Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: best at setting the pace of the game

Players that force the most turnovers and also excel in transition and run the offense

I'd say Magic, Stockton, Jordan, CP0, 09 Wade, 2003 Kobe?, Cleveland Lebron was also great at it

Players that control the pace are those that get a lot of touches and also cause trouble for offenses on the other end, so you're looking at high usage players that also are capable of getting steals and blocks on a consistent basis

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Guys who force tempo aren't necessarily the same as guys who control it. Someone like Kevin Johnson, or nowadays Westbrook, are guys who force tempo more than control it.

The first guys that come to mind are Magic and Kidd. Gary Payton was underrated in this regard because he could slow things or speed things defensively by containing or jumping, and offensively because his post game let him slow things too. Rondo is very good at it currently when he's healthy.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

steve nash runn and gunn

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Guys who force tempo aren't necessarily the same as guys who control it. Someone like Kevin Johnson, or nowadays Westbrook, are guys who force tempo more than control it.

The first guys that come to mind are Magic and Kidd. Gary Payton was underrated in this regard because he could slow things or speed things defensively by containing or jumping, and offensively because his post game let him slow things too. Rondo is very good at it currently when he's healthy.
    GP and Rondo are good choices, but I feel like Rondo also forces the action by overpassing at times when he has a shot himself, though he seems to have toned down a little in the past few years.

Westbrook is a lot like Kobe in terms of forcing the tempo, but when they get hot, they have the game in their hands basically and other teams will get gassed by trying to keep up with the scoring.

whenever westbrook is on the floor for the thunder, the tempo gets ratcheted up.

i dont think its by design, but its effective in forcing teams to play at the thunders pace.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Magic, CP3 best 2 prolly
    they control the game

I rule the local playground

Magic Johnson. Man dominated tempo.

Stockton was pretty good too, in a more methodological way in using those 24 seconds to grind the game down to their pace.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Kirk Hinrich is really good at this, when he had young legs Kirkdog was a problem

Prime Kobe, and current Passbe.

College superstar

Magic Johnson has to be first on the list. Just watch a few complete replays of his games and not just highlights.

I just want to add that CP3 is one of the best, if not the best half court PG the game has seen. That being said, CP3 controlling the tempo of the game is easier to do than Magic or Nash speeding the game up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I was going to say this. John Wall pushes the pace with the best of them, but he's still weak when it comes to slowing it down.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    I was going to say this. John Wall pushes the pace with the best of them, but he's still weak when it comes to slowing it down.

Wall is a good example too. The guy's I'm really thinking of are the bench type pace changers. Someone like Nate Robinson. No one wants Nate Robinson running their team 35 minutes a night for an entire season. But when you're down, or your just generally sluggish, and you need to get shots, he's a guy with a genuine role off your bench who can just completely change the pace at which you're playing. It doesn't even seem like that's the case nowadays, he's more a shot taker than tempo pusher. But in his younger days that's what he was great at. And the Bulls who play at a miserable pace usually, have had a run of guys like this from Nate to last year with Augustine. Those guys have value when you need that role.

The guys from back in the day that make me think of that are Robert Pack, Bobby Jackson, Darrell Armstrong.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Magic Johnson has to be first on the list. Just watch a few complete replays of his games and not just highlights.

I just want to add that CP3 is one of the best, if not the best half court PG the game has seen. That being said, CP3 controlling the tempo of the game is easier to do than Magic or Nash speeding the game up.
    Heavily disagree. Players who have complete control of the game is multitasking like crazy. He's listening to coach, reading coverages, deciding on what to do, directing players, and keeping the ball away from the defender with a live dribble while doing all of the above. When a defender forces the issue just like blitzes in the NFL, you have to keep your calm and stay poised while still running your sets effectively. Half-court offense is super difficult if a team don't have individual mismatches and therefore a point guard is supposed to create mismatches with primarily his mind.

Players who speed things up are USUALLY doing things out of instinct and have the defenders react to him. You need awesome team chemistry to be able to pull this kind of style off. Magic was huge as a point guard and was the mismatch on offense like every game. He did whatever he wanted because of his physical gifts and natural feel of the game. It's not easy but to me, it's definitely easier than playing point guard how the coach wants you to.

Having played the point guard position as a natural shooting guard, playing point is no joke. Playing the other positions are much easier if size permits.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    that's why I dislike his game alot. He represents an entire generation of basketball: all the physical tools, some mental toughness but no composure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Heavily disagree. Players who have complete control of the game is multitasking like crazy. He's listening to coach, reading coverages, deciding on what to do, directing players, and keeping the ball away from the defender with a live dribble while doing all of the above. When a defender forces the issue just like blitzes in the NFL, you have to keep your calm and stay poised while still running your sets effectively. Half-court offense is super difficult if a team don't have individual mismatches and therefore a point guard is supposed to create mismatches with primarily his mind.

Players who speed things up are USUALLY doing things out of instinct and have the defenders react to him. You need awesome team chemistry to be able to pull this kind of style off. Magic was huge as a point guard and was the mismatch on offense like every game. He did whatever he wanted because of his physical gifts and natural feel of the game. It's not easy but to me, it's definitely easier than playing point guard how the coach wants you to.

Having played the point guard position as a natural shooting guard, playing point is no joke. Playing the other positions are much easier if size permits.
    excellent post