Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default LeBron's Defense

After going through 0ball's MJ/Shaq defense thread, I was going through NBA.com's player defensive tracking and found something quite interesting:

Of the 7.8 FG's players attempt against LeBron, they've been making only 2.6 of them. Players are shooting 33.3% against LeBron compared to their usual average of 44.4%. A difference of 11.1%. Out of the players, who have played more than 20 games and defended more than 5 shots a game, LeBron has the best differential.

Default Re: LeBron's Defense

Are you talking about Prime LeBron here, or Current 31 yrs.old LeBron?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Are you talking about Prime LeBron here, or Current 31 yrs.old LeBron?
    This season.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/d...gular%20Season

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987

He's playing good defense this season. Much better than his defense last season. Might get an All NBA Defensive Team selection (Second team).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987

After going through 0ball's [COLOR="Red"]MJ/Shaq defense thread[/COLOR], I was going through NBA.com's player defensive tracking and found something quite interesting:

Of the 7.8 FG's players attempt against LeBron, they've been making only 2.6 of them. Players are shooting 33.3% against LeBron compared to their usual average of 44.4%. A difference of 11.1%. Out of the players, who have played more than 20 games and defended more than 5 shots a game, LeBron has the best differential.
    [COLOR="purple"]Lebron might ALSO have greater defensive impact than Shaq, based on the same logic I used for Jordan[/COLOR].. Lebron likely ranks higher among SF's defensively, than Shaq did among centers.. So he might similarly [COLOR="purple"]provide his team[/COLOR] with a greater defensive boxscore advantage over the opposing SF, than Shaq does over the opposing center, meaning Lebron has greater defensive impact than Shaq.

Here's an example of the concept that could apply to Lebron - look at the Ray Allen vs. Jordan DBPM comparison (-1.3 to Jordan's 1.1) and then look at Ray's teammate, C Ervin Johnson vs. Shaq (2.6 to Shaq's 1.6).. [COLOR="Navy"]Now who provided the greater defensive impact to their team??[/COLOR].. Shaq's team realizes no advantage from his rim-protecting impact anytime it's matched or exceeded by the opposing team's center.

Btw, I used the defensive boxscore stat to measure defensive impact because the verbage "defensive box score" makes it easy to conceptualize the advantage in defensive impact a player can provide.. [COLOR="Navy"]But ANY stat/methodology could be used to measure defensive impact[/COLOR] - the point is that we know elite defenders provided their teams with a bigger advantage in defensive impact over their matchup, then Shaq provided over his.

And the same concept applies to Pippen, or ANY elite defensive player that ranks higher defensively at their position than Shaq, who was not an elite defensive center.

Now obviously, MJ, Pippen and Lebron probably DON'T provide their team with a greater defensive impact than guys like Hakeem/Robinson/Mutombo - those guys were elite at their position AS WELL, and likely held a greater advantage in defensive impact over opposing centers... But not Shaq - he was lazy with poor work ethic and only made three 2nd team all defense in 17 years (no 1st teams).. Consequently, his teams were never great defensive teams (ranked in top 6 once in 15 years, thru his Miami days).
    Last edited by 3ball; 02-01-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Lebron might ALSO have greater defensive impact than Shaq, based on the same logic I used for Jordan[/COLOR].. Lebron likely ranks higher up among SF's defensively, than Shaq did among centers.. So he might similarly [COLOR="Navy"]provide his team[/COLOR] with a greater defensive boxscore advantage over the opposing SF, than Shaq does over the opposing center, meaning Lebron has greater defensive impact than Shaq.

Here's an example of the concept that could apply to Lebron - look at the Ray Allen vs. Jordan DBPM comparison (-1.3 to Jordan's 1.1) and then look at Ray's teammate, C Ervin Johnson vs. Shaq (2.6 to Shaq's 1.6).. [COLOR="Navy"]Now who provided the greater defensive impact to their team??[/COLOR].. Shaq's team realizes no ADVANTAGE from his interior impact when it's matched or exceeded by the opposing team's center.

Btw, I used the defensive boxscore stat to measure defensive impact because the verbage "defensive box score" illustrates the point I'm trying to make clearly, regarding the defensive impact advantage a player provides.. [COLOR="Navy"]But ANY stat/methodology could be used to measure defensive impact[/COLOR] - the point is that we know elite defenders at their positions provided their team with a bigger defensive impact advantage over their matchup, then Shaq provided over his.

And the same concept applies to Pippen, or ANY elite defensive player that ranks higher defensively at their position than Shaq, who was not an elite defensive center.

Now obviously, MJ, Pippen and Lebron probably DON'T provide their team with a greater defensive impact than guys like Hakeem/Robinson/Mutombo - those guys were elite at their position AS WELL, and likely held a greater defensive impact advantage in their matchups with opposing centers... But not Shaq - he was lazy with poor work ethic and only made three 2nd team all defense in 17 years (no 1st teams).. His teams were never great defensive teams (ranked in top 6 once in 15 years, thru his Miami days).
    1-9

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    He's playing good defense this season. Much better than his defense last season. Might get an All NBA Defensive Team selection (Second team).
    I doubt it.

Back to Business

smh. how many elite sfs does LeBron guard on a given night? I can only name 3 that MIGHT....KEYWORD MIGHT give him problems...melo,paul George and Durant. Who is he guarding that's a tough cover??? let me look at my cheat sheet.

rudy gay?
    Hayward?
    paul pierce?
    the greek freak?
    chandler parsons?
    trevor ariza?
    deng?
    kobe?
    Harrison barnes?
    kawhi?
    gallinari?

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1
    smh. how many elite sfs does LeBron guard on a given night? I can only name 3 that MIGHT....KEYWORD MIGHT give him problems...melo,paul George and Durant. Who is he guarding that's a tough cover??? let me look at my cheat sheet.

rudy gay?
    Hayward?
    paul pierce?
    the greek freak?
    chandler parsons?
    trevor ariza?
    deng?
    kobe?
    Harrison barnes?
    kawhi?
    gallinari?
    It's not just SF's, you idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1

rudy gay?
    Hayward?
    paul pierce?
    the greek freak?
    chandler parsons?
    trevor ariza?
    deng?
    kobe?
    Harrison barnes?
    kawhi?
    gallinari?
    Kawhi, the DPOY, has to guard the same guys.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

LeBron's problem on the defensive end has always been effort. Obviously he carries a hell of a burden offensively but he could be elite defensively if he tries harder and be more consistent on that end.

He's been great this season, but even then you can see him just not giving a shit defensively on some plays.

I would say an NBA all defense 2nd team is well deserved though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    LeBron's problem on the defensive end has always been effort. Obviously he carries a hell of a burden offensively but he could be elite defensively if he tries harder and be more consistent on that end.

He's been great this season, but even then you can see him just not giving a shit defensively on some plays.

I would say an NBA all defense 2nd team is well deserved though.
    Really? I haven't seen enough Cav's games to comment on that. Kawhi has been kinda disappointing this season. PG and Butler as well. Except Green and Duncan no one really stands out.

EDIT: Well, Gobert, but he has missed time and again, I haven't seen enough Jazz games.

EDIT 2:

Can't figure out if it's from a LeBron stan or a Kobe stan.

Last edited by aj1987; 02-02-2016 at 05:12 AM.

lebron shut pg down today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gileraracer
    The thread is about this season, you inbred baboon.