Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When Boston finishes the season as good or better than they've been so far...

We will all see just how overrated Rajon Rondo is.

I am not saying they'll be like the Bulls, and go from title contender to decent playoff team because of sheer effort. I am saying they'll improve. They'll finish the year playing no worse than .500 ball, and will make the playoffs, and will be the team no top seed wants to face, just as they would with Rondo. Will they beat the Heat? I vote no. They are beyond old and can't guard the Heat stars, or run with them. But they'll put up a serious fight.

This is not because Rondo is a bad player. It's because Rondo is merely an above-average player who has been confused for a star for too long. And it's also because he has been playing with players who are more naturally suited to ball-dominating and scoring/distributing roles all along (and has robbed them of the opportunity to be much more than catch-and-shooters for most of the first 3 quarters).

I am perfectly aware this thread is prime "bump" material should I be wrong. And I might be.

...But I won't be. 'Cause I'm right.
    Last edited by Clifton; 01-28-2013 at 04:05 PM.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Default Re: When Boston finishes the season as good or better than they've been so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton

I am not saying they'll be like the Bulls, and go from title contender to decent playoff team because of sheer effort. I am saying they'll improve. They'll finish the year playing no worse than .500 ball, and will make the playoffs, and will be the team no top seed wants to face, just as they would with Rondo. Will they beat the Heat? I vote no. They are beyond old and can't guard the Heat stars, or run with them. But they'll put up a serious fight.

This is not because Rondo is a bad player. It's because Rondo is merely an above-average player who has been confused for a star for too long. And it's also because he has been playing with players who are more naturally suited to ball-dominating and scoring/distributing roles all along (and has robbed them of the opportunity to be much more than catch-and-shooters for most of the first 3 quarters).

I am perfectly aware this thread is prime "bump" material should I be wrong. And I might be.

This is a totally baseless claim which could be right, and if you're wrong, who cares? Hardly sticking your neck on the line when you're putting it to a load of strangers on the internet.

I'll humour you, though. Who's playing PG?

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Default Re: When Boston finishes the season as good or better than they've been so far...

And then in the playoffs? They're getting to the Finals I assume.

If they want to make the playoffs they will make the playoffs. If they feel that urgency they have the talent to make it happen. They haven't played with that yet.

I am your soldier!

So if they're under .500 right now, and go 16-16 in their remaining games, that proves Rondo is terrible?

The team cannot play much worse than they have been, and they have to play worse to prove that Rondo is good.

---

You also said that they players on the team are too old and can't run... But Rondo is holding them back.

---

Great logic dick nose.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

If the C's improve with Rondo gone, you won't see the trolling of the C's posters to the level the Bulls posters get trolled.

Since that won't happen, it's nothing to even think about.

This is a totally baseless claim which could be right, and if you're wrong, who cares? Hardly sticking your neck on the line when you're putting it to a load of strangers on the internet.
    Well, in the context of this internet forum, people have reputations, people get "bumped" and exposed, and people remember things people say. There are relationships, friendships, and hatreds on here. Posters have said things from which they've never recovered. Obviously it's much less important than any real life relationship, but none of my friends watch basketball. My friends who watch basketball are all here. I don't want them to think I'm stupid. So making strong claims does present some risk.

You also said that they players on the team are too old and can't run... But Rondo is holding them back.
    That's right.

Being young and running doesn't bring meaningful success in the NBA. However, defensively being able to keep up with your opponent is necessary. That's why the Spurs can't beat the Thunder in a 7 game series any more. However, one guy Rondo's defending the other team's PG doesn't make or break that for a team. Pierce plodding along behind Lebron as he goes for 35 points in the paint is what will break them. Unless Rondo can get ten rebounds, control the paint on defense, or guard Lebron, he's not the answer to the Celtics' problems. Rondo is the answer to a bunch of problems the Celtics don't have and never did. He was just a good player so they had to incorporate him. As soon as he's gone, the team will just play like the Heat do, and other good teams that have no true PG and also no need of one (like the Thunder and the Spurs, - that's 3 of the NBA's 4 best teams).

Too many mindless fans who have jumped on the Rondo bandwagon, he's got a toxic attitude, still doesnt have a reliable jump shot, gives up open shots to embellish his stats.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    This is a totally baseless claim which could be right
    Self refuting argument, you're stating the claim is baseless yet at the same time claiming that it could be true.

Hardly sticking your neck on the line when you're putting it to a load of strangers on the internet.
    And then you state that the OP is not sticking his neck out, because of the anonymity of the internet, yet you hide behind he same anonymity; so do I and everyone else on here.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmer
    Self refuting argument, you're stating the claim is baseless yet at the same time claiming that it could be true.
    You know that a baseless claim means it is BASED on nothing but guesswork? He has nothing to prove it will happen. I can state that the world will end tomorrow. It is based on nothing but conjecture, but it still MIGHT happen. Baseless statement.

And then you state that the OP is not sticking his neck out, because of the anonymity of the internet, yet you hide behind he same anonymity; so do I and everyone else on here.

For the record he made a fair reply; I'm in a similar situation in that I only talk basketball on here and to a select few on Twitter. But I'm not the one making false statements, and neither he or you have answered how the Celtics will win more when they lack a single PG.
    Last edited by BlackWhiteGreen; 01-28-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Rondo has done enough in the last three postseasons to prove he's not overrated.

Whats the point of bookmarking/bumping this. You'll leave anyways

Good High School Starter Celtic_Pride's Avatar

Heat have Lebron, Wade and even Chalmers to penetrate and make plays. Thunder have Westbrook, Durant and Maynor who can do the same.

Who do the Celtics have? Barbosa?

Celtics are a jump shooting team. Pierce doesn't have it in him anymore to carry the offense for 40 minutes a night!

They will be better defensively due to Bradley and Lee starting but they will be worse offensively and on the boards as Rondo is one of the best rebounders Cs have

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Pride
    Heat have Lebron, Wade and even Chalmers to penetrate and make plays. Thunder have Westbrook, Durant and Maynor who can do the same.

Who do the Celtics have? Barbosa?

Celtics are a jump shooting team. Pierce doesn't have it in him anymore to carry the offense for 40 minutes a night!

They will be better defensively due to Bradley and Lee starting but they will be worse offensively and on the boards as Rondo is one of the best rebounders Cs have
    Once upon a time Jason Terry was a PG who averaged over 7 Assists per game. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    So if they're under .500 right now, and go 16-16 in their remaining games, that proves Rondo is terrible?

The team cannot play much worse than they have been, and they have to play worse to prove that Rondo is good.

---

---

Great logic dick nose.

we aint happy about improper sid references man

Learning to shoot layups Celtics_18's Avatar

I agree that they'll finish around .500 the rest of the way and make the playoffs. That doesn't mean in any way that Rondo is overrated. Look at the last few years with the Celtics. They always start off extremely slow.

You people amaze me. Literally EVERY SINGLE YEAR Rondo beasts in the playoffs, then coasts in the regular season and everyone jumps on the "wow, Rondo is overrated" bandwagon.

The worst part about his injury is that he won't be able to throw up his usual numbers in the playoffs and prove you dumbasses wrong again.