Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: Who are the Euroleague Top 10 players?

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Did he really get MVP?

Remind me of local guys like Edney and Batiste. These guys were legends in Europe but meh here. The only legendary about Tyus Edney was his coast to coast last second shot that helped Bruin winning it all. His NBA career was an afterthought.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Well, here are the players that were chosen by Euroleague fans as the 35 GOAT, along with the other nominees. Note that this list was compiled in 2008, so, it's missing the last 6 seasons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Grea...e_Contributors
    Those are coaches and players that are most deserving for developing basketball in Europe and making it more popular, it has nothing to do with top 10 EL players.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    Those are coaches and players that are most deserving for developing basketball in Europe and making it more popular, it has nothing to do with top 10 EL players.
    It absolutely has everything to do with the 10 GOAT EL players. This list covers players judged solely by their Euroleague careers. It doesn't include other pioneering or other legendary contributors of European basketball, like Frank Lubin, who played before the equivalent of Euroleague existed or Oscar Schmidt, who played for lesser, non-Euroleague teams. It just includes 35 players instead of 10 plus 15 more contributors.

this is list of greatest contributors including coaches and referees, it has nothing to do with top 10 list.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Interesting how the supposed "best player" of that bunch lasted around 30 games in the NBA and put up a whopping 2.7 ppg on 32% shooting in his prime.
    jabari parker would single handedly dismantle that... "squad"

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    It absolutely has everything to do with the 10 GOAT EL players. This list covers players judged solely by their Euroleague careers. It doesn't include other pioneering or other legendary contributors of European basketball, like Frank Lubin, who played before the equivalent of Euroleague existed or Oscar Schmidt, who played for lesser, non-Euroleague teams. It just includes 35 players instead of 10 plus 15 more contributors.
    Thread isn't about top 10 ever it's about top 10 now

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Not counting NBA-bound players. Serious thread please.
    What is that supposed to mean?

Serious playground baller

Erceg and Krstic over people like Printezis, Hines and Dunston is a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    Currently, in my opinion:
    (No order, and by current form not the past).

- Rudy Fernandez
    - Sergio Rodriguez
    - Ante Tomic
    - Keith Langfod
    - Daniel Hackett
    - Zoran Erceg
    - Carlos Arroyo
    - Vassilis Spanoulis
    - Derrick Brown
    - Emir Preldzic

Players that in their "normal form" are in the list:

- Milos Teodosic
    - Nenad Krstic
    - Juan Carlos Navarro
    - Dimitris Diamantidis

Maga....what in the world are you thinking at the players in bold?

As for the players in "normal form"...Diamantidis and Navarro have not been in "normal form" for years now. I think it's safe to say they are washed up and done.

And Fiba, spare me the BS about Navarro. Because I know you will start it, with "he had a good ACB finals" crap. No. He can play good still if he only has to play once every 3 days for months on end. That's it. And even then he's not remotely near what he used to be.

He can't even make it on a court if he has to play without 3 days rest any time within a few months period.

Diamantidis is like a zombie on the court. The ONLY time he has ever looked anything other than like an ex player is when he plays in the Greek League where the games are all rigged and the refs let him do whatever he wants.

In any other situation, he can barely even dribble a basketball. if it wasn't for the rigging in the Greek League, he would have been forced to retire years ago, and even then as it is, clearly Panathinaikos is 100% trying to force him to retire this season, if they can before the season ends after they hired Ivanovic. It's absolutely obvious they are trying to kick him to the curb and he won't go.

So I don't see how "normal form" can in any way apply to him. He's a complete has been.

As for Krstic...well, his normal form the last couple of years was pretty awful also. Especially this year for all but like one month of the year he was horrible. So how long do we give players for "normal form"? I think 2 years is pushing it.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 07-20-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Daniel Hackett...aka DJ Hackett that played at USC? Dude was so overrated by Trojan fans, and he's top 10 now? Must have improved.

Mike Taylor, Will Conroy, Gabe Pruitt, Mike Roll, Jared Jordan, etc. all were much superior to the Hack.
    He's not a top 10 player in Euroleague. Maybe he's in the discussion of top 10 in Italian League.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 07-20-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    Boleded aren't even close except Brown.

Erceg was a 2nd PF on CSKA and maybe their 5th best player and you call him top 10 . Arroyo is same as Erceg, great on team like Galata but on better team like Barcelona, Real, CSKA he wouldn't even be first PG.

Preldzic played great in regular season but after that he was bad and that was the reason Fener didn't make it past top 16.

Hackett IMO showed in Armani how overrated he is. Hss FG% was 39%, I'm sorry but that's horrible for someone that is bad on defense and isn't that great of a passer.

Brown is close but there are many players on his postion only that you can argue are better such as Khryapa, Lorbek, Lampe, Bjelica.

Teodosic lead CSKA to win VTB and was named the MVP, same as Navarro did with Barcelona in Endesa so I don't know what would you consdier their normal level of play.

Player that deserves to be named on this list is Oleson. great player that plays on both sides on the court and very efficiant at the same time. Probably the most underrated player in Europe currently.
    Langford isn't even deserving in that list either. Because all he does is shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot.

