Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Re: Obama about to announce a major policy shift on Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    Washington (CNN) -- U.S. contractor Alan Gross, held by the Cuban government since 2009, was freed Wednesday as part of a landmark deal with Cuba that paves the way for a major overhaul in U.S. policy toward the island, senior administration officials tell CNN.
    President Barack Obama is expected to announce Gross' release at noon in Washington. At around the same time, Cuban president Raul Castro will speak about it in Havana.
    Gross' "humanitarian" release by Cuba was accompanied by a separate spy swap, the officials said. Cuba also freed a U.S. intelligence source who has been jailed in Cuba for more than 20 years, although authorities did not identify that person for security reasons. The U.S. released three Cuban intelligence agents convicted of espionage in 2001.
    President Obama is also set to announce a major loosening of travel and economic restrictions and begin discussions on re-opening the U.S. embassy there in what officials called the most sweeping change in U.S. policy toward Cuba since 1961, when the embassy closed and the embargo was imposed.
    Officials described the planned actions as the most forceful changes the president could make without legislation passing through Congress.
    Cuban agents to be 'treated as heroes' Before release, Gross told wife 'goodbye'

For a President who took office promising to engage Cuba, the move could help shape Obama's foreign policy legacy.
    "We are charting a new course toward Cuba," a senior administration official said. "The President understood the time was right to attempt a new approach, both because of the beginnings of changes in Cuba and because of the impediment this was causing for our regional policy."

Gross was arrested after traveling under a program under the U.S. Agency for International Development to deliver satellite phones and other communications equipment to the island's small Jewish population.

Cuban officials charged he was trying to foment a "Cuban Spring." In 2011, he was convicted and sentenced to 15 years in prison for attempting to set up an Internet network for Cuban dissidents "to promote destabilizing activities and subvert constitutional order."
    After losing hope and health in Cuba, Gross finally released

Senior administration officials and Cuba observers have said recent reforms on the island and changing attitudes in the United States have created an opening for improved relations. U.S. and Cuban officials say Washington and Havana in recent months have increased official technical-level contacts on a variety of issues.
    Obama publicly acknowledged for the first time last week that Washington was negotiating with Havana for Gross' release through a "variety of channels."
    "We've been in conversations about how we can get Alan Gross home for quite some time," Obama said in an interview with Fusion television network. "We continue to be concerned about him."
    Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., and Rep. Chris Van Hollen, Gross' Maryland congressman, are on the plane with Alan Gross and his wife, Judy, according to government officials.
    The group of members left at 4 a.m. ET Wednesday from Washington for Cuba.

Dat international influence

Aint just lobbied to get the homie out, but got a 60 year international foreign policy reversed

It's funny how most of the reactions in this thread are "MUH CIGARS!" or "woo, now i can go on holiday there"

Typical modern American attitude- thinking of the world as its theme park. All that fanfare about liberty and freedom is just that.

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    It's funny how most of the reactions in this thread are "MUH CIGARS!" or "woo, now i can go on holiday there"

Typical modern American attitude- thinking of the world as its theme park. All that fanfare about liberty and freedom is just that.
    you realize that american tourism and commerce in Cuba will help lift up Cubans right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    So many Communists murdered by America for what? Seeing as they now want to befriend these corrupt Nations.

Your avatar is hilarious as the Pope helped broker this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Same here. Could become the next Punta Cana.
    It's pretty nice, we Canadians have been vacationing there for decades, partially because it's a great destination to get away form American tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by kwajo
    It's pretty nice, we Canadians have been vacationing there for decades, partially because it's a great destination to get away form American tourists.

Ha! Last time I was in the DR I met some Canadians who told me the same thing. Maybe I can get in there before the rush.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

The United States didn't put Cuba into the predicament they've been in for the last 50 years.

NBA Superstar

Cuba is about to get American industrialized. seems like they're opening their arms to it too.

i'd give it a good couple years before visting tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    Cuba is about to get American industrialized. seems like they're opening their arms to it too.

i'd give it a good couple years before visting tho.
    the rest of the world have been visiting cuba safely for years now. americans could actually do it too, but they would have to fly to another country first

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    the rest of the world have been visiting cuba safely for years now. americans could actually do it too, but they would have to fly to another country first

i was under the impression Cuba was pretty dangerous these days?

maybe i'm thinking of somewhere else...

They fail to realize the US government has spent the last 60 years (at least) limiting and destroying Americans education only to now began to open the flood gates for the smarter immigrants to come in. Ouch.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

If you stay in the resorts, it's incredibly safe (like most other places). The security everywhere is more to keep tabs on the Cuban workers and keep them in line. If you leave the resort, it's not dangerous but keep a close eye on your stuff. Just a ton of poverty everywhere.

Overall Crime and Safety Situation

Because Cuba is a police-state, there is a large police presence that provides security in the streets. The United States does not have full diplomatic relations with Cuba, but Cuba welcomes American travelers and Americans are generally well received. Although official crime statistics are not published, evidence suggests that crime is increasing while police response remains substandard.

Most crime can be characterized as non-confrontational (i.e. pick-pocketing, purse-snatching, fraud schemes, and theft of unoccupied cars and/or dwellings). Unfortunately, American travelers are perceived to be wealthy and are many times the target of these types of crimes. While most tourist hotels are relatively safe in Havana, pick-pockets, prostitutes, and other criminals tend to congregate around these hotels, and Americans should take basic precautions to avoid being the target of these criminals. While violent crime is not common, there were a few violent crimes involving American citizens in 2012, including an American citizen who was stabbed to death in an apparent act of vengeance.

Cuba has a commercial sex trade, and visitors should understand that their private activity may be monitored by Cuban authorities and could potentially be used to compromise them. Visitors should also be aware that although the age of consent in Cuba is 16, sexual activity with anyone under the age of 18 could be a violation of U.S. law and subject to prosecution in the United States.
    safer then chicago

College superstar

I expect a boom in cigar sales.

Smoke up

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Bravo Obama! Great decision and he is making the Republicans heads explode. GOP can't do anything to stop the prez about this.
    Viva Cuba!