Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Simple case AGAINST raising the minimum wage.

A federal minimum wage law has always been a means of discrimination, levied by the central government, often against black people. The law originated out of provincial racism (like many entitlement projects, funnily enough), with whites fearful of being undercut by migrating blacks from the South.

Black youths are disproportionately affected (negatively) by the minimum wage law, which is a great impediment to their acquiring skills. The last time there was parity between white and black youth unemployment was in the 50s, unsurprisingly, after a period of inflation had made the minimum wage redundant. Ever since then there has been a divergence in unemployment rates, especially among young males, with blacks fairing much worse than whites. There is nothing worse for a population than for their young males to have nothing to do with their time, why? Because young males always make trouble when they haven't got responsibilities and things to do.

So the situation has got worse as the amount of overt racial discrimination has gone down, which tells you something (particularly, how destructive the minimum wage law has been, and how its racist outcomes are far worse than any private business refusing to serve or hire a black person). For some reason, the government is allowed to be racist, but business owners no longer have a right to serve whomever the hell they want (what does that say? People no longer see businesses as independent, but as some kind of offshoot of the government, fitted to its demands and standards). Everything needs a license, everything needs the hand of government pushing it along, and thus if anyone wants to get ahead in life they need large amounts of capital, or government contacts - this is for some reason a 'fair world' for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    A federal minimum wage law has always been a means of discrimination, levied by the central government, often against black people. The law originated out of provincial racism (like many entitlement projects, funnily enough), with whites fearful of being undercut by migrating blacks from the South.

Black youths are disproportionately affected (negatively) by the minimum wage law, which is a great impediment to their acquiring skills. The last time there was parity between white and black youth unemployment was in the 50s, unsurprisingly, after a period of inflation had made the minimum wage redundant. Ever since then there has been a divergence in unemployment rates, especially among young males, with blacks fairing much worse than whites. There is nothing worse for a population than for their young males to have nothing to do with their time, why? Because young males always make trouble when they haven't got responsibilities and things to do.

So the situation has got worse as the amount of overt racial discrimination has gone down, which tells you something (particularly, how destructive the minimum wage law has been, and how its racist outcomes are far worse than any private business refusing to serve or hire a black person). For some reason, the government is allowed to be racist, but business owners no longer have a right to serve whomever the hell they want (what does that say? People no longer see businesses as independent, but as some kind of offshoot of the government, fitted to its demands and standards). Everything needs a license, everything needs the hand of government pushing it along, and thus if anyone wants to get ahead in life they need large amounts of capital, or government contacts - this is for some reason a 'fair world' for everyone.
    Just shut up, silly. You don't know what you're rambling about. Minimum wage is now racist? What a comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    Just shut up, silly. You don't know what you're rambling about. Minimum wage is now racist? What a comedy.
    No, it's a fact, and you're an ignorant fool who doesn't know his history. The first national minimum wage law in the US was the Davis-Bacon Act, and it was overtly racist. If it was racist in the first place, then why exactly would it be less so now? Just because you and Americans have forgotten the reason behind something, doesn't mean the effects aren't still there (take a quick look and black youth unemployment figures why don't you - much worse than the 50s!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis%E...con_Act#Racism

I don't know why you so often run your mouth about America when you know literally nothing of its history - you just have the typical arrogant, ignorant and conceited view that stupid and insecure Europeans have about America and Americans (i.e. dat dey is stupid and backwards and have guns and stuff and we are so clever and sophisticated and European, etc.). Needless to say these people, in their interests and culture, are actually American to the bone - this is some unusual form of masochistic self-hatred.

A federal minimum wage law has always been a means of discrimination, levied by the central government, often against black people.

The law originated out of provincial racism....

a minimum wage may not be given w/the best of intentions, fine.

most corporations must still be mandated to treat workers fairly, however, imho.

basic rights (e.g., minimum wage, 8-12 hour days, lunch breaks) were not traditionally provided.

Price may not have the best of intentions, & may simply be setting a high minimum salary for PR reasons.

i still applaud it, vs. other corporations who squeeze employees like oranges, & pay unethically low wages just because they can.

they're ****ing people with non-full time shit so what does the minimum wage matter?

I think the idea would be to attempt to offer full time employment when possible, then in the jobs that people don't want for large hours (students, etc) would be on a totally different pay scale. It's kind of like that except... some people may want to be working full time at McDonalds or Wal-Mart without being a manager.

It gets people more jobs to keep everyone on low hours no matter what they want, but is that better? This whole thing is really complicated. It's not just more money is better. It's a core issue that starts with education.

If you're not legit retarded (and I'm sorry if people are.) That is... if your IQ is above 80 or so, you should have the skills to get plenty of jobs in America. If you don't have them, that is a failure of the system.

Once they can get that taken care of, they will have the pick of people who actually want to work and stop employing all of these dead weight people. Which, of course, sounds bogus as **** but it's true. The whole country is going down the drain in some part due to our inept work force.

Giving people more money sounds good, and it's probably within everyone's means ( at least the larger corporations) to give it, but it doesn't solve anything.

-Smak

"The market rate for me as a CEO compared to a regular person is ridiculous, it's absurd," said Price.
    off course that is. Like it's even more ridiculous that 80 people hold half the world wealth. But off course those 80 people are more bright, more hard working, more competent that half the world because capitalism is such a beautiful thing.

