Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Former Bulls Fan.

Default How would 52 yr old Michael Jordan do in college ball?

He's obviously too old for the NBA, and we've had that discussion thousands of times over the years but the real question is how would Michael Jordan do right now playing for North Carolina?

I remember the recent SportsNation tweet asking if the current Kentucky Wildcats are better than the 72-10 Bulls and I was like wow, but then I thought about it and thought how would CURRENT Michael Jordan do against the Wildcats?
    How would he do against the rest of the college competition?

Default Re: How would 52 yr old Michael Jordan do in college ball?

He'd look like the peak MJ of old, come on man. Remember him taking OJ Mayo to school when he was the top HS recruit? Never been the same since.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    He'd look like the peak MJ of old, come on man. Remember him taking OJ Mayo to school when he was the top HS recruit? Never been the same since.
    For 5 minutes in a half court game...

For 40 minutes in full court basketball running end to end? MJ is kinda fat these days I don't know if you've noticed.

10-3-3

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    For 5 minutes in a half court game...

For 40 minutes in full court basketball running end to end? MJ is kinda fat these days I don't know if you've noticed.
    His conditioning would be better if he was playing. I bet he could score on anyone but gets hurt after a few games.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    His conditioning would be better if he was playing. I bet he could score on anyone but gets hurt after a few games.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

very bad, he'd make some shots if he gets to play only on one end of the floor tho

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    It would take him at least a year of intense conditioning to lose some of that gut and get into playing shape though would it not? He's in his 50's, he might get injured before he even plays just trying to get into some sort of game shape. I have no doubt about his skills they'd all be there. The elevation and quickness would be gone but that's not really that big a deal his IQ is so high and his arms are still long and his hands are still gigantic.. but his conditioning and recovery time being that he's in his 50's is a big drawback to playing full-court competitive basketball game against teenagers and 20 somethings. Guys that are at maximum explosiveness, and can really take physical punishment and still recover quickly and not feel any hint of being old and tired.

Half court one on one for a few minutes, yeah he'll beat a great deal of guys still. Full court 5 on 5 I'm not so sure he could handle that so well.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-29-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    very bad, he'd make some shots if he gets to play only on one end of the floor tho
    this.

Former Bulls Fan.

Interested in 3balls' response.

Decent playground baller

He'd do fine in the half court setting of both college and NBA ball. The problem is keeping up running back and forth up the court without injuries.

wouldn't last physically.

If he put in an entire year of intense physical training to get in shape, dropped to around his old playing weight...he could be fine. He would have to be on incredibly careful minutes management, need very good coaching to put him in the right spots. But he could be decently effective in small minutes if he doesn't get hurt right away. Wouldn't dominate but he'd be a solid offensive player purely on BBIQ, skills, feel. Would get torched defensively though.

National High School Star

wheres 3 ball

He'll prob argue some bs about how MJ would still have his navigational and isolation efficiency

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    If he put in an entire year of intense physical training to get in shape, dropped to around his old playing weight...he could be fine. He would have to be on incredibly careful minutes management, need very good coaching to put him in the right spots. But he could be decently effective in small minutes if he doesn't get hurt right away. Wouldn't dominate but he'd be a solid offensive player purely on BBIQ, skills, feel. Would get torched defensively though.
    Recovery time though.

A 20 something can play a game, and do a 2 a day practice the next day.

MJ, might play a game and be bed ridden for 2 days and still be sore as hell the 3rd, 4th, and 5th day no exaggerating. That's part of getting old, he's nearing senior citizenship for crying out loud.

Though he may not need "practice" so to speak, for his own individual skillsets, he'd need to be able to practice with a team, travel with a team, etc to become a part of a team. He could not handle the rigors of a basketball program of 20 year olds I'm just not sure it would be feasible.

Plus, that recovery time applies to injuries. One torn ligament, one rolled ankle, it all heals probably 2 to 3 times more slowly when your 50 as opposed to 20. He could really mess himself up physically, playing competitive basketball against 20 somethings with any sort of seriousness, regularity, and commitment to actually trying to win games and be a part of a team.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-29-2015 at 05:14 PM.