Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?

are you guys serious?

YES you do are you joking? it's TIM DUNCAN. you trade anything for Tim Duncan. you trade your franchise player, your car, your soul, and your favorite pair of kicks for Tim Duncan. in an instant, no thought required, you win.

that said I wouldn't trade Bron for Duncan. Bron's too young and too good. but what the fu.ck has Greg Oden done to warrant this proposal?

Who would you trade for Oden? There are a lot of top 10 or fringe top 10 players under 25. And you don't really know if Oden will be any better than Okafor right now, if even that (just saying, he's unproven in the league).

If I'm them, I'd think hard about the possibility of Wade/Bron/Melo for him. Not saying any of those teams would offer that, but hypothetically speaking. Melo and Bron atleast are only 23 years old (Bron will be soon after the season) and top 10 talents and made terrible franchises winning teams.

None of those trades would get done, but seriously I don't think about trading an unproven pick for great players that young. And really think about the Duncan move, but I'd have to make sure I have the right players around him.

NBA sixth man of the year

If I'm them, I'd think hard about the possibility of Wade/Bron/Melo for him. Not saying any of those teams would offer that, but hypothetically speaking. Melo and Bron atleast are only 23 years old (Bron will be soon after the season) and top 10 talents and made terrible franchises winning teams.
    Best you can hope for is Melo because Wade and LeBron won't be offered. No way in hell.

I don't know if I would trade Oden for Melo, but a frontline of Randolph/Melo/Aldridge would score some points.

Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

Tim duncan is someone that will retire in the next 3 -4 years Oden is someone who will retire in 10 - 15 years

3 - 4 < 10 - 15 its about how long you want spurs to be a competitor in the NBA with a dominant big man.

Few GM's would risk #1 picks, especially ones who have Oden potential. Just like Cleveland would not have traded LBJ for Jobe in '03 or Duncan for Hakeem in '97... they would like to take the risk IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Best you can hope for is Melo because Wade and LeBron won't be offered. No way in hell.

I don't know if I would trade Oden for Melo, but a frontline of Randolph/Melo/Aldridge would score some points.

Trust me. None of them would be offered.

It was a hypothetical question for if you're on the Portland side.

Oden had better numbers than Shaq and Hakeem in college. That was with one hand.

Yao Ming plays better defense around the basket than Duncan. Ben Wallace is a better shot blocker than Duncan. Duncan is probably the best on offense for a center, but not defense.

Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

did you see Lebron try to dunk on duncan. he not only got denied he also got a change of heart =)

Quote Originally Posted by eeeeeebro
    did you see Lebron try to dunk on duncan. he not only got denied he also got a change of heart =)
    1. Lebron already has dunked on Duncan.

2. I saw Kobe dunk on Duncan the last time the Lakers player the Spurs, he did it twice.

3. Dwight Howard dunked on Tim Duncan for a game winner. Duncan got owned.

Duncan has weak D.

I rule the local playground Rojogaqu11's Avatar

Yes I would trade for Duncan, because the Spurs get the pick and probably fillers, so u have a lot of players to trade and make offers to other teams. With the amount of talent the Spurs have, they can get good players to complement Oden in Pop's system. The Spurs get young, they could trade Ginobili and Elson when their value is high, for some up and coming swings and bigs, keep Parker and in 2-3 years the Spurs are contenders again. The other good teams like Dallas, Phoenix, Rockets slow down. Teams like Jazz, Sonics, Golden State, Denver become contenders but the Spurs also continue their winning ways and don't fall like the other contenders of the past.

Blazers also get to have some players that can make an impact now, possibly win a championship in the next 2-3 years. They could draw free agents to play alongside Tim Duncan, and if the Blazers have a line up of Jack, Roy, Aldridge, Randolph and Duncan, they become instant contenders, and the young guys get the playoff experience that will make them strong for the future, with Duncan taking Aldridge under his wing.
    There's many possibilities.

Decent playground baller jerky10's Avatar

This is insane. TD for Oden? Tim is in the top 3 players in the NBA. Why would you trade TD for an unproven prospect? I even have a feeling that Oden will be just another Andrew Bynum.

Not airballing my layups anymore J-Roc's Avatar

Oden is the future...
    Right now Duncan is better but he will retire in a couple of years...

Decent playground baller jerky10's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J-Roc
    Oden is the future...
    Right now Duncan is better but he will retire in a couple of years...
    TD will have 5 more solid season.

Quote Originally Posted by jerky10
    TD will have 5 more solid season.

And maybe 2-3 more after that where he can be a great 3rd option for a title team, still rebound well, and patrol the paint.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Imo an argument can be made for not trading someone for Greg Oden, but not because Oden is unproven. I mean of course we don't know how good he really is as a nba player cause he hasn't played a game yet, but can't you see what he is going to be (not potentially, but what he is destined to be)? Using this unproven argument is like saying "it's not sensible to trade Clyde Drexler for a rookie Shaq because he hasn't played a game yet whereas Clyde is on top of his game" the year Shaq was drafted. Yes, he hasn't played a game but everyone with a brain could see what impact he could bring to the game the second he was put on the court; what he could become and what he already was, same cases could be made for Duncan, Lebron and Greg Oden.

One might have a case for not trading someone for Oden, but this "unproven" theory only refects their inability to see great talents, even when the whole basketball world knows it is someone you only get once in 15 years.