Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Oscar Robertson should be a lock in the top ten

Many people say that he's never won an mvp, but when I look it up he won in 63-64. He also has a championship and multiple all-star/all nba team selections.

but every top ten player has those (it's a must). The main reason i believe this dude should be considered top ten is because of his insane stats. He is currently the only player EVER to average a triple double for a season and came close to doing it 3 other times

60-61 30.5ppg 9.7asts 10.1reb
    rookie of the year

61-62 30.8ppg 11.4asts 12.5reb

62-63 28.3ppg 9.5asts 10.4reb
    consider this an off year

63-64 31.4ppg 11.0asts 9.9reb
    mvp year

in his 14 year career he ended with a average of 25.7ppg 9.5 asts and 7.5 reb. shot 48% from the field and 83% from the line

Whats the reasoning for leaving him out when he has a case for top 5 yet alone is never mentioned in people's top ten. You can't say its era because then we should take out Wilt and Russell.

not to mention he was a point guard putting up ridicoulous numbers like this

Default Re: Oscar Robertson should be a lock in the top ten

He only has one title as a 2nd option to Kareem though. And his team success as the man is a little suspect.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

In basketball winning and accolades supersede stats for most people's lists. If this were baseball he would easily be top 5.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

He definitely wouldn't average a triple double in this era if you adjust the pace he played at back then.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    He definitely wouldn't average a triple double in this era if you adjust the pace he played at back then.
    We don't know that because time machines don't exist.

How many other people put up triple doubles in his era, if it was such a fast pace and so easy to do?
    Last edited by Sarcastic; 08-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.

individual player wise (for the stat geeks), he's head to head with wilt as number 1 imo.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

How many other people put up triple doubles in his era, if it was such a fast pace and so easy to do?
    Exactly!!!!!

Time machines don't exist but if I had to try to match what he would play like in today's era I could imagine him being the nets version of Jason Kidd with less defense, and a step slower, but a dominant scorer, better rebounding, and a way better jumper.
    Last edited by INDI; 08-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

pretty sure somebody did the math, and if bron had played at the pace that oscars teams played at he would have averaged a triple double

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    pretty sure somebody did the math, and if bron had played at the pace that oscars teams played at he would have averaged a triple double
    Time machine brochacho. Make one and prove it to me.

I try to respect the opinions of others as much as possible...but with that being said, if Oscar isn't in your top 10 after seeing something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ee2Ag5GeMQ&feature=plcp

I don't know what to tell you...What PG in the league can stop that man? NO ONE. He would have a field day in todays league ESPECIALLY because of the wet rag defense

http://blitzsportsnetwork.com/2011/1...chool-defense/

http://blitzsportsnetwork.com/2012/0...-era-defenses/

He did make the conference finals a few times (once taking the Celtics to 7 games), and each time his team lost in the playoffs it was either against Russell or Chamberlain.
    He was a brilliant guard who couldn't win on his own in an era full of stacked teams with dominant centers. As soon as he played with one, he won the championship, unfortunately he was on the decline by then.

Imagine his resume had he played alongside a Bill Russell in his prime. He still would've had great stats (not as ridiculous but historic nonetheless, he was a better offensive player than anyone on those Cs teams), probably wouldn't have won MVP, but would've won a whole lot of championships instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    What about the defense Lebron has to face? this is what Im referring too..would lebron be able to Score, or rebound as much with rules like these? Not dissing Lebron, hes a HOF BEAST. Love his game, and totally respect your opinion. Just an honest question Im NOT trying to be a dick...Your opinion is just as valid as mine

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    individual player wise (for the stat geeks), he's head to head with wilt as number 1 imo.
    If you like wilt check out my youtube channel. Same name as on here, some great highlights...not meaning to whore off my channel, just passing along some good wilt videos

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Oscar Robertson was the first guy to break the mvp monopoly that chamberlain and russell had

and I think pre-1979 that the mvp was chosen by PLAYERS voting, so it's a feat that a point guard could snatch one mvp award in the

Another guard wouldn't win the mvp until Magic Johnson..21 years later....

give Oscar his props...

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    What about the defense Lebron has to face? this is what Im referring too..would lebron be able to Score, or rebound as much with rules like these? Not dissing Lebron, hes a HOF BEAST. Love his game, and totally respect your opinion. Just an honest question Im NOT trying to be a dick...Your opinion is just as valid as mine

Are you Brucelitz?