Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: CP3 = One of the best PG's in league history

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    I think he's been unlucky. If he was playing in the East, he would've probably made an NBA finals already.

That being said, I'm not sure where he fits all-time. He's good at everything, but he just doesn't have anything that sets him apart.

Magic
    Stockton
    Robertson
    Kidd
    Nash
    Parker

Are all unarguably better. And I left some of the older ones that I don't know well enough, like Cousy. Leaving Rose out too because we need to see him play more.
    Tony Parker is not "unarguably better" than Chris Paul. In fact a past-prime Chris Paul was better than a peak Tony Parker just this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Tony Parker is not "unarguably better" than Chris Paul. In fact a past-prime Chris Paul was better than a peak Tony Parker just this past season.
    Paul is past his prime ?

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Paul is past his prime ?
    Yes. Past-peak would be a better way of putting it though.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Yes. Past-peak would be a better way of putting it though.
    Yeah, I agree with saying past peak.

High School Starter

Don't like Parker over paul all-time but anyway if he makes cf or finals that will shut the haters up, Nash only made as far as cf and he's an all-time great pg. Team success is just that but haters like to use it against players

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Cp3 is getting into that Peyton Manning/ Lebron James territory, we get that he's a great player but his greatness needs to be validated with a championship if you're going to put him on a pedestal and claim he's a GOAT.

His team last year was more than loaded, a truly elite player/ GOAT in their prime should be expected to do more with that team than he did last year.

If he doesn't at least make the WCF this year than he's no better at his position currently than Melo is at his.

Enough excuses, you've got the best 6th man in the game, an ALL NBA big man, and a bunch of other talent. Time to get it done

You only say this because you hear Tony Kornheiser and ESPNs whole fleet of idiots bleet it over and over every day.

Its simply not true.

If every team in the league had an exact replica of Lebron James, most of those replicas would retire ringless, because not all of them would get to play on great, championship level teams. Even tho they would be LITERALLY the exact same player.

The "rings" argument in a team sport is simply, and ONLY used by simpletons who can not articulate a comparative analysis between basketball players based in impact, and are the kind of dummies who need "buzz words." You know, things like "rings, killer instinct, closer, "will to win", assassin, "put them on his back" and so forth. Cliches that people who cant talk basketball must rely on in order to participate in a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    You only say this because you hear Tony Kornheiser and ESPNs whole fleet of idiots bleet it over and over every day.

Its simply not true.

If every team in the league had an exact replica of Lebron James, most of those replicas would retire ringless, because not all of them would get to play on great, championship level teams. Even tho they would be LITERALLY the exact same player.

The "rings" argument in a team sport is simply, and ONLY used by simpletons who can not articulate a comparative analysis between basketball players based in impact, and are the kind of dummies who need "buzz words." You know, things like "rings, killer instinct, closer, "will to win", assassin, "put them on his back" and so forth. Cliches that people who cant talk basketball must rely on in order to participate in a conversation.
    Finally someone gets it.

Some players are put in better positions to win than others. That's not an excuse, that's REALITY. If CP played for the Celtics or Lakers instead of the Clippers and Hornets would that suddenly make him a better player? No.

I could understand the criticism if he played bad in the playoffs (Melo), but that's not the case, he's played BETTER in the playoffs than the regular season.

56 win Spurs - defending champs
    54 win Nuggets
    58 win Lakers - defending champs
    62 win Spurs
    56 win Grizzlies

^ How are you supposed to advance past those teams when your 2nd options are David West, injured Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, Carl Landry?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Finally someone gets it.

Some players are put in better positions to win than others. That's not an excuse, that's REALITY. If CP played for the Celtics or Lakers instead of the Clippers and Hornets would that suddenly make him a better player? No.

I could understand the criticism if he played bad in the playoffs (Melo), but that's not the case, he's played BETTER in the playoffs than the regular season.

56 win Spurs - defending champs
    54 win Nuggets
    58 win Lakers - defending champs
    62 win Spurs
    56 win Grizzlies

^ How are you supposed to advance past those teams when your 2nd options are David West, injured Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, Carl Landry?

Exactly right.

Guys like Manning and Melo had a history of underperforming in the playoffs. Thats why championships did/would improve their crediblity, because it means they didnt PERSONALLY choke (most likely, altho sometimes a guy can have a 6/24 clunker and still be carried to a win).

Does anyone have Eli Manning ahead of Jim Kelly and Dan Marino? But but but but he has more ringz!!!

But the problem is that teams who win titles become very popular in the mainstream, and their star player develops a huge stanbase, and those stans lean on "rings" to specifically prop up their guy.

Proles will always be proles. Its the law of the land.

What exactly has Cris Paul ever really done to warrant the extreme amount of credit he receives. At this years ASG, his uniform will look like Melos did last year.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but people are going overboard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    What exactly has Cris Paul ever really done to warrant the extreme amount of credit he receives. At this years ASG, his uniform will look like Melos did last year.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but people are going overboard.

Hes performed as well as anyone in the playoffs and has been one of the most consistent late-game/clutch players in the game.

What else can he do??? Hes played for New Orleans and LAC. Two of the wojst organizations in sports. None of the teams hes played on would have won titles with Lebron James on them instead of Paul. Seriously. All he can do is play his best, and it always results in stud playoff performances. Seriously, what else can HE do???

Michael Jordan didnt win in his first seven years. What if they never get Pippen? Is Michael no good?

You have to look at how guys perform, not compare players by comparing teams.

I dont even like the guy, I think hes a prick. Im just stickin up for the truth.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

top 10 for sure.. his casts are generally underrated a bit though especially in the years he managed to make the second round.

In 08 hes playing with a 21/9 David West, 12/12 2 bpg Tyson Chandler, a 16 ppg 45% 3 pt shooter in Peja.. plus a bunch of defensive role players.

Im sorry but David West has proven himself over the years to be a very good all star quality big man who plays straight winning basketball.. and he was in his prime back in 08 pre acl tear. Tyson Chandler has always been a beast defensively and on the glass.. and he too proved to be an extremely valuable championship piece just a few years later when he averaged pretty much the exact same stats he did w/ the mavs as he did with the hornets.

Youre telling me peak CP3 cant get it done with one of the best pure shooters of all time, and a stacked frontcourt of West/Chandler.. but past prime Dirk can not only get past the second round(where he too was favored to lose)but win the whole gdamn championship with Jason fvcking Terry, a bunch of defensive role players and pretty much the same Tyson?

Sorry.. and now he has one of the most talented squads in the league.. if dude is a first and second round exit his whole career theres no excuses.. he can never be considered better than guys who made way more noise deep.

High School Starter

In 08 peja was past his peak and yea I think they were a decent team I agree but not a great team, they were 1 win away from conf finals against the defending champs and a hell of a team in the spurs who had Duncan, Parker, manu who had a 20 5 5 season plus a pop also cp was huge in both series in 08
    Last edited by joeyjoejoe; 10-29-2013 at 03:23 AM.

The more I watch of him, the more I think he is overrated. I'd take Westbrook and Rose over him on my team without thinking twice. They simply impact the game more and make the defense adjust more.

Hes a great PG, but today's game is full of them, and he simply isn't a good enough athlete IMO to be as good as the best PG's in the game; Westbrook and Rose.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

how about letting him finish his career first huh?

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Im a fan of his game, but he wont win shit with this Clippers team