In the U.S., the average CEO earns more than 350 times what the average worker does.
    pretty sure they are 350 times more smart and competent and hardworking that those average workers, capitalim works.

Guess what, the banks and investment firms that cause the 2008 world financial crisis and spread misery throughout the world, because of malpractice, corruption and lack of regulation, 5 years ahead are now 5 times more rich.

That's why right wingers and the dumbest mutha****ers on the top of the planet, they basically vote to become poor and live in misery, because that's right idiots, they are coming for you too, sooner or later.

The worse is that most are already poor, they are just losers with a sense of superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    off course that is. Like it's even more ridiculous that 80 people hold half the world wealth. But off course those 80 people are more bright, more hard working, more competent that half the world because capitalism is such a beautiful thing.
    Wealth isn't like land. There is a fixed amount of land. For 1 piece of land to grow, another has to shrink. Wealth grows or shrinks independently. You creating wealth doesn't take mine away.

No, it's a fact, and you're an ignorant fool who doesn't know his history. The first national minimum wage law in the US was the Davis-Bacon Act, and it was overtly racist. If it was racist in the first place, then why exactly would it be less so now? Just because you and Americans have forgotten the reason behind something, doesn't mean the effects aren't still there (take a quick look and black youth unemployment figures why don't you - much worse than the 50s!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis%E...con_Act#Racism

I don't know why you so often run your mouth about America when you know literally nothing of its history - you just have the typical arrogant, ignorant and conceited view that stupid and insecure Europeans have about America and Americans (i.e. dat dey is stupid and backwards and have guns and stuff and we are so clever and sophisticated and European, etc.). Needless to say these people, in their interests and culture, are actually American to the bone - this is some unusual form of masochistic self-hatred.
    You know tons of self-hatred. A despicable scum that you are.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Wealth isn't like land. There is a fixed amount of land. For 1 piece of land to grow, another has to shrink. Wealth grows or shrinks independently. You creating wealth doesn't take mine away.
    Except it does. You're utterly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    explain how he didnt have math skills? the 5 dollar deals are a preset button, which was preset to 5.40, and there is a tax button, which would add tax. and like he said, he cant change the prices, because its preset in the computer. nor is he in authority to exclude charges on a meal. thats just failure of you actually thinking before judging, which is to no surprise.

Except it does. You're utterly stupid.
    I'll make this easier to understand.

Let's say both of us are farmers. We both have the same amount of land. We both grow corn.

Now, what is wealth? In simplest terms, it's what you posses that is of value, weather it's money, property, intellectual property, etc..

To us farmers, the wealth that we create is obvious. It's our corn crops. The amount of wealth we create is basically up to ourselves. Work hard, grow more corn. Work less hard, grow less corn.

If I work a lot harder than you and I grow 4 times as much corn as you do, I'm not taking anything away from you. I'm creating my own wealth. You can work just as hard and grow just as much if you choose. I'm not stopping you from growing your wealth, I'm not not taking corn away from you. But you would like to believe that because I have so much more corn than you do, that I must have taken corn that should have been yours.

I'll make this easier to understand.

Let's say both of us are farmers. We both have the same amount of land. We both grow corn.

Now, what is wealth? In simplest terms, it's what you posses that is of value, weather it's money, property, intellectual property, etc..

To us farmers, the wealth that we create is obvious. It's our corn crops. The amount of wealth we create is basically up to ourselves. Work hard, grow more corn. Work less hard, grow less corn.

If I work a lot harder than you and I grow 4 times as much corn as you do, I'm not taking anything away from you. I'm creating my own wealth. You can work just as hard and grow just as much if you choose. I'm not stopping you from growing your wealth, I'm not not taking corn away from you. But you would like to believe that because I have so much more corn than you do, that I must have taken corn that should have been yours.
    Your delusion was apparent before, you didn't really need to make a fool of yourself again.

Rich is getting richer, poor is getting poorer, yet one guy having wealth and lobbying for his interests, bribing the officials and buying out competing business does not take away from the wealth of others. Yup.

Your delusion was apparent before, you didn't really need to make a fool of yourself again.

Rich is getting richer, poor is getting poorer, yet one guy having wealth and lobbying for his interests, bribing the officials and buying out competing business does not take away from the wealth of others. Yup.
    You're not talking about wealth creation here, you're talking about market rigging. I don't think any sane person alive believes market rigging is ok. That is exactly why the government should not have to ability to interfere in the market.

When government has the ability to "regulate" the market, it will ALWAYS end up partnering up with big business and skewing the rules of the market to favor the interests of the big corporations, not the consumers or the competitors.

You're not talking about wealth creation here, you're talking about market rigging. I don't think any sane person alive believes market rigging is ok. That is exactly why the government should not have to ability to interfere in the market.

When government has the ability to "regulate" the market, it will ALWAYS end up partnering up with big business and skewing the rules of the market to favor the interests of the big corporations, not the consumers or the competitors.
    Wealth is created by manipulating numbers in virtual bank accounts, not by raising corns. You're terribly out of date.

What if government didn't have the ability to regulate the market? The big business would always outcompete the small business by dumping the prices, buying off their competitors or flat out gunning them down, like they do in Mexico.

National High School Star

Price floors and ceilings have been shown to be ineffective and even backfire from their intended purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    Price floors and ceilings have been shown to be ineffective and even backfire from their intended purpose.
    Elaborate on the purpose in mind and provide examples, please.