Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park laronprofit9's Avatar

Default Did Del Harris hinder Kobe's career?

I am having a hard time remembering if Kobe was complaining about playing time under Del Harris during his first 2 seasons.

Anybody have any news articles or quotes, etc... from 96-98 about Harris and Kobe?

Default Re: Did Del Harris hinder Kobe's career?

Quote Originally Posted by laronprofit9
    I am having a hard time remembering if Kobe was complaining about playing time under Del Harris during his first 2 seasons.

Anybody have any news articles or quotes, etc... from 96-98 about Harris and Kobe?
    Kobe really wasn't good enough to crack the starting 5 (or get more playing time than EJ) when Del Harris was coaching (albeit he was better than Eddie Jones, IMO, during the second half of the '98 season).
    Last edited by catch24; 10-09-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Banned

NBA Superstar

Dunking on everybody in the park laronprofit9's Avatar

this has nothing to do with kobe's success now.

I just want to see if there were any articles or quotes etc... from the Laker organization complaining about Del Harris not giving enough playing time for Kobe. I want to know if that was part of the reason why they fired him and had Kurt Rambis coaching in 1999.

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

did harris make kobe brick 3 pointers against the Jazz in the playoffs?? You forgot shaq was on this team too from 1996-2000 before phil took over ?? What about eddie jones/Van exel ?? Was Kobe Better than eddie jones when he was a rookie ?? And why was shaq dominating all the offense and won 3 finals MVPS when phil took over? Was that Coach Del harris or Kurt Rambis fault too ? ..

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

No, Harris has nothing to do with Kobe's first two years. He was too young, and Jones/Nick were very good back than. You can't let player who came straight from HS starting position right away. It wasn't Harris's fault. Every coach would do the same thing.

Kobe didn't complain, worked his a$$ off, and you know the rest of the story. Eddie Jones was more productive than Kobe at that point. Kobe was definitely electrifying when he was in games though.

I remember watching a video of rookie Kobe in practice begging for isolations on the block, saying that he could post up any guard in the league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    Kobe didn't complain, worked his a$$ off, and you know the rest of the story.
    Looking at it that way, Del Harris may have helped Kobe's career. Gave him something to strive for early rather than letting Kobe become complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by ashbelly
    did harris make kobe brick 3 pointers against the Jazz in the playoffs??
    Are you an idiot? Did you even watch the NBA back than? He clearly didn't brick those shots, he shot airballs

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Are you an idiot? Did you even watch the NBA back than? He clearly didn't brick those shots, he shot airballs
    Bricking shots and shooting air balls are all the same to me. He was forcing the shots and just air balling them. And yes, i happened to have followed kobe's overated career, and watched many of his games on tape from his rookie years to when they started winning rings.

Quote Originally Posted by LEFT4DEAD
    No, Harris has nothing to do with Kobe's first two years. He was too young, and Jones/Nick were very good back than. You can't let player who came straight from HS starting position right away. It wasn't Harris's fault. Every coach would do the same thing.
    You might want to change that to " You can't let a a player who came straight from HS get the starting position on a good team" because lebron was good to go from day one when he was drafted.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LEFT4DEAD
    LeBron, Garnett and Amare say hi

Quote Originally Posted by ashbelly
    Bricking shots and shooting air balls are all the same to me. He was forcing the shots and just air balling them. And yes, i happened to have followed kobe's overated career, and watched many of his games on tape from his rookie years to when they started winning rings.
    prove it

Quote Originally Posted by SourGrapes
    prove it
    Thats not neccessary for now,i don't want to be negged.. Like i said before i'm working on an article on kobe's Career. When i drop it, please support it.