Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default David Aldridge on his sole encounter with Sterling

I've had one conversation with Sterling. It lasted about four minutes. This was in 2006, when the Clippers, to the surprise of the entire western world, didn't have a team that stunk. They had a functioning Elton Brand and Chris Kaman, and an old head in Sam Cassell, and a coach in Mike Dunleavy -- who, just a few years later, would have to sue Sterling to get what had been promised him contractually -- who made the Clips into a promising squad.

Anyway, the Clippers were in the playoffs for the first time in years, and playing the Denver Nuggets. At halftime of one of the games, I was talking to the team's GM, Elgin Baylor -- who, just a few years later, would have to sue Sterling to get what had been promised him contractually. I mentioned, quite casually and not expecting anything in response, that I had never met Sterling.

Elgin got a look on his face. It was a familiar look; the look of someone who was about to do something he really didn't want to do, but felt obligated to do -- like shovel five feet of snow off the elderly neighbor's stoop.

"You want to meet him?," Elgin asked.

"Uh, sure," I said. It was halftime of a playoff game -- the clock was running in the press room at Staples. How much damage could be done in one pithy conversation?

Baylor introduced me to Sterling and his wife, Shelly -- who, just a few years later, would sue the woman who ... oh, God, never mind -- and we made about two minutes of small talk about the game and the great season the Clippers, finally, were having.

Then Sterling said, and I'm quoting, "Can I ask you a question?"

I said, "Sure."

And he said, "Why are all these black women having these children out of wedlock?"

To repeat: I had never, until this day in 2006, ever been introduced, or said hello, or called, or had anything to do with Sterling -- who, just a few years later, would pay $2.725 million to settle the largest housing discrimination lawsuit in the history of the United States of America. I had never written him a note or an e-mail, or received one from him. Nothing. Nada. Nuttin'.

I looked at the clock on the wall. I believe it was under seven minutes, and counting, until the second half began. I found what little composure was in my body.

"Well, Mr. Sterling, that's not a question I can answer in seven minutes," I began, gesturing to the running clock. "First, I'm not sure it's 'All' these black women,' and the ones that do have a lot of factors that contribute to their decisions -- "

"Oh, I know," he said. "I was just wondering what you thought."

I have not had a conversation with Sterling since. Nor do I plan to.
    http://www.nba.com/2014/news/feature...-qa/index.html

Default Re: David Aldridge on his sole encounter with Sterling

He sounds like a crazy uncle that pretty much every family has. The guy you are scared to invite to Thanksgiving Dinner, who blurts out completely rude and inappropriate things with a straight face and then wonders why everyone else is looking at him funny.

Wow just wow lmao...

At last when borat does this $hit, you know Sasha baron Cohen is trolling and is in character...but sterling... Doesn't know he's affecting ppl in his own special way

Love Live Life

So now all these old racist stories about to come out about Sterling to drag his name even further in the mud.

Dude is just old, ignorant and stuck in his ways.

Like above poster said everyone has this guy in their family be it white, black, mexican, or whatever race you may be

no one is surprised... everyone in the NBA knew this and thus had the reaction of not being surprised and being strong with their statements after Sterling made his racist comments

NBA lottery pick

Sterling should have been dealt with a long time ago. The Sterling tape was only gasoline poured unto a racist blazing past.

The league finally got it right. Hopefully, they can eventually remove him entirely.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

The Sterling smear campaign continues

It's pretty obvious that Sterling was just being humorous, asking such a question to a black guy at such a random moment.

I'm sure his comedic timing was off, but let's not further condemn him for meaningless words.

Sheeeet.... if you care about society you better be asking this question.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    So now all these old racist stories about to come out about Sterling to drag his name even further in the mud.

Like above poster said everyone has this guy in their family be it white, black, mexican, or whatever race you may be

Wonder if dude77 is related to Sterling.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall

Jesus have some of you guys ever even had a job? So many of you are clueless to the responsibility that comes with being the CEO of a company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcats2013
    Sheeeet.... if you care about society you better be asking this question.
    Sterling has more on his mind than silly old sports

"Why are all these black women having these children out of wedlock?"

"Cause we po black folk be stoopid, Massa Sterling. Can I shine dose shoes for ya? I shine 'em real good, yessa...."

"I like you, David."

Banned

Fvck Sterling Fvck Sterling Fvck Sterling!!!!!