No defense, no play making, bad shot selection, bad decision making, chucking. And he can only be playing in a wide open team like Milano.

He's like a poor man's version of Sergio Llull, minus even Llull's below average and almost nothing play making.

Oleson is indeed one of the most underrated players in Europe - he deserves to be in the list of top 10 most underrated players in Europe.

Putting him in the top 10 players of Euroleague, not most underrated, but top 10 players of Europe is insane.

Does he make a top 50 list of Euroleague players? OK....then we can talk.

Clearly, you and Maga didn't watch Euroleague this season at all.

If Brad Oleson is a top 10 Euroleague player, then Euroleague is 100 times worse than what any NBA only fan here says it is. And he's one my favorite Euroleague players, so don't think I'm hating on him even one bit.

But that's every bit as crazy as Maga putting Erceg in there.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 07-20-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Maga....what in the world are you thinking?
    Again, they aren't the best players but they contributed way better this season.

And what's your problem with different opinions?
    It looks like i can't have different views of the game?

You can't say that i didn't watch any Euroleague game just because my opinion is different.
    Last edited by Maga_1; 07-20-2014 at 06:25 PM.

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Does he make a top 50 list of Euroleague players? OK....then we can talk.
    The bottom end of that list must be thinner than Lebron's hairline.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    - Erceg is currently the most underrated player in Europe.
    - Erceg and Arroyo were some of the top players in Euroleague this season.
    - Teodosic had an horrible season, lots of ups and downs.
    - Navarro played well in the finals, and 2 or 3 games in Euroleague the entire season.

I didn't argue about this players talent (the ones i left out), they are top 10 easily.. but they had inconsistent seasons, they never performed well for long stretches, while the others did most of the time.

I agree with Oleson, he was tremendous this season for Barcelona.
    Too bad he "wasted" a lot of in Baskonia, on a system that didn't fit him very well.

How can you argue that Brown wasn't better then Lampe and Lorbek? They barely played this year. Again, i talked about currently form.
    Navarro has like one good week of basketball in an entire season for like 3 years now. Fiba just always argues about him on that here. He lives in the past on that. Just like the resident Diamantidis only fans here that will surely jump in this thread and swear he is the best player in Euroleague, even though with 50/50 reffing he can barely even make it past half court in a game without turning the ball over.

Brown is good.........best player at his position? Get serious. He isn't even as good as someone like Printezis. He's a very good player, but come on. Hell, I don't even think he's as good as freaking washed up Nocioni to be honest about it. And Nocioni might just be the worst defender at 4 in all of Euroleague. Is he better than Doellman? Really? I wouldn't even take him over old man Reyes. And for sure Gist is better than he is.

Etc.

Nowhere near top 10.

Erceg......I don't even know what to say..........

OK so,

Fotsis is top 10

Savanovic is top 10

Macvan is top 10

Bjelica is top 10

V. Dragicevic is top 10

Melli is top 10

Petway is top 10

What does he do in anything better than any of these AVERAGE rotation spread fours in Euroleague? I am seriously asking. Because I honestly have no clue at all.

This is the same Erceg that for years has been a bust with Olympiacos and Serbian national team right?

Oleson............again, he;s in the top 10 underrated list probably. Not the top 10 list. He's one of my favorite players, but get serious here - he's not even as good as two guards/combos or swing men like Lojeski, Llull, and guys like that. So how can he be a top 10 player. Or are we adding guys like that to the list?

You guys seriously didn't do any thinking and just threw a bunch of names together. You are right about Navarro though. You can't be a top 10 player when you only play good for 1-2 weeks in a year, despite what Fiba always argues here.

As for Arroyo......he's always been a very very good scorer and ball handler. At his whole career he's been that. But he's a gigantic ball hog. He hogs the ball so freaking much that his teams can't win because of it.

if any team just gives him the ball and the coach just lets him do whatever the hell he wants with it, he can always do well. He could do very well in the NBA at any time like that. But he's Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury disease - always has been and always will be.

90% of the game in there, with the ball, controlling literally EVERYTHING. That's why his career in the NBA went south after he had all the talent to have a great career (could have been a top point guard in the NBA easily) and always started in teams, but his ego is bigger than the team or the coach.

That's why his national team can't ever win shit even though they are probably the best team in Americas for like the last 6 years.

That's why he plays in Europe in teams like Besiktas or Galatasary and not in better teams. Because after he played in teams like Baskonia and Maccabi everyone learned what a freaking huge ego ball hog he is.

So no, he can't be a top 10 player, because he can't lead his team anywhere. He's a very good player and always has been, but in his mind he's Jordan, and he's not. But he plays that way, and his teams can't win that way. He can have all the stuff he wants in some Galatasaray.....no serious Euroleague team would even play the guy. Maccabi couldn't wait to get rid of him.

A top 10 player has to play winning basketball. Arroyo doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Remind me of local guys like Edney and Batiste. These guys were legends in Europe but meh here. The only legendary about Tyus Edney was his coast to coast last second shot that helped Bruin winning it all. His NBA career was an afterthought.
    Scalabrine is a legend in USA.