Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default Scottie Pippen appreciation thread.

Maybe time has erased a little of my memory of Pippen, but correct me if I'm wrong, I could not recall a single flaw in his game. Many, many times I'd watch a Bulls game and leave thinking Pippen was a more complete player than Michael Jordan. Not a better player, mind you.

Pippen could have been an All Star at PG, SG, SF, or PF. He would have excelled in any game plan or under any coach. His instincts, athleticism and size was an unstoppable combination. He was going to have an impact on the game, you just never knew how. Whether it was shutting down Mark Jackson at PG or giving Barkley fits at PF .... it didn't seem to matter. If that failed, he could easily hand out 10 assists, control the boards, or score 30 points on you. He also had a killer instinct.

I think he's probably the best defender I've ever seen play. He was great on the ball, but probably the best double teamer ever. he was also extremely smart defensively

This is my favorite highlight videos of him, must watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9vFH...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Ych...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObgS...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyzx6...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mL1...layer_embedded

Banned

Default Re: Scottie Pippen appreciation thread.

Batum is better.

Banned

Yes.

About time.

He was the most versatile on the team. He never had no flaws. He was the best defender and the best rebounding perimeter player in that whole era. He surely made life easier for his teammates. He took over when needed to.

The only thing he couldn't do was take over a game wit his scoring. He really didn't have many moves to create his own shot and was a great shooter off the dribble.

That's not much of a weakness considering he was still a 20 point scorer, but it was very rare that Pippen went for 30.

I always liked his demeanor on the court, so calm and consistent he never seemed to get rattled. And very few players were as smooth.

Defensively I think he gets a little overrated now (only by people who say he is one of the best few defensive players ever), but that's not to say he wasn't one of the best perimeter defenders of his era, because he was. The best part about his defense is that he accepted that role, as the #1 defensive option. He guarded everyone from Isiah Thomas to Chris Webber to Larry Johnson and everyone in between.

College superstar

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    The only thing he couldn't do was take over a game wit his scoring. He really didn't have many moves to create his own shot and was a great shooter off the dribble.

That's not much of a weakness considering he was still a 20 point scorer, but it was very rare that Pippen went for 30.
    I don't think that's true at all. It's not that Pippen couldn't take over a game with his offense. It was more like he wouldn't. I saw plenty of games where Pippen could have easily gone for big scoring numbers if he applied himself but he would pull back and not interrupt the flow of the team...and that's to his detriment because most idiot NBA fans think pretty scoring numbers are more important than everything else. Pippen was never some gloryhound shotjacker that seemed to be worried about how many points he was putting up. It was all about getting the win. I like to call him the Tim Duncan of small forwards because Tim Duncan has played with that same "team" demeanor his entire career.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Artest
    Batum is better.
    I hope your joking

Banned

He is just not clutch. He's like KG, only less insane and not as rich.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    I don't think that's true at all. It's not that Pippen couldn't take over a game with his offense. It was more like he wouldn't. I saw plenty of games where Pippen could have easily gone for big scoring numbers if he applied himself but he would pull back and not interrupt the flow of the team...and that's to his detriment because most idiot NBA fans think pretty scoring numbers are more important than everything else. Pippen was never some gloryhound shotjacker that seemed to be worried about how many points he was putting up. It was all about getting the win. I like to call him the Tim Duncan of small forwards because Tim Duncan has played with that same "team" demeanor his entire career.
    Well, I am really at my wits end with "could have" arguments. If you believe that, that's fine, I don't think it's crazy, but the facts are he never really took over a playoff game with his scoring, not even once. I think in his Bulls career his playoff high was like 34 and he only had five 30+ games. That includes the year without Michale where he scored a playoff high of 29 I believe.

That's what I base my opinion on.

I also don't think he would have been a good leader, but he never really had to be so i don't hold that against him. As it is I believe it's between him and John Havilcek and Kevin McHale as the best complimentary star players of all-time. All guys who could play and guard multiple positions as well as score, rebound and pass.

Banned

My favorite dunk ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNw5WNX5-Is
    I assume many share the same opinion.

LAL|LAC

Quote Originally Posted by DeronMillsap

Quote Originally Posted by DeronMillsap

Yes, and please stop calling him "sidekick" or Robin. He's too good for that.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Yes, and please stop calling him "sidekick" or Robin. He's too good for that.
    Scottie was great, but he was also a sidekick.

Won Avy Bet

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    Scottie was great, but he was also a sidekick.

This is such a retarded thing to say.

A team does not win 6 championships and set a record for wins in a season with just one "superstar." The year after Michael retired the first time, The Bulls went 55-27 and lost in 7 games to the Knicks in the 2nd round.

I didn't see Kobe doing that when Shaq or Pau weren't there, or Wade doing it without Shaq. I didn't see Pierce doing it before KG and Ray Allen were there.

Sometimes - I know this is hard to believe for people who believe everything Nike and Gatorade and ESPN tell them - there can be two or more players of equal importance to a championship team.

The Bulls are arguably the GREATEST DYNASTY in sports history. WTF does sidekick even mean??? Its just a dumb term that you've heard so you repeat it. Try actually thinking some time.
    Last edited by the GIBBET; 11-10-2010 at 09:13 PM.