Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laker News: Magic Johnson talks about 'Antoni aka No D Toni

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Default Re: Magic talks about 'Antoni aka No D Toni

Some might say he's been hating a bit in the lakers lately but his point there is rather valid from the games I've watched the defense seems helpless against half decent pick and roll offenses or teams with good driving guards Howard helped last year but not enough to where it wasn't a problem, defensive rotations have not been very good the last few years in my opinion, I think magic loves the lakers and Jerry was too much of a father figure to watch and not critique.

Magic was a great athletic 6-9 player who can play all positions at a very high level etc.
    More importantly, he is caring guy not just for the Lakers but also for poeple around him. I mean the guy has a great heart.
    I know a player he played with at Mich State who is not doing great financially. Magic called him out of nowhere and sent a ton of great formal suits etc for him to use.
    Having said that, he says something that are pretty obvious to everybody who knows basketball.
    The guy had a career record of 5-11 as a coach.
    Did he learned from his past mistakes, I think so. Can he coach again?
    Maybe.

I don't understand why anyone comments on Magic's coaching record.
    I don't think anyone on here knows anything about the circumstances behind it.....just looking at the record...lol. Sometimes it serves folks best to have been there and lived through a situation....not just look at computer screen data.
    No offense intended to anyone. Remember how bad the Heat were in the first games of the Big 3? Obviously a coach has to have time to implement his system , teach it to his players. It is nuts to think a guy can be thrown in as an interim coach of a non playoff team at the end of a season with no camp and win games.....just nuts. Blame Magic

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    I don't understand why anyone comments on Magic's coaching record.
    I don't think anyone on here knows anything about the circumstances behind it.....just looking at the record...lol. Sometimes it serves folks best to have been there and lived through a situation....not just look at computer screen data.
    No offense intended to anyone. Remember how bad the Heat were in the first games of the Big 3? Obviously a coach has to have time to implement his system , teach it to his players. It is nuts to think a guy can be thrown in as an interim coach of a non playoff team at the end of a season with no camp and win games.....just nuts. Blame Magic
    Wasn't the team in transition or "rebuilding" well not quite rebuilding but Magic overtook a team that was struggling with a coach who didn't have the best record as the Lakers coach and a team that had a number of great players retire or approaching that time, that was before his final comeback as a player or was that after he came back in his last comeback? I'm sure it was before his comeback but not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Magic was a great athletic 6-9 player who can play all positions at a very high level etc.
    More importantly, he is caring guy not just for the Lakers but also for poeple around him. I mean the guy has a great heart.
    I know a player he played with at Mich State who is not doing great financially. Magic called him out of nowhere and sent a ton of great formal suits etc for him to use.
    Having said that, he says something that are pretty obvious to everybody who knows basketball.
    The guy had a career record of 5-11 as a coach.
    Did he learned from his past mistakes, I think so. Can he coach again?
    Maybe.
    If you mean he's making these comments because he wants to coach I don't quite think that's right I don't think he's going to coach again, after ending his initial stint as a coach he said to memory he never truly wanted to coach and that it was a mistake, I think he just doesn't like the on court coaching and recent front office decisions (although he was full of praise when they got Howard but since Jerry's died he's been rather negative because Jim is now in sole control rather than having his father at least there for guidance), I think he's just trying to not allow the front office or the coaching staff to avoid criticism, because the media doesn't often really blame the front office it's usually solely placed on the coach or players etc etc Magic could just be making sure people are aware of the front office's coaching choice mistakes and also that D'Antoni isn't a very good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    If you mean he's making these comments because he wants to coach I don't quite think that's right I don't think he's going to coach again, after ending his initial stint as a coach he said to memory he never truly wanted to coach and that it was a mistake, I think he just doesn't like the on court coaching and recent front office decisions (although he was full of praise when they got Howard but since Jerry's died he's been rather negative because Jim is now in sole control rather than having his father at least there for guidance), I think he's just trying to not allow the front office or the coaching staff to avoid criticism, because the media doesn't often really blame the front office it's usually solely placed on the coach or players etc etc Magic could just be making sure people are aware of the front office's coaching choice mistakes and also that D'Antoni isn't a very good coach.
    Nope, Im not inferring that he made those comments bec he wanted to coach.
    Im pointing out that he is stating the obvious, stuff that most fans already know. That he "also" didn't have a great record as a coach.
    Training camp or not, whether he handled a team with less talent etc etc blah blah, the FACT is that he DID NOT have a great coaching experience to show.
    Can he truly coach? maybe... I leave that to anybody's imagination.
    I personally don't like he analytical skills. I mean he doesn't brake down strategies that much but that is just my opinion,
    This is my personal opinion. I used more words to describe his great character but hey, sorry if I irk people . I guess I don't have a clue , right?...not referring to you Lakers91.

