Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    College star

Default Re: Best european players in history

Dirk is pretty easily #1. I'd love to hear an argument for anyone else who had a better career, international or NBA

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

Easily Dirk

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Sabonis had a better carrer in europe. When he came in to nba he was quite old at that time and after a big injury and still did well. So when he was in his prime he was the best Center in europe. He was Super smart and was good probably at everything that center should do but also could shoot mid and 3pt range very well. Dirk had a far better career in the NBA but Sabonis had a far better career in europe.
    Dirk played in Europe 1 year when he was 18 years old. Are you seriously suggesting that Dirk would not have absolutely dominated European basketball? He was averaging 30/10 in FIBA basketball against national teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    Dirk is pretty easily #1. I'd love to hear an argument for anyone else who had a better career, international or NBA
    Sabonis had a better career in europe. Whe he came in to NBA he was quite old at that time and after a big injury and still did well. So when he was in his prime he was the best center in europe. He was very very smart probably the smartest center or basketball player ever. He was good at everything that a center should do and also could shot mid range and 3pt shots very well. Dirk had a far better career in the NBA but Sabonis had a better career in europe. If Sabonis would have been in the NBA in his prime who knows what would have happened. Sarunas Marciulionis and Sabonis were one the most influencial guys that opened a way from europe to nba.

Sorry double post.

College star

Competition in the NBA is/was inarguably better than it was in Europe, and Dirk won an MVP award and made several All-NBA 1st teams. That's more impressive than dominating European basketball, which Dirk would undoubtedly have done too had he stayed in Europe.

Dirk played in Europe 1 year when he was 18 years old. Are you seriously suggesting that Dirk would not have absolutely dominated European basketball? He was averaging 30/10 in FIBA basketball against national teams.
    No he wouldnt have dominated in europe as he did in the NBA. Because in europe they actually play defence. Yeah real defence not NBA "defence" You couldnt see it from one look but if you really get in to it and analize you see that european basketball is very very very different than NBA. When you see just NBA then yeah even i think maybe those defensive NBA teams are not that bad at defence. But then watch european defence and remember . AH now thats some focking hard defence.
    Last edited by Cermet; 11-26-2009 at 06:07 PM.

College star

No he wouldnt have dominated in europe as he did in the NBA. Because in europe they actually play defence. Yeah real defence not NBA "defence" You couldnt see it from one look but if you really get in to it and analize you see that european basketball is very very very different than NBA. When you see just NBA then yeah even i think maybe those defensive NBA teams are not that bad at defence. But then watch european defence and remember . AH now thats some focking hard defence.

Also one thing that Dirk Novitcky is a PF. he not a true center. So he shouldnt even be in this list.
    I'm from Europe and see plenty of European basketball, thank you. And I also see Dirk regularly schooling International teams at world championships, european championships etc where NO ONE is able to defend him.

I'm from Europe and see plenty of European basketball, thank you. And I also see Dirk regularly schooling International teams at world championships, european championships etc where NO ONE is able to defend him.
    How could you even say that when he didnt play in europe that much. I mean you cant judge from one year of FIBA basket. HAve you actually seen Sabonis when he played when Lithuanian was taken in the soviet unian? I mean go ask a good european basketball expert or maybe even NBA who has some brains he will tell you what Sabonis did for basketball and how good he was in his prime.

Oh and if your from europe and you still love NBA more then euro basketball you cant call your self an european guy. I wont say the either european basketball is better or NBA is better but I will tel you no european person will always prefer Europe basketball. Europeans and Americans ar like Black and white like water and fire completely different.

Not airballing my layups anymore tbc's Avatar

Dejan Bodiroga anyone?

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Default Re: Best european players on history

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Peja, TP, Divac, Detlef, Siekaly > Kukoc

Kukoc was a second coming of Detlef

Sabonis, Petro, and Dirk are top 3. As for the order, that can be debated.

College star

Oh and if your from europe and you still love NBA more then euro basketball you cant call your self an european guy. I wont say the either european basketball is better or NBA is better but I will tel you no european person will always prefer Europe basketball. Europeans and Americans ar like Black and white like water and fire completely different.
    you're ridiculous

you're ridiculous
    Yeah thats a little bit objective. But seriosly if youre european and inteligent and like real basketball with actual defece you WILL prefer european basketball. I mean sure if in your country basketball is not so popular then sure you probably prefer NBA. In my country basketball is very very popular and I dont know anyone who likes NBA more than european and is over 16 years old. Im just saying if there were a surevey of european country that basketball is popular in most of them would say they like European basketball much more. No bull**** were one person scores 40 points almost every second game. I like NBA i cheer for my Blazers and other teams I like but if I really watched every nba game of team I would be bored. So i prefer european basketball more than nba.

The best compromise would be like one person in here said. They are in top 3 but its very debatable

Dirk had the best NBA career, but he never was as dominant as Sabonis in prime, who is considered to be among the best and the most talented centers in the history, Europe and NBA alike. Its not like Sabas havent faced NBA superstars, in prime he toyed with Robinson, in old age and injured he still was good in NBA. Dirk has one thing over Sabas - a bit higher volume scoring, at everything else Dirk is worse - defense, passing, rebounding, blocking, BBIQ, you name it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik

Scottie Pippen: Sabonis was "the best European basketball player to ever play the game".

Sean Elliott routinely claimed that Arvydas "should be in the conversation as one of the greatest centers ever".

Hall of Famer Bill Walton describes "Sabas" as "the greatest passing center of all time".

Dino Radja, “That guy, without his injuries, would have been better than David Robinson,” “Believe me, he was that good. Know him long time. In 1985, he was a beast. He ran the floor like Ralph Sampson. Could shoot the three, dunk. He would have been an NBA all-star 10 years in a row. It's true, I tell you.”
    Last edited by Harison; 11-26-2009 at 07:21 PM.