Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Scottie Pippen defense vs the Jazz 2000 gm 5 wcsf

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    "held"

First 2 games were blowouts where Kobe had 13 and 12 points on barely any shots, then you look at Game 3 and Kobe goes 25/7/7/2 on 61%FG with a game-saving block on Sabonis at the end to take a 2 - 1 lead, Game 4 is another blowout win for the Lakers and Kobe has 18 points, 7 assists with 2 steals and 3 blocks.

You can blame him for the Game 5 loss all you want but how many players at age 21 (other than Magic) have played that consistently in a big Playoff stage like Kobe did throughout that series, especially on the defensive end.

I don't see you saying anything about Shaq going 7/17 with 3/10 from the FT line in a Game 6 loss where Kobe has 33 points, 6 assists, 4 steals and 3 blocks on 12/24 shooting with 6/9 from three.

And Kobe was far from terrible but you obviously love leaving out stats every time

he averaged 20.4/4.9/5.9/1.6/2.1 with a 55.2%TS in the WCF, led the team in assists, steals and blocks and shot a higher TS% than Shaq. Kobe shot 52% from three in that series.
    This thread isn’t about your loverboy.

Stop ruining threads with your obsession.

look at this clown

put Pip on pretty much any defender other than his own teammate and he'll stop him from penetrating the lane

Pip basically gifted the Bulls one of their Finals games wins against the Jazz with seven threes

who does this Kobe guy think he is?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    look at this clown

put Pip on pretty much any defender other than his own teammate and he'll stop him from penetrating the lane

Pip basically gifted the Bulls one of their Finals games wins against the Jazz with seven threes
    Sigh. Putting Pippen on the opposing teams best scorer is a waste of his talents. What makes Scottie Pippen the greatest perimeter defensive player of all time is his legendary help/team defense. He was always everywhere like you see in this clip. You want him out there like a free safety to disrupt what a team wants to do. That's what he did vs the Jazz. Jerry Sloan was constantly raging against the refs that he was playing illegal defense in those Bulls/Jazz series as he was always playing off his man.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Pippen averaged 11/5/5 on 41%

So he was Andre Roberson

Who cares

MJ won 6 rings with Andre Roberson as 2nd option... thanks OP.. that's been my point all along

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

So he was Andre Roberson

Who cares

MJ won 6 rings with Andre Roberson as 2nd option... thanks OP.. that's been my point all along
    Lost my respect for after that sdothadon post. calling the cops on him not cool.

So he was Andre Roberson

Who cares

This shit should get that ass banned.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loco 50
    This shit should get that ass banned.
    Hes a pretty brutal troll on the subject of any teammate of Jordan....but we ignore it unless hes making too many topics at once. Like the other trolls.

There's a reason Kobe's the 2nd highest non-PG assist getter in history

Yes there is. The same reason Lebron is the all time playoff leading scorer. Playing more games.

Kobes 31st in total but 147th per game. Give Blake Griffin a few more years like the last several he will pass Kobe per game. I dont know why people hang onto those totals like they dont know the people at the top always play way more games....

Its still...nice...to have the totals. But obviously it doesnt tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Sigh. Putting Pippen on the opposing teams best scorer is a waste of his talents. What makes Scottie Pippen the greatest perimeter defensive player of all time is his legendary help/team defense. He was always everywhere like you see in this clip. You want him out there like a free safety to disrupt what a team wants to do. That's what he did vs the Jazz. Jerry Sloan was constantly raging against the refs that he was playing illegal defense in those Bulls/Jazz series as he was always playing off his man.
    I agree - it was his best attribute and contribution to the defense.

though he is also the king of the chase down block

and there's too many factors to consider to decide if Pippen should guard the opposing teams' best scorer, most notably whether it's at the forward position

i.e. Rodman was a better, more effective defender during the early 90s than Pippen ever was, but it was kind of a wash when they played together in the late 90s, and Rodman would be better suited to guard the 4 or 5 at any point in his career than Pippen ever was

however, the 4 was rarely the best scorer in the late 90s, and Rodman rarely guarded the 5

iow Pippen mostly guarded twos and threes

Bulls player guarding opposing team's first scoring option
    91 Finals: Michael Jordan (guarding Magic Johnson)
    92 Finals: Michael Jordan (guarding Clyde Drexler)
    93 Finals: Horace Grant (guarding Charles Barkley)
    96 Finals: Dennis Rodman (guarding Shawn Kemp)
    97 Finals: Dennis Rodman (guarding Karl Malone)
    98 Finals: Dennis Rodman (guarding Karl Malone)
    Last edited by 72-10; 10-13-2019 at 08:38 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Slayer
    Lost my respect for after that sdothadon post. calling the cops on him not cool.
    You guys are all my toilet paper

been wiping my ass with you guys for years

11/5/5 on 41% is Andre Roberson

it is..