Im pointing out that he is stating the obvious, stuff that most fans already know. That he "also" didn't have a great record as a coach.
    Training camp or not, whether he handled a team with less talent etc etc blah blah, the FACT is that he DID NOT have a great coaching experience to show.
    I personally don't like he analytical skills. I mean he doesn't brake down strategies that much but that is just my opinion,
    This is my personal opinion. I used more words to describe his great character but hey, sorry if I irk people . I guess I don't have a clue , right?...not referring to you Lakers91.
    Oh okay my apologies I misunderstood what you meant, I would agree most already know it but I also don't think there is much better way to bring attention to it other than the greatest Laker of all time (I'm assuming he didn't try and take total credit for such an observation haha), I think it's a rather easy observation to make and he's just bringing attention to it so I won't be too harsh on him. I haven't paid much attention to him as an analyst to be honest, I don't to many analysts anyway though so he's no exception to the rule haha, like it or not analysts to a degree are paid to make an impact and headlines and gain ratings (I.E why Skip Bayless and Smith tend to be popular, people almost watch him for amusement some some of the idiotic things Skip says but it's intentional, he's paid for ratings not for people to find him insightful), I wouldn't say D'Antoni is exactly popular so in a way some might quote these comments to justify their dislike of his coaching type thing (if you're looking for an ulterior motive) or he's just stating the obvious the Lakers defense isn't great :P

Why do the guards always shade a guy to go one way?? Jodie is always pointing to the way he is forcing a guy, but 9x out of 10 there is no help defense to trap the guy or even impede a guy, and he gets one or both feet in the lane??? What is the damn point of that? And everyone of the perimeter guys are doing the same shit.

When you got teams dropping 50 ****ing points in the paint, STOP SHADING a mutha****er to go one way because that shit aint working. Its infuriating. Its despicable to watch. watching the gotdamn Washington Generals out there time after time

It's sad as a fan of the team to watch them get destroyed on defense. Defense is my favorite thing, and this team is making me want to become a freaking Hornets fan for this year.

NBA lottery pick

I agree with Magic, but at the same time I really think a high lottery pick will help this team more than anything right now. It'll give the Lakers a solid starter that isn't getting paid a ton so it will help with the cap and future FA's. So I think the best thing to do is to keep 'antoni and his horrible coaching for the rest of the season. Right now this team is playing bad enough to be in contention for the #1 pick. After the whole CP3 things I'm not sure the league would let that happen, even if Stern is gone . Anyway having a spot in that top 6 would get a team a player like Parker, Wiggins, Exum, Randle, Embiid, or Smart all of which I think could start for LA and make an impact right away. I would say right at the end of the season fire him. That will make the team more attractive to FA's. I think that's the fastest way to turn things around. So as much as I dislike 'antoni this season is now over for the Lakers. May as well just enjoy the games and hope a few guys who could be role players on this team get some experience this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I agree with Magic, but at the same time I really think a high lottery pick will help this team more than anything right now. It'll give the Lakers a solid starter that isn't getting paid a ton so it will help with the cap and future FA's. So I think the best thing to do is to keep 'antoni and his horrible coaching for the rest of the season. Right now this team is playing bad enough to be in contention for the #1 pick. After the whole CP3 things I'm not sure the league would let that happen, even if Stern is gone . Anyway having a spot in that top 6 would get a team a player like Parker, Wiggins, Exum, Randle, Embiid, or Smart all of which I think could start for LA and make an impact right away. I would say right at the end of the season fire him. That will make the team more attractive to FA's. I think that's the fastest way to turn things around. So as much as I dislike 'antoni this season is now over for the Lakers. May as well just enjoy the games and hope a few guys who could be role players on this team get some experience this season.
    Im not a fan of MDA either but I just wonder if Jim Buss just found an excuse of letting him stay one more season bec of the injuries of Kobe, Nash, Blake etc.

