Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Blake Griffin starts season strong. Then disappears. Each year. Why?

Why is this happening every year? Any other players like him in this regard?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Blake Griffin starts season strong. Then disappears. Each year. Why?

I've always thought he was overrated, but I don't really get the timing of this thread. He's averaging a career 25.6ppg and is currently averaging 30ppg in January.

Default Re: Blake Griffin starts season strong. Then disappears. Each year. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I've always thought he was overrated, but I don't really get the timing of this thread. He's averaging a career 25.6ppg and is currently averaging 30ppg in January.

He has started the last 3-4 years as a top 5 performer. Several huge games early each season. And then... slow down. Sure, a few better stretches... but basically he starts as a top 5 player and finishes the season not top 20-25.

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale[B
    ]He has started the last 3-4 years as a top 5 performer.[/B] Several huge games early each season. And then... slow down. Sure, a few better stretches... but basically he starts as a top 5 player and finishes the season not top 20-25.

I don't get it.
    No, he hasn't. lol Unless by started you mean about 5 games.

No, he hasn't. lol Unless by started you mean about 5 games.
    5 games, 10 games... whatever. A short period of time. At the beginning of each season. So... he can do it. And then he can't. Which part can he not keep up? Or is it everyone else starting slowly?

The pistons are so bad

Ish smith is turrible. Flake has always sucked. It's just a bunch of hogs going ISO all game

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    The pistons are so bad

Ish smith is turrible. Flake has always sucked. It's just a bunch of hogs going ISO all game

Griffin did the same thing on the Clippers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    5 games, 10 games... whatever. A short period of time. At the beginning of each season. So... he can do it. And then he can't. Which part can he not keep up? Or is it everyone else starting slowly?
    Pretty much any all star in the league can look top 5 for 5-10 games. Everyone has their stretches.

Pretty much any all star in the league can look top 5 for 5-10 games. Everyone has their stretches.

Fine. Griffin usually goes off to begin each season. Then comes the talk how much his game has improved. Then... not much to write home about.

National High School Star tanibanana's Avatar

In fairness to Griffin, he is playing well this season. Not a MVP level, but All-Star level.

Lets see if he ends up below top-20 comes end of the season.

I think it's natural. At the start of the season, one has more energy. As the seasons go on, little injuries accumulate and fatigue sets in.

I wouldn't say he disappear though. He still performs very well.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    I think it's natural. At the start of the season, one has more energy. As the seasons go on, little injuries accumulate and fatigue sets in.

I wouldn't say he disappear though. He still performs very well.

There are some players who start to really play better after the ASG. What do you think is the difference? Response to fatigue? All mental?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    There are some players who start to really play better after the ASG. What do you think is the difference? Response to fatigue? All mental?
    Different people, different combination of reasons. We see this in every sport. Some boxer is a slow starter, some are strong starter.

His body can't handle it. He seemingly broke down every Playoffs as a Clipper.

Cali Love

44 points against the clips the other day how is that disappearing. He's still good.