Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Better shooter Stephen Curry or JJ Redick?

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    The numbers for Redick this season and Korver last season aren't just slightly better though. They're significantly better. Those guys had/are having historic type seasons shooting the ball.

I don't know, it's hard to compare role players/spot up shooters to off the dribble shooters. Maybe best "pure shooter" is a better term.
    Hell I would say CP3 is a better shooter than Reddick, his mid range pull up/3 is automatic. I am just saying numbers for role players are always better than the reality. In the regular season they just get into a rhythm and keep shooting, also helps when they are not the main focus of the offense.

It's like how Deandre is leading the league in FG percentage but no one in their right mind would say he is the best post scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Hell I would say CP3 is a better shooter than Reddick, his mid range pull up/3 is automatic. I am just saying numbers for role players are always better than the reality. In the regular season they just get into a rhythm and keep shooting, also helps when they are not the main focus of the offense.

It's like how Deandre is leading the league in FG percentage but no one in their right mind would say he is the best post scorer.
    No you're definitely right that role players not being the main focus of an offense should be taken into account.

I'm just saying it's hard to compare them to stars. I don't think we should just automatically disregard guys like Redick and Korver because of them being role players.

Those guys also create alot of shots because of the work they do off the ball, running around screens. How do we know for sure if Durant or whoever would do as well as them in that same role?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

alf. Why give a serious response to such a stupid ****ing question? Who is a better shooter...the guy who has to have screens run for him or hte guy who pulls up 2 feet behind the line...I dunno...who is the ****ing better shooter? Ugh.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 02-02-2016 at 02:21 AM.

No you're definitely right that role players not being the main focus of an offense should be taken into account.

I'm just saying it's hard to compare them to stars. I don't think we should just automatically disregard guys like Redick and Korver because of them being role players.

Those guys also create alot of shots because of the work they do off the ball, running around screens. How do we know Durant or whoever would do as well as them in that same role?
    Well I have watched Durant the most out of any player outside Westbrook, my "eye test" tells me Durant is on another level. You just can't compare them regardless of the numbers, especially when you take into account the attempts. He maintains elite shooting numbers while taking like twice the shots those role players do.

People grab Durant's jersey every time he runs around a screen, they double him OFF THE BALL when it's a close game in the 4th quarter. Nobody gets the defensive attention he does besides maybe Curry. His numbers this season are still amazing and that's when he is coming off major injury and coasting every game. He is letting Westbrook do whatever then taking over in the 4th. Running off screens and waiting to shoot open 3s is the easy part, actually making shots with elite defenders on you and all the pressure is something different. That's why Curry/Durant are in a tier of their own imo.

Well I have watched Durant the most out of any player outside Westbrook, my "eye test" tells me Durant is on another level. You just can't compare them regardless of the numbers, especially when you take into account the attempts. He maintains elite shooting numbers while taking like twice the shots those role players do.

People grab Durant's jersey every time he runs around a screen, they double him OFF THE BALL when it's a close game in the 4th quarter. Nobody gets the defensive attention he does besides maybe Curry. His numbers this season are still amazing and that's when he is coming off major injury and coasting every game. He is letting Westbrook do whatever then taking over in the 4th. Running off screens and waiting to shoot open 3s is the easy part, actually making shots with elite defenders on you and all the pressure is something different. That's why Curry/Durant are in a tier of their own imo.
    Can't really disagree with you on this.

Durant isn't on Curry's level as a shooter though, no one is.

Can't really disagree with you on this.

Durant isn't on Curry's level as a shooter though, no one is.
    This season Curry somehow evolved into something else. They were close before.

Local High School Star TheCalmInsanity's Avatar

Stats for role players are irrelevant, they are not guarded like superstars. In terms of overall shooting ability, it's Curry/Durant, then everybody else. They can shoot from EVERYWHERE on the court, off the dribble, off a screen, on the fastbreak, with 2 defenders in their face.

Idk why people bring up Reddick, Korver, etc. as "best shooters". Literally all their shots are wide open spoon fed baskets when their feet are set. Of course their numbers will be slightly better. If they were guarded like Curry/Durant on daily basis they would be shut down so hard.
    If you're going to argue that, you can also argue that Korver and Redick are more one trick ponies and you can literally play them for their 3 point shot, whereas with Curry you have to also guard the drive and the pass. With Redick and Korver you KNOW they're going to shoot so you guard them accordingly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I feel so old, I remember the JJ Redick vs Adam Morrison debate & Curry putting on a show in march madness like it was yesterday. College Basketball from 2005-2009 was so great for me to watch, don't find it as interesting anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalmInsanity
    If you're going to argue that, you can also argue that Korver and Redick are more one trick ponies and you can literally play them for their 3 point shot, whereas with Curry you have to also guard the drive and the pass. With Redick and Korver you KNOW they're going to shoot so you guard them accordingly.
    But they don't gameplan against them, those role players just take their 8-10 shots a game and that's it, nobody cares about their one trick. Teams are usually more focused on Chris Paul and Blake Griffin when they play the Clippers. There is a reason why they keep getting those open shots, they rather give up those shots then allow superstars to get hot and win the game on their own.

This season Curry somehow evolved into something else. They were close before.
    Yeah he just leapfrogged everybody. I'm sick of seeing his golden boy face everywhere.

Yeah he just leapfrogged everybody. I'm tired of seeing his golden boy face everywhere.
    I am more tired of seeing him chew his ****ing mouthguard every second, dude eats that shit like it's skittles.

I am more tired of seeing him chew his ****ing mouthguard every second, dude eats that shit like it's skittles.
    I dislike that whole team.

Someone needs to stop these ******.

I thought the Spurs would do it but you were right. Warriors had them looking shaky out there. They didn't have Duncan though, let's see how it looks with him in the lineup in San Antonio.

I dislike that whole team.

Someone needs to stop these ******.

I thought the Spurs would do it but you were right. Warriors had them looking shaky out there. They didn't have Duncan though, let's see how it looks with him in the lineup in San Antonio.
    Warriors went from 0 to 100 real quick. Jerry West might actually be a better GM than a player, drafting Klay, Draymond, Barnes, Ezeli made the team legendary.

Local High School Star TheCalmInsanity's Avatar

But they don't gameplan against them, those role players just take their 8-10 shots a game and that's it, nobody cares about their one trick. Teams are usually more focused on Chris Paul and Blake Griffin when they play the Clippers. There is a reason why they keep getting those open shots, they rather give up those shots then allow superstars to get hot and win the game on their own.
    I agree, just giving you another perspective. Either way they're amazing shooters