Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dwight Howard Talks About Leaving Magic

Quote Originally Posted by greensborohill
    Bucher says his #1 prefered destination is Big D
    OMG, that would be sick

3-time NBA All-Star

I think Boston is being overlooked as a possible destination for him. Like I said, under the old CBA, the Lakers would've only been able to get him through a sign-and-trade. With the new CBA, the Carmelo rule will prohibit trading a player before July 1st of the last year of their contract, and sign-and-trades will be prohibited. The only way the Lakers could trade for him is if they do it this season and Howard exercises his player option so he's still under the same contract. But at best, the Magic would get back Gasol + Bynum, but they'd have to include a contract like Arenas, but more then likely they'll be able to amnesty Arenas anyway. So then they'd probably include Hedo. Bynum is injury prone and would only have another year left anyway, and Gasol will be 31. There's a good chance they'd probably think getting those guys and getting rid of Hedo's contract just to be mediocre with no bright future in sight isn't worth the backlash they'd get from fans for helping Howard go to a place he wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

So like I said, the other options are the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, and Clippers. Clippers are historically bad and have horrible ownership so lets scratch that. The Knicks already have 2 huge contracts, and if they sign Howard they're basically just going to be able to put minimum level players around them. Not to mention, he'd get the ball even less and although he'd clearly be the biggest star there, Melo and Amare will take some shine away. With Brooklyn, they could easily become the Clippers of New York, the Nets aren't historically a great franchise, and there's still question marks about the ownership and his direction. In Boston, he'd play with Rondo and Pierce, possibly have Allen and KG for a few more years, and he'd be worshipped and heralded as the second coming of Bill Russell.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
    OMG, that would be sick
    Yea would be a good fit BUT Dallas has absolutely ZERO chance to grab Dwight. Why? No assets and no cap. You better believe Orlando is trading him even if it means taking a lesser deal. They can't afford to just let him walk in free agency and that would be naive.

Dallas' best players are all older guys in their early-mid 30's. Who would Orlando want from that squad that's actually a part of future plans? At best Dirk can give you 2-3 more all star seasons, which is FAR from a good trade for Dwight. Besides Cuban is so close to Dirk I doubt he'd ever move the guy even if it means for an upgrade.

Dunking on everybody in the park greensborohill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Yea would be a good fit BUT Dallas has absolutely ZERO chance to grab Dwight. Why? No assets and no cap. You better believe Orlando is trading him even if it means taking a lesser deal. They can't afford to just let him walk in free agency and that would be naive.

Dallas' best players are all older guys in their early-mid 30's. Who would Orlando want from that squad that's actually a part of future plans? At best Dirk can give you 2-3 more all star seasons, which is FAR from a good trade for Dwight. Besides Cuban is so close to Dirk I doubt he'd ever move the guy even if it means for an upgrade.

I thought the same thing too, until I saw the Knicks/Melo trade

The player has all the pull in that one, unless the team trading for him is willing to take him and give up a sh!t ton w/o any promises that he re-signs. So I think it's a very real possibility and you'll prob see Dallas structure contracts accordingly once the lockout is over.

Besides, if your Orlando, and you know you are losing D12, you want to get as BAD as you possibly can to get more ping-pong balls. You don't want any half-ass might-be-something talent. You don't want to win 35 games. You want to do what the Cavs did.

Also: I missed the part in there where you actually thought Dirk was going to Orl.

1 - Dirk has a no-trade

2 - The idea is to couple superstars togeter.

Lastly, Dallas could take on a bad contract or two and give back expirings and #1's. It's doable. . . but like I said, and this is my main point D12 will dictate where he wants to go, either via trade or in F/A, he's really holding all the cards just as James & Carmelo did.
    Last edited by greensborohill; 10-17-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86

yea, I feel ya. I would only trade for Dwight if Dirk is around. Try and double that 4/5 combo

But forreals, Dallas has very little to offer. The only think desirable is Roddy Buckets and that young dude Dominique Jones, which is far from anything Orlando would even think about. Maybe S/T with Tyson, or Dallas taking on any salary Orlando wants to dump (you know Cuban would take on any contract)

Cuban tried to get the original Superman to team with Dirkules, what if he ends up getting the next Superman????

Dirk+DH would be uber sick to watch.

yea, I feel ya. I would only trade for Dwight if Dirk is around. Try and double that 4/5 combo

But forreals, Dallas has very little to offer. The only think desirable is Roddy Buckets and that young dude Dominique Jones, which is far from anything Orlando would even think about. Maybe S/T with Tyson, or Dallas taking on any salary Orlando wants to dump (you know Cuban would take on any contract)

Cuban tried to get the original Superman to team with Dirkules, what if he ends up getting the next Superman????

Dirk & D12 compliment each other, unlike James & Wade. Would be nice to see. Like I said, if Bucher's sources are correct and D12 wants to be here, he'll have a good shot of forcing his way here.

The player has all the pull in that one, unless the team trading for him is willing to take him and give up a sh!t ton w/o any promises that he re-signs. So I think it's a very real possibility and you'll prob see Dallas structure contracts accordingly once the lockout is over.

Besides, if your Orlando, and you know you are losing D12, you want to get as BAD as you possibly can to get more ping-pong balls. You don't want any half-ass might-be-something talent. You don't want to win 35 games. You want to do what the Cavs did.

Also: I missed the part in there where you actually thought Dirk was going to Orl.

1 - Dirk has a no-trade

Lastly, Dallas could take on a bad contract or two and give back expirings and #1's. It's doable. . . but like I said, and this is my main point D12 will dictate where he wants to go, either via trade or in F/A, he's really holding all the cards just as James & Carmelo did.

Knicks situation is nothing like Mavericks one dude. The Nuggets got like 3-4 LEGIT young pieces in Gallinari, Chandler, Mozgov, Felton AND they got 2014 first rounder, 2 future second rounders and cash. Mavs literally don't have the assets to offer a relatively equal deal like that for Dwight. The Nuggets gave up a star player BUT added 4 capable rotation players and 3 starters. So they essentially went from a very deep team to arguably the deepest in the NBA.

Which is why they surprised everyone and ranked 1st in overall offense and like 7th in overall defense the second half of the season and took the league by storm. Unfortunately for Denver it's doubtful they will be able to keep half of the young talent they have.... but if they do watch out. This team reminds me of the 04 Pistons (not as dominant but REALLY underrated) where on any given night any player can bust your as* and they are like 9 deep as a roster.

Exactly. I agree it would be an amazingly good combo, they would work excellent together and all that but unfortunately we will never see it ; (. Dirk of last year+Dwight would of been the best combo in the league for sure in terms of dominance. Mavs would of swept the playoffs easily.

Plus therr's always the poss. of bringing in a 3rd team. D12 will go where he wants to go regardless of that teams cap situation. That's whay it's called free agency.

Dirk & D12 compliment each other, unlike James & Wade. Would be nice to see. Like I said, if Bucher's sources are correct and D12 wants to be here, he'll have a good shot of forcing his way here.
    Come to think of it, I can't even think of a better star 4/5 combo ever which compliment each other as well as these two (based on style of play). Maybe Shaq/KG, maybe Sheed/Sabonis if we could have seen them in their relative respective primes.

But I am hesistant to trust Bucher unless I see who his sources are.

But Dallas has never been afraid to shake things up (which might have been the cause of their early exits previous years) But if you can get a Howard type, you go for it, even if you just got a title.

3-time NBA All-Star

1 - Dirk has a no-trade

Melo dictated his way into NY though because NY would've had the cap space to sign him anyway during FA. Neither the Lakers or Dallas have that. This is not the same situation as Lebron or Melo at all, because none of the rumored preferred destinations of Howard will be able to sign him outright even without a sign-and-trade. And like I said, the new CBA will most likely prohibit sign-and-trades.

amare for dwight, then sign cp3.

Dwight
    random FA pickup
    Melo
    Fields/Shumpert
    Cp3/Tdoug

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So who actually has cap space assuming the system stays the same? Ive heard little about it. I know all the major spots burned theirs up with the possible exception of the Nets.

I feel like I heard that the Thunder may have some if they choose to create it.

He will be gone no matter what

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    So who actually has cap space assuming the system stays the same? Ive heard little about it. I know all the major spots burned theirs up with the possible exception of the Nets.

I feel like I heard that the Thunder may have some if they choose to create it.
    Under the current system, I think only the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, and Clippers would have it.