Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Off-season

and simple. It might not be so if top teams come calling, but as of right now, "Andre Miller told us plain and simple that he wants to come back and play here," Nuggets executive Masai Ujiri said today. Denver Post

"I had a great meeting with Andre Miller," Ujiri said. "With Andre's comments, he wants to be respected as a veteran, which we feel he has to be respected as a veteran. He even said to me that Ty (Lawson) helped him, because the minutes he played, he took care of his body, he didn't play as many minutes. I think Andre's looking forward to being on this team, I think he likes the role. I can't discuss contracts but it's stuff we're going to talk about and figure out." Denver Post

"Do we want Andre back? Yes," Ujiri said. "Collectively, the organization, ownerships, Coach Karl, teammates, we want Andre back, he was great for the team. Andre told me he wants to be in Denver. And all the contract stuff will take care of itself." Denver Post
    I'm guessing if he gets more money/years/better role/better shot at winning big he could still be had.

So where are you off to now? Brooklyn or Utah? Andrei Kirilenko: These two teams are my top priorities. In Utah is where I blossomed, the Nets are owned by a Russian Oligarch. But no one knows how life will unfold, so please let's wait a little until July 1st, the hot time of change in the NBA. But for now I want to enjoy this Championship of Russia. We earned it. Sovsport.ru

Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors will not participate on the Utah Jazz team in the Orlando Summer League, general manager Kevin O'Connor said Monday.

Hayward and Favors are members of the USA Men's Select Team, which will train July 5-11 in Las Vegas and practice against the London-bound United States' Olympic team. The Orlando Summer League is scheduled July 9-13.

"It's a great honor for our guys -- a privilege," O'Connor said. "They need to go do that. It will be great experience for them."

Thirteen players were picked for the U.S. Select Team. The Jazz and San Antonio Spurs were the only NBA teams to place more than one player on the 13-man roster.

Hayward played in all 66 games during the lockout-shortened season. He averaged 11.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists. He was the No. 9 pick in the 2010 NBA draft.

Favors played in 65 games last season. He averaged 8.8 points, 6.5 rebounds and one blocked shot in 21.2 minutes. He was the No. 3 pick in the 2010 draft before being traded by New Jersey to Utah midway through his rookie season.

"Being chosen for the Select Team is quite an honor," said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo. "It’s an important step in becoming involved in USA Basketball’s National Team program in the future."

Other Select Team members are Ryan Anderson (Orlando), DeJuan Blair (San Antonio), DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento), DeMar DeRozan (Toronto), Paul George (Indiana), Taj Gibson (Chicago), Kyrie Irving (Cleveland), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), Jeremy Lin (New York), Klay Thompson (Golden State) and John Wall (Washington).

Jay Triano and Mike Hopkins are the Select Team's co-head coaches. Triano was an assistant for the USA World Championship team in 2010. He is former head coach of the Toronto Raptors. Hopkins is a long-time assistant at Syracuse with an extensive background in USA Basketball coaching.

"The 2012 Select Team has an excellent collection of talents," Colangelo said. "The group has outstanding speed and versatility, some excellent shooters and some very good size."

-- Steve Luhm
    Sucks they will miss the summer league especially Favors. Don't think G needs it so much but playing with some of the better young American players and against some of our best should be good for them too.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 05-22-2012 at 04:38 AM.

[QUOTE]Over the weekend, Kirilenko told the Russian sports web site sovsports.ru that he is undecided about his future. His options include staying with CSKA Moscow or coming back to the NBA. If he returns to the United States, Kirilenko said his "priority" will be signing with the Brooklyn Nets, who are owned by Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, or rejoining Utah.

"I haven

Kyrie Irving, Ricky Rubio, Kenneth Faried, Klay Thompson, Iman Shumpert, Kawhi Leonard and Brandon Knight have been voted to the 2011-12 NBA All-Rookie First Team.

On the All-Rookie Second Team is Chandler Parsons, Isaiah Thomas, MarShon Brooks, Derrick Williams and Tristan Thompson.

The following players also received votes:

Markieff Morris, Phoenix, 7 (1); Kemba Walker, Charlotte 7; Alec Burks, Utah 2; Norris Cole, Miami 2; Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte 2; Enes Kanter, Utah 1; Greg Stiemsma, Boston 1; Gustavo Ayon, New Orleans 1; Nikola Vucevic, Philadelphia 1.
    Boone and Harpring voted for Burks? Boone for Kanter? Can't see Burks getting any votes. Kanter maybe.

ESPN's Marc Stein reported Saturday the Jazz are talking to Golden State about a trade that would make sure the Warriors keep their pick in the upcoming NBA draft.

Jazz fans know this story.

As part of last year's Deron Williams trade with New Jersey, the Jazz received a pick originally owned by the Nets but sent to Golden State. The pick was top-seven protected and the Warriors finished with the seventh-worst record in the league after a late-season slump.

As things stand now, Golden State retains ownership of the pick. But because of lottery's random nature, there's a 28-percent chance Golden State could slide backward in the first round. If that happened, Utah would own the pick.

To made sure they keep the pick -- regardless of what happens in the lottery -- the Warriors are apparently talking to the Jazz about a trade that would eliminate the protection.

According to Stein, a source with knowledge of the trade talks called a deal "likely."

To get the Jazz to agree, Golden State could offer a combination of future draft considerations, cash or less protection on the pick the Warriors will still owe Utah. Currently, Golden State's pick in 2013 is top-seven protected. The 2014 pick is top-six protected.

Golden State owner Joe Lacob first spoke of a deal with Utah during a radio interview two months ago. The public discussion of the talks infuriated Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor, who said at the time the Warrior owner could say anything he wanted but there would be no comment from the Jazz.

-- Steve Luhm

[quote]Kyle Lowry believes he and Kevin McHale can no longer coexist.

Lowry underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia and torn abductor muscles three weeks ago and briefly returned to the Toyota Center on Friday.

Chad Ford: Next stop in the draft workout tour: Oakland to see Damian Lillard this morning along with a couple of NBA teams Twitter
    Wonder if the Jazz will be there? I guess they've had plenty of opportunities to see him in Ogden already.

[quote]The Raptors are extremely high on Lowry, so there is little doubt

The Idaho Stampede have entered an exclusive partnership with Portland after teaming with the Jazz, Blazers and Nuggets last season.

The Jazz were previously affiliated with the Utah Flash before the franchise folded prior to the 2011-12 season.

Neither the Jazz nor Denver have announced their new affiliates.

In a press release, Portland president Larry Miller said the "hybrid partnership" will allow the Blazers and Stampede to operate in a Major League Baseball type of relationship.

Four NBA teams (the Blazers, Nets, Rockets and Knicks) have hybrid partnerships with D-League teams, allowing them to control basketball operations with the developmental squads.

The Cavaliers, Lakers, Mavericks, Spurs, Thunder and Warriors each own D-League teams.
    Not that the Jazz use the D-league anyway. Evans probably should have spent most of the year in Idaho.

I think they should still look hard at getting into the draft to get Marshall if at all possible.

Banned

So, is the GS pick top 7 protected next year?

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    So, is the GS pick top 7 protected next year?
    Top 6 I believe for '13 and '14, then if not received by 2014 Jazz get 2nd rounders in '14 and '16.

Will GS ever win though? They're counting on a couple injury prone guys to lead them. Jazz need to start developing a pg now not next year. I'd try to get their guy this year if there's someone they like. Marshall sounds like their type of player.