NBA lottery pick

Im not a fan of MDA either but I just wonder if Jim Buss just found an excuse of letting him stay one more season bec of the injuries of Kobe, Nash, Blake etc.
    I think if they don't fire 'antoni there's no chance at any FA's. The media keeps talking Melo, but I think the team will be going after a guy like Bosh. I think they'd be interested in Monroe but the Pistons will match any offer. With 'antoni as the head coach I wouldn't see any big man wanting to come here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
    Why do the guards always shade a guy to go one way?? Jodie is always pointing to the way he is forcing a guy, but 9x out of 10 there is no help defense to trap the guy or even impede a guy, and he gets one or both feet in the lane??? What is the damn point of that? And everyone of the perimeter guys are doing the same shit.

When you got teams dropping 50 ****ing points in the paint, STOP SHADING a mutha****er to go one way because that shit aint working. Its infuriating. Its despicable to watch. watching the gotdamn Washington Generals out there time after time

It's sad as a fan of the team to watch them get destroyed on defense. Defense is my favorite thing, and this team is making me want to become a freaking Hornets fan for this year.
    My favorite rant of the year so far!!!
    So freaking true on every point

5-11 as an interim coach, thrown in at the end of a miserable non playoff season after the team has made their vacation plans.
    And that makes him a bad coach???? I doubt any coach would've won a game or 2 more with that sad group....maybe you should do some homework to see what I mean....not just look at stats.....did you even watch basketball then?
    So I guess when Kobe tossed up those would be game winner airballs against Utah in his first playoff series, by that logic you were screaming that the guy was all hype and had no future in the NBA Kobe's not a clutch player
    I actually heard some dodos say crap like that
    Can Magic coach? I have no idea....probably not, but it in the words of Stephen A. Smith, is Assa9, Assa10, Assa11.....to make any statement about coaching ability based on those circumstances
    5-11 is not a measurable sample size.

As for breaking down strategies, I would say that he broke down 'Antoni's lack of strategy just fine.
    Last edited by DKLaker; 01-31-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    5-11 as an interim coach, thrown in at the end of a miserable non playoff season after the team has made their vacation plans.
    And that makes him a bad coach???? I doubt any coach would've won a game or 2 more with that sad group....maybe you should do some homework to see what I mean....not just look at stats.....did you even watch basketball then?
    So I guess when Kobe tossed up those would be game winner airballs against Utah in his first playoff series, by that logic you were screaming that the guy was all hype and had no future in the NBA Kobe's not a clutch player
    I actually heard some dodos say crap like that
    Can Magic coach? I have no idea....probably not, but it in the words of Stephen A. Smith, is Assa9, Assa10, Assa11.....to make any statement about coaching ability based on those circumstances
    5-11 is not a measurable sample size.

As for breaking down strategies, I would say that he broke down 'Antoni's lack of strategy just fine.
    huh, Who stated that Magic is a bad coach?
    read my post again. Yes, I put up his 5-11 record and yes, I said, probably he learned from his past mistakes. What I implied was that he DOESN'T HAVE A GREAT COACHING RECORD= AS IN no proof that he can actually coach.
    Its You so who now proclaimed that Probably he CANT COACH!, not ME, who said in my first post that maybe ha can!!
    Can't you see your hypocrisy 
    Its like a former player who criticizes a present player that he's a bad shooter, I simply pointed out that he shot 35% (small sample size or not!) during his short career.
    About Kobe, if he quit playing after shooting those airballs at Utah, then he became an analyst and blasted another player for bricking at OT, you don't think it's wrong? seriously?
    Hey, DK, do me a favor and just spare me the insults, Ill ignore your post and ignore mine. Prove to everybody that you have more class than
    ripping posters who don't agree with you like
    "oh you are clueless or stupid" but where good right?
    or "no offense" but.....(Im actually insulting you) bec I was a former coach and you don't know what I know.....etc
    Last edited by tamaraw08; 02-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.