Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Earned not given

Default MJ's former teammate: Lebron "absolutely" comparable to Michael at this stage

Straight from Bill Cartwright. More and more current and former players saying the same thing. But lets not take their word for it, let's believe some loser on ISH that likes to troll and has never picked up a bball in their life

For five of his six seasons as a member of the Chicago Bulls, Bill Cartwright was Micheal Jordan's teammate. Those five Bulls teams -- between 1988-89 and 1992-'93 - lost twice to the Detroit "Bad Boy" Pistons in the Eastern Conference finals before winning three consecutive NBA championships, after which Jordan "retired" and sat out the 1993-'94 season.

Today, Cartwright -- a former center who played 15 NBA seasons, as well as a former head and assistant coach in the league -- is a successful entrepreneur still living in the Chicago area. He's following the current playoffs and like many observers, marvels at LeBron James, who has carried an injured Cleveland Cavaliers team with a rookie coach and a cast of castaways and playoff neophytes to the 2015 NBA Finals.

In sending Boston, Chicago and Atlanta fishin' for the summer, the Cavs have lost just two of 14 games, and James has averaged 27.6 points, 10.4 rebounds and 8.3 assists in just over 40 minutes.

Last week, I dared to intimate that now, as he caps his 12th season with his fifth consecutive trip to the NBA Finals and threatens to win his third championship ring, James is just as good as Michael Jordan.

Not surprisingly, the mere inference was thought by many to be heresy -- just read the comments on that story. So I reached out to Cartwright, whom I covered when he was a member of the New York Knicks and through his years with the Bulls.

Who better to assess the comparison than someone who battled with Jordan and remains a astute observer of the game?

As always, Cartwright was thoughtful and insightful.

"The big thing about LeBron," he began, "is he's one of rare guys where there's no position for him. He similar to maybe Magic [Johnson]. That's the best comparison because he can play one through five. What can't he do?

"Michael was basically a two-[guard]. What's LeBron? A one? A two? A three? You can't say. That's what makes him an anomaly; there's no match-up for him.

"Michael was as hard as anyone to guard. This guy [LeBron] is really unguardable. Who do you match him with? He's too darn big and too darn strong. Put a big guy on him and he goes around them. Put a small guy on him and he beats him up. He's a nightmare of a match-up."

Cartwright also brought up another significant factor in the comparison: The Cavs overall talent, especially when compared with the Bulls of that era.

"It's really remarkable what he's done there considering the questions marks [about the Cavs], from players to coaches," he said. "He's basically doing everything down there.

"He makes his teammates better, much better. And he is now a leader, the leader on that team.

"Look at Cleveland. Without, Michael, we still felt we could win [the NBA title], and took the Knicks to seven games [before losing] in ['93-'94] Eastern Conference championship. Could [the Cavs without LeBron] do that? I don't think so.

"And like a lot of [great players}, similar to Micheal, similar to [Julius] Doc [Erving], as his career has evolved LeBron became a better and better shooter. Not that they were great [shooters] but if they're on from outside you've got a problem.

So is LeBron comparable to Michael at this stage of his career?

"I would say absolutely, absolutely," Cartwright said.

"He's absolutely on best player on planet right now. I don't think you'd get much argument on that."

Beyond, improved shooting, Cartwright says LeBron had to learn how to win, and that leaving Cleveland for Miami, where he won two titles, played a vital role in that learning curve.

"Michael came into the league early [after his sophomore season at North Carolina]; LeBron and Kobe [Bryant] came in really early. [Both joined the NBA right out of high school.] They had to go through a period of maturing to be able to take on that kind of responsibility.

"Heck, it took us two years to get past Detroit Pistons. Things were not always rose. Not easy. Even when we were winning, there was always doubts.

"LeBron had to leave [Cleveland] to get what he wanted, and to understand what it took to win, what kind of commitment it took to win. Now..."

"Appreciate the guy while he's here," he said. "He's pretty good."
    Last edited by chosen_one6; 05-28-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Default Re: MJ's former teammate: Lebron "absolutely" comparable to Michael at this stage

Comparable doesn't mean on the same level

Earned not given

Default Re: MJ's former teammate: Lebron "absolutely" comparable to Michael at this stage

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol

Synonyms
    1. like, equal, equivalent, similar.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

LeBron haters gon' be mad

I'd like to know what's comparable between them.
    MJ shits on him based on accolades, individual play, peak and longevity. There's barely anything that LeBron can do better than MJ.
    You'd have a better argument against Kobe, and even then, you'd still lose. LeBron just isn't that impactful

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I just heard Jerry West on SC say "I don't know if I've ever seen a player as good as LeBron James"

MJ stans are HEATED right now lmao

MJ shits on him based on accolades, individual play, peak and longevity. There's barely anything that LeBron can do better than MJ.
    You'd have a better argument against Kobe, and even then, you'd still lose. LeBron just isn't that impactful
    Ok. I'll take your opinion on it over a professional NBA player who actually played with MJ. Your basement dwelling neckbeard opinion is quite valuable.

27 10 8 looks great and it is, but LeBron is shooting 42%.

What the ****? LeBron has been one of the most efficient scorers the 09 and suddenly his FG% has plummented.

I know he isn't hitting threes but what is the explanation for this. I'm not a LeBron hater. The 10 boards and 8 assists a game are impressive and I think a postseason high in both categories and he is carrying this team.

I just don't understand the dramatic decrease in efficiency.

I've missed a ton of Cavs games due to work but could someone explain this to me?

Earned not given

Cleveland became a bottom feeder once he left.

5 straight finals appearances.

4 MVPs

Just isn't that much of an impact she says (impactful isnt a word)

Here, have some more...you don't have enough

Local High School Star

Banned

Jordan > Duncan > LeBron > Kobe.

Tony Parker only likes the black jelly beans.

tony kornheiser says that regardless of rings, he's the best player he's ever seen but does acknowledge that he needs 2 more rings to be really comparable to MJ

Quote Originally Posted by upside24
    27 10 8 looks great and it is, but LeBron is shooting 42%.

What the ****? LeBron has been one of the most efficient scorers the 09 and suddenly his FG% has plummented.

I know he isn't hitting threes but what is the explanation for this. I'm not a LeBron hater. The 10 boards and 8 assists a game are impressive and I think a postseason high in both categories and he is carrying this team.

I just don't understand the dramatic decrease in efficiency.

I've missed a ton of Cavs games due to work but could someone explain this to me?
    It's pretty simple. His jumper is broken. When he's in the post, he's quite efficient, but it's the jumpers that are bringing his FG% down. Not sure how that works since he was a great jump shooter the last couple years.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar