Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Walt Frazier: If Wilt Was Playing Today He'd Average 75 A Game

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Na he'd be more along the lines of this:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...mcgeeja01.html
    McGee would average at least 95 points a game in the 60s.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Not once have I mentioned any form of statistics.
    and THE_YEARNING isn't many posters

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by cteach111
    no, people are smart enough to realize that its retarded to make the ridiculous statement that Wilt would average 75. No one's doing that.

The game has changed. No, i'm not implying that Wilt played a bunch of short, white dudes.. I'm talking about possessions. There's not enough to be generating points like that.

Also, let's just skip over the fact that he averaged 48.5 mpg. So... over 48 mpg and 100-120 possessions per game and he averaged 50. If I recall correctly, he also had virtually 40 field goal attempts per game.

So, he's gonna average 75 ppg in this slow-paced era where Wack-a-Wilt will be in full effect every game. Right..

Look, to even it out, Jordan's not putting up 50 or whatever in this era either. Do the math man..
    No, he is not putting up 50 ppg. BUT, if Kobe could get 28 FGAs in the '06 season, and given the fact that a PRIME Wilt could start his offense from 15+ feet, and had solid range, with exceptional quickness, 25+ FGAs would not be out of the question. Especially since Wilt would be leading the league in MPG...at probably around 42-43 mpg. Furthermore, Wilt would be MORE effcient for TWO reasons. One, the NBA, as a whole, is considerably more efficient (especially when you factor in eFG%) than when Wilt played. And two, Wilt's effciency would naturally go up, since he would be better rested (in terms of both single games...and over the course of the entire season.)

Psileas made an interesting post a while back. Wilt, at the beginning of his 69-70 season, was aked by his coach to become the focal point of the Laker offense. In the first nine games of the season, he averaged 32.2 ppg on 60% shooting. Unfortunately, he shredded his knee, and we never got to what he might have accomplished in a full season. In any case, that was NOT a PRIME Wilt.

Give Wilt 25 FGAs, and at 60% shooting, and he would be scoring 30 ppg just in terms of FGAs. Add in another 5+ from the line...and you have a 35 ppg scorer. Even at 20 FGAs, and on 60% shooting, and with his FTAs, he would still be close to 30 ppg. Is that unrealistic?
    Last edited by jlauber; 10-13-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Banned

Look at Ryan Hollins's current numbers, those are what Wilt's numbers would be in today's league.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Friday
    Look at Ryan Hollins's current numbers, those are what Wilt's numbers would be in today's league.
    Yep...if you pulled his corpse from the ground and propped him up near the basket. Just by bouncing the ball off of Wilt's head he would probably eclipse Hollins scoring.

And I doubt Hollins could score over Wilt's corpse, either.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    No, he is not putting up 50 ppg. BUT, if Kobe could get 28 FGAs in the '06 season, and given the fact that a PRIME Wilt could start his offense from 15+ feet, and had solid range, with exceptional quickness, 25+ FGAs would not be out of the question. Especially since Wilt would be leading the league in MPG...at probably around 42-43 mpg. Furthermore, Wilt would be MORE effcient for TWO reasons. One, the NBA, as a whole, is considerably more efficient (especially when you factor in eFG%) than when Wilt played. And two, Wilt's effciency would naturally go up, since he would be better rested (in terms of both single games...and over the course of the entire season.)

Give Wilt 25 FGAs, and at 60% shooting, and he would be scoring 30 ppg just in terms of FGAs. Add in another 5+ from the line...and you have a 35 ppg scorer. Even at 20 FGAs, and on 60% shooting, and with his FTAs, he would still be close to 30 ppg. Is that unrealistic?
    it's absolutely realistic that a player of Wilt's caliber would put up 30ppg. I wouldn't question that.

I would expect him to have a few seasons of that quality.

Yep...when I read that a injury-prone COW like Bynum would be a better player...well, ...
    I'm sure numerous posters here and on the realgm forums believe it, whether or not they will actually say so. The inability to draw a double team? What makes him better than Sammy Dalembert in their eyes? How can one even begin to debate Wilt as an all-time player with people like this?

and THE_YEARNING isn't many posters
    Nor have I specified anyone in this thread, or forum.

Banned

I'm sure numerous posters here and on the realgm forums believe it, whether or not they will actually say so. The inability to draw a double team? What makes him better than Sammy Dalembert in their eyes? How can one even begin to debate Wilt as an all-time player with people like this?
    Just curious, did you ever watch Wilt play live?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Wilt would be amongst the elite Centers playing today. He wouldn't post anywhere near his career numbers, but I could see him posting anywhere from 15-25 ppg, depending on the situation, and he would certainly be one of the top rebounders in the league as well.

Dunking on everybody in the park Tha Catalyst's Avatar

I think he would be around Shaq scoring numbers with better rebounding and block numbers. Offense is generated from the perimeter these days and even a player like Shaq had limited touches in his prime. Peak of around 35 ppg and 15rpg, which would be good for best player in the league during his prime no doubt. He isn't getting over 40ppg, I doubt those number will be approached again, and will not be getting over 20 rebounds.

3-time NBA All-Star

And I also have to shake my head at Wilt NOT drawing double-teams. Even in the limited footage that exists from the '64, '67 Finals (two HALVES), '70, and '72 Finals, almost every time Wilt catches a pass, and makes a move to the basket, he is swarmed.

Sure he manages to get some one-on-one shots, but very seldom. Of course, if anyone actually researched this, they would KNOW that Wilt was SWARMED by opposing TEAMS for much of his career. Even the Celtics, with Russell, used a TEAM defensive approach. AND, Wilt was BRUTALIZED, too.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

You have a lot of people here that don't know basketball. Wilt would dominate in today's NBA. Have you seen NBA centers these days..their terrible. They are very athletic, but that's it. Wilt would eat these guys up. Frazier was not being literal when he said Wilt would score 75ppg. Come on guys..can't you figure that out. When he says that he means that Wilt would dominate in today's game easily. Even a out of prime Wilt would dominate. By your logic I guess Lebron will be considered a scrub 20 years from now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

There is no reason to believe that a prime Wilt would not score between 30 and 35 ppg in the current league.

Todays nba players are too good to straight up double a center....

30/15 prime