Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    owwwww

Default How have unprofessional players screwed over your team?

Vince Carter

- signed to a max deal by the Raptors, two years into his contract he publicly admitted to not trying. went from 16 ppg player to 28 ppg season after the trade was made. he lowered his trade value to the point where Raptors could get nothing of value in return. Alonzo Mourning wouldn't even report to the team.
    - this deal crippled the franchise for years

Hedo Turkoglu

- after having a couple of great years with the Magic, he was signed to a huge contract.
    - by the end of his first year, he began faking injuries (would be spotted partying when he was "sick" or "hurt"), his play suddenly dropped off significantly from the previous years. he requested a trade by the end of the year.

I won't include Bosh in this but if those guys were colluding to join up years before the free agency last year then that's shameful. These are two of more notorious examples in the last 8 years for Raptors but there are more.

Here is what studies on the contract year phenomenon have found:

- The evidence for contract year phenomenon occurrence in MLB is inconsistent. Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't, occurs somewhat though in the MLB
    - rarely ever occurs in the NFL (due to non-guaranteed contracts and relatively low salaries for non-QB players)
    - There is a very high occurrence of contract year phenomenon in the NBA. Many many studies have been done, NBA always ranks highest in performance varying before/after a contract year. This is because of the lengthy guaranteed contracts and the high salaries (kill it one year, and you set yourself up for life).

You can google all the various studies done on this through this link: http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&cp=19&gs...w=1366&bih=643

I've seen people who support players use MLB/NFL studies to act like this doesn't occur in the NBA when this varies greatly from sport to sport.

NBA athletes are by far the most unprofessional in sports, who have used the system to their advantage over the years and screwed over countless teams/owners/fans with stuff like this. And this doesn't even mention players like Melo who held the Nuggets hostage the entire season to get to the team he wanted to go to. Players like LeBron/Bosh/Wade who allegedly colluded before free agency even began about joining up in Miami (and in LeBron's case, informing his team on national TV at the same time everyone else found out). Players killing their trade value so to force a trade.

Now why oh why would want the owners/fans want shorter contracts, non guaranteed deals and a system which won't allow superstars to hold team hostage and go wherever they want (through sign and trades)? How many players are overpaid because they MAKE themselves overpaid by dogging it after signing a contract?

reason #1482991774 I don't support the players on these issues. the system clearly needs to be changed to prevent players from exploiting teams like this.
    Last edited by Fatal9; 11-15-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Default Re: How have unprofessional players screwed over your team?

My Team (The Knicks)

Stephon Marbury - Went insane stopped playing

Steve Francis - Playground player exposed for being not so good

Eddy Curry - Mcdonalds/Fatass - Looks like Biggie Smalls.

Jermone James - Fat/Injured? I dunno what happened but we signed him to a huge contract and I cant remember him playing more like 15 minutes for my Knicks.

And ofc the worst of all
    Isaiah Thomas : Signed all those garbage players to huge contracts and then smiled with that s*** eating grin of his.
    Last edited by 32Dayz; 11-15-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Shawn Kemp whining about wanting his contract reconstructed because some scrub named Jim Mcilvaine got a 35 mil contract.

This was almost the beginning of the end of his career.

I rule the local playground

im a cavs fan

no explanation needed

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz
    Eddy Curry - Mcdonalds/Fatass - Looks like Biggie Smalls.
    And now that his contract has ended, he has lost all that weight and has been working out relentlessly with Tim Grover

Baron Davis.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    And now that his contract has ended, he has lost all that weight and has been working out relentlessly with Tim Grover

Believe it or not I still think Curry has potential.

In today's league I dont think it'd be a stretch to say that he could be a Top 5 Bigman on the offense end anyway if he got back in good shape and stayed that way.

I could easily see him putting up 15-20ppg on high efficiency if he was healthy and in good enough shape to play 30+ minutes.

Guess we'll see how effective he can be next season depending on if Miami signs him or not.

Personally I dont see it happening, he just doesn't have the work ethic or drive to do it.

Also anyone think Curry often looks like he's just smoked a big ol fat Blunt?
    Picture of Biggie for comparison.
    Last edited by 32Dayz; 11-15-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMarkus
    im a cavs fan
    and?

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    and?
    Agreed, Lebron gave the Cav's 7 good years despite never being surrounded by any decent talent.

He left as a "Free" Agent, he didnt do anything to hurt the franchise infact he gave the franchise 7 years of amazing sucuess and playoff runs which they sure as hell wouldnt have had without him so he did alot for the Cleveland fans.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    and?
    We could start with Larry Hughes...

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I'm a Pacers fan. /story

Local High School Star

craptors shouldve surrounded VC with better players...

Quote Originally Posted by HeyMarkus
    im a cavs fan
    Speaks for itself.

Earlier this decade, the Blazers had a bunch of great players and former stars on their roster. The team was deeply stacked. We didn't have a true superstar (eventhough Sheed came close), but we had a lot of quality players on there. There was some on court chemistry lacking some of the time, but what hurt the team more was off the court issues and attitude problems:
    Sheed Wallace was the king of the technicals and getting ejected.
    Kemp was fat and outta shape - we knew that when we signed him.
    everybody was getting high/arrested...

I think that most posters remember the Jailblazers era.

Here's some wikipedia insight for those who don't:

The next two seasons were just as disastrous for the team's reputation. Numerous players, including Wallace, Stoudamire, and Qyntel Woods, were cited for marijuana possession.[58]

Woods pled guilty to first-degree animal abuse for staging dog fights in his house, some involving his pit bull named Hollywood. Hollywood and Woods' other pit bull, Sugar, were confiscated, and Woods was given eighty hours of community service. He also agreed to donate $10,000 to the Oregon Humane Society.
    [59] Wallace was suspended for seven games for threatening a referee.[60]

Zach Randolph and Patterson got in a fight during practice, with Randolph sucker punching his teammate in the eye, an injury which kept Patterson from making a meaningful contribution during the playoffs.[61]

When police came to Stoudamire's house to respond to a burglar alarm, they noticed the smell of marijuana, searched the premises, and found a pound of cannabis located in a crawlspace;[62] the search was later declared illegal and charges in the matter were dropped.[63] Guard Bonzi Wells famously told Sports Illustrated in a 2002 interview:[64]

"[T]hey [the fans] really don't matter to us. They can boo us every day, but they're still going to ask for our autographs if they see us on the street."

Ownership decided to blow the rosterup because of all the issues. We then built around true professionals such as Sebastian Telfair, Zach Randolph, Darius Miles.. oh wait:

Players such as Miles, Patterson, Randolph, and Sebastian Telfair were involved in either on-court bickering or off-court legal incidents
    .. not too mention they sucked out on the court, with most of our guys playing selfish as hell (admitted, they were still young) and b*tching about minutes.