College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Arrow Why isn't Lebron/Carmelo getting the respect from refs.

I've watched nearly every Cav's game and the amount of contact they are letting go is insane. I get it, it's nearly impossible to officiate a player like Lebron and Shaq, they initiate much of the contact and rarely experience the force that comes with it. Lebron this season is attacking the basket relentlessly, in fact this is the highest amount of shots he has attempted at the rim in his career. There were countless occasions where the refs had an opportunity to call a foul but didn't last night.

Don't get me wrong Lebron still get's superstar call's particularly on what he is allowed to do on defense, but "superstars" like James Harden and others are getting to the line more frequently with less contact.

I'm also going to add another player who is also in his 30s who doesn't seem to get the benefit of the calls and that is Carmelo. What do you think is the reason for the lack of calls and do you think it will continue as the season continues?

Some points to note: (Trying to make this as factual as possible so I don't get called a Lebron stan)
    [I]
    James is averaging 7.5 free-throw attempts per game this season, tied for fifth in the league with DeAndre Jordan and Andrew Wiggins. He's trailing only James Harden (10.9), DeMarcus Cousins (10.0), DeMar DeRozan (8.3) and Russell Westbrook (7.6) in receiving the most calls in his favor.

One argument in James
    Last edited by VengefulAngel; 12-18-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Default Re: Why isn't Lebron/Carmelo getting the respect from refs.

LeBron has the reputation of being a flopper so him getting less calls makes sense.

Melo, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
    LeBron has the reputation of being a flopper so him getting less calls makes sense.

Melo, I don't know.
    I wanted to make this a more Melo centric thread but I can't seem to find any logical reason why he doesn't get calls. Melo is the only superstar who doesn't complain about calls during the game so that could be a reason.

they are big and absorb the contract well visually

Banned

A ref publicly mentioned melo creates a lot of contact himself on stationery defenders.that's the rep he has so it effects when he is fouled too. He has plays where they could be called offensive fouls but arent called aswell

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    A ref publicly mentioned melo creates a lot of contact himself on stationery defenders.that's the rep he has so it effects when he is fouled too. He has plays where they could be called offensive fouls but arent called aswell
    Can I have a link please.

imagine yourself as a ref. would you favor your calls towards players that whine, complain and flop?

idk about Melo, but the NBA mentioned that players like Lebron that are too strong are given less calls because they absorb the contact well. as per nba "we call fouls based on how it changes the shot."

that's why KD gets a lot of calls. because of his stick figure, a slight bump changes his shot easily.