Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default The Bagelred NBA Summer of 2012 Salary Cap Analysis

This took me 723 hours of hard work and dedication to put together, but it was worth it (Or maybe 45 minutes).

Version 2.0

This should set the stage for 2012 and who has cap space to work with.

Just some notes:
    -The total column is the sum of all the other columns and is the total payroll number.
    - Second round picks are not included because you can sign them after signing free agents
    - I just used best guesses on options and likely signings.
    - Not all amounts in red are teams over the cap. It's both over the cap teams and teams with "insignificant" cap space or teams likely to resign own free agents
    -The Likely Resigning figures are just MY guesses, not any sources. I can change those if think they are way off. Mostly these are Restricted Free Agents that we know teams will keep.
    - Some teams cap space situations are really "up in the air", such as Nets, Suns, and Celtics. It all depends what happens with franchise players.

So look at the schedule, specifically your favorite team, and let me know if you think I should make changes, if options are wrong, if someone should be added to likely signings, etc. This will be updated as we go along and I'll put the updated spreadsheet in its place.
    Last edited by bagelred; 06-30-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Default Re: The Bagelred NBA Summer of 2012 Salary Cap Analysis

I'm wondering if i commit to season tickets if the Nets will give me a roster spot.

The Hawks can amnesty Marvin, let Hinrich expire, and then we should get the full MLE to spend on another player and still be far away from the luxury tax.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I'm wondering if i commit to season tickets if the Nets will give me a roster spot.
    I'll give Jay-Z a call for you.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Knicks aren't giving Landry Fields $5 million. They most likely will let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    I'll give Jay-Z a call for you.
    Jay Z was asked if he was dissapointed the Nets did not get Howard. He said "My life is great, i don't worry about the team, if they are good that's just gravy".

Brooklyn Nets - Where being good is gravy....

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Knicks aren't giving Landry Fields $5 million. They most likely will let him walk.
    I would give him a minimum and that's it.
    J.R. will probably walk away,Lin will stay for sure.
    My goal is to re-sign Novak. Jeffries too but I think he'll accept the minimum.

You are wrong. $5 million is not alot for a starting shooting guard and the Knicks have no way to get anyone else, even if they wanted to. They have no cap space. So they are definitely resigning Fields....at the very least, as a trade asset. But for this analysis, makes no difference anyway. Knicks have no cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    I would give him a minimum and that's it.
    J.R. will probably walk away,Lin will stay for sure.
    My goal is to re-sign Novak. Jeffries too but I think he'll accept the minimum.
    Who is going to give JR Smith a big contract? Everyone knows he's a head case. I honestly think he will pick up the option.

You are wrong. $5 million is not alot for a starting shooting guard and the Knicks have no way to get anyone else, even if they wanted to. They have no cap space. So they are definitely resigning Fields....at the very least, as a trade asset. But for this analysis, makes no difference anyway. Knicks have no cap space.
    He's not a starting shooting guard anymore. Or at least next year he won't be. He doesn't have MDA backing him now. Shumpert will start by next year, the latest. They are not paying him $5 million to play 15 minutes per game.

He's not a starting shooting guard anymore. Or at least next year he won't be. He doesn't have MDA backing him now. Shumpert will start by next year, the latest. They are not paying him $5 million to play 15 minutes per game.
    When they resign him, we'll come back to this post.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Suns should definitely amnesty Childress

When they resign him, we'll come back to this post.
    They may. But it won't be for $5 million. If he gets $1.5 from the Knicks, he'll be lucky. The new tax is much harsher with the 2:1 ratio. Paying Landry $5 million with a $10 million tax is not worth it.

Saying he will get $5M is not true because the Knicks won't offer and the fact they can match will scare off offers. But they are not giving him the vet minimum either. Be real. Two years, $6M-$7M seems likely to me.

It's better to resign him, you can trade him if nothing else. Just letting him walk isn't helpful. Or at least S&T him for an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Saying he will get $5M is not true because the Knicks won't offer and the fact they can match will scare off offers. But they are not giving him the vet minimum either. Be real. Two years, $6M-$7M seems likely to me.

It's better to resign him, you can trade him if nothing else. Just letting him walk isn't helpful. Or at least S&T him for an exception.
    If we offer 2/$6 million, he should thank his lucky stars.