black athlete playing in Boston in the 60's or 70's. Guys in the past retired due to injuries that today would only keep them out for 2 months or less due to advancements in medicine........or maybe they would play on and be less effective.
    A kid is never going to fully grasp stuff like that. Even the difference in travel and hotels etc. What a kid really needs to do when discussing the past is listen to older people and learn......it may help to to go to your local library and read the newspapers from the years you want to discuss.....that may help you sound a wee bit more intelligent to those who know more about an era because they lived it.