you just are just in denial cause ur dumb

and I said i'd beat the shit out of sdot too in self-defense.. don't leave that out.. but he's too afraid to face me... he can only hide behind his computer like a bitch.

like all of you

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    I agree - it was his best attribute and contribution to the defense.

though he is also the king of the chase down block

and there's too many factors to consider to decide if Pippen should guard the opposing teams' best scorer, most notably whether it's at the forward position

i.e. Rodman was a better, more effective defender during the early 90s than Pippen ever was, but it was kind of a wash when they played together in the late 90s, and Rodman would be better suited to guard the 4 or 5 at any point in his career than Pippen ever was

however, the 4 was rarely the best scorer in the late 90s, and Rodman rarely guarded the 5

iow Pippen mostly guarded twos and threes

Bulls player guarding opposing team's first scoring option
    91 Finals: Michael Jordan (guarding Magic Johnson)
    92 Finals: Michael Jordan (guarding Clyde Drexler)
    93 Finals: Horace Grant (guarding Charles Barkley)
    96 Finals: Dennis Rodman (guarding Shawn Kemp)
    97 Finals: Dennis Rodman (guarding Karl Malone)
    98 Finals: Dennis Rodman (guarding Karl Malone)
    Not really. Rodman shouldn't have either of his DPOY awards. He was getting them over a Hakeem and David Robinson at their peaks defensively. His DPOY are a joke. Pippen was a superior defensive player in 94 and 95 to Rodman at his best.

We know the story here

No Pip

No Chip

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

You guys are all my toilet paper

been wiping my ass with you guys for years

11/5/5 on 41% is Andre Roberson

it is..

you just are just in denial cause ur dumb

and I said i'd beat the shit out of sdot too in self-defense.. don't leave that out.. but he's too afraid to face me... he can only hide behind his computer like a bitch.

like all of you

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    3ball will have you believe Pippen's defense didn't mean anything 2 and 3 years earlier when he was even better on the Bulls in 97 and 98, doe. 3ball also gets owned when Scottie makes and takes the huge clutch 3 to win the game...but,but... he was worthless in the clutch! He closed the Jazz out with 23pts 9rebs 8ast 3stl 1blk
    3Ball is a nutty extremist. Im an Mj stan myself but even I have my limits.

But this thread is equally as dumb.

While 3Ball goes to great lengths to diminish Pip's contributions it's mostly a counter to the gross exaggerations of MJ's detractors such as well... this thread.

Pip's contributions have been exaggerated to great lengths by Bron stans to somehow prop up Bron and diminish MJ's contributions, hell.... not even Kobe stans went to these lengths to diminish MJ (for the most part).

Hell, Bron stans have claimed that Grant is an all time great
    BJ is some sort of great PG

And other nutty reaches to prop up Bron.

FACT is, MJ played just as great if not better defense than Pip.

Yeah, call me a nutty stan but MJ was as great if not better but his defensive impact gets silly overlooked. While Pip was a great help defender, MJ was the better lock down defender bar none. Some will even argue that Mj was perhaps the best shutdown defender of all time.

If one actually understood the game they'd notice that MJ was perhaps the best rotation defender of all time aside from perhaps Hakeem. Kenny Smith and others didn't exaggerate when they claimed MJ could guard an entire side of the floor by himself as he switched and moved from one man to the other, deflecting passes, switching off screens to detour plays, double etc.

All of this is easy to search online and easily gets overlooked.

In conclusion, it's ignorant to try to prop up Pip to prop up Bron in order to diminish MJ.

Like Jeru said 'ya playin yaself'

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Are we going to pretend like MJ wasn't a better defender than Pippen? I don't even think Pippen thinks that he was a better defender than him.