Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Mock draft time is coming

Nope nothing really makes me change my mind yet. Unless I see a rap sheet or something.

Looking down the list I still have that belief that Trey Lyles and other big men will climb the lists.

My usual experience is many experts put a lot of analysis into stats, talent, upside... and even though the "game has supposedly changed" - in general terms:

1) Big men always seem to climb up the rankings on draft day
    2) SG SF tend to fall back some

There are unique talent exceptions (Wiggens) and weak drafts. But the only team that seemed to break this mold was the Cavaliers of the past few years. The Suns also went shooter heavy but generally through trade (though they did get a certain Canadian talent and latter traded him).

This is what made Colangelo's stretch pick TRoss a head scratcher... in all likelihood he could have traded down and got TRoss.

So this or my final mock will be biased by the likelihood of big men front heavy in the selections.
    Last edited by Jballer; 06-16-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Local High School Star

Re: Knicks at 4 ~ SI.com have Knicks moving for Portzingis to get that "4" man for the Triangle or move down.

I never considered the Knicks grabbing a Euro player and perhaps project but was confident they would take the best big having Melo.

Local High School Star

New Mock Draft by Mannix at Si.com

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/10/nba...-jahlil-okafor

Some names batted around here like Montrezl and J Grant are gone now from the Raps pick as they climb the rankings.

Mannix says:

TORONTO RAPTORS
    KELLY OUBRE, G/F
    KANSAS, FRESHMAN| 6-7, 200
    Oubre is another player whose stock is all over the place. He could go as high as the late teens or as low as the end of the first round. Oubre

Draft workout today for the Raptors.

Players that stand out for me:

RJ Hunter
    He's an older player, but he can shoot the ball. However, he shot a low shooting percentage in a relatively easy division, some atrribute this to him being the main shot creator on his team. He's got excellent length for his position for a potential 3 and D type of player.

J.P Tokoto
    Player that does a little bit of everything, problem is he can't shoot. If the Raptors pick him they'll be looking to develop his shot. He's got potential to be a second round pick for the Raptors.

[QUOTE=Jballer]New Mock Draft by Mannix at Si.com

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/10/nba...-jahlil-okafor

Some names batted around here like Montrezl and J Grant are gone now from the Raps pick as they climb the rankings.

Mannix says:

TORONTO RAPTORS
    KELLY OUBRE, G/F
    KANSAS, FRESHMAN| 6-7, 200
    Oubre is another player whose stock is all over the place. He could go as high as the late teens or as low as the end of the first round. Oubre

Local High School Star

Great post on workouts.

RJ Hunter.

Looks like an intriguing pick but "I think" he projects at the very bottom of the draft. Draft.net has him at 22 or lower.The fact the Raps scheduled a work out and he is here speaks volumes. Maybe he is a 20 range guy but internet sports experts all proclaim him lower.

That may infer Masai and Management are looking to move down.

--

If Kelly O / Jerian Grant / Montrezl are not available ~ I fully support - hope the Raps moving down the draft order especially if they could parley another 2nd rounder out of it next year

The team has a decent core and should be able to attract help on the FA - RFA market. We have already mentioned tons of names (Tristan T, Monroe at a price, Mislap etc) at the 4 position.

There are also talented guys the Raps could potentially bring back from Euroball they had that were credible at the PG. Ben U and the kid we had some San Antonio for a year. Forget the exact spelling of names but to essential "back up Klow" with more consistency should be available.

Would it be fantastic if the Raps went into "All Star year" 2016-7 :

1) Core signed for a couple more years (Klow, Derozan, Val, +)
    2) Cap space
    3) 2 first round picks
    4) 2 second round picks

That would be a team ready to challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    Great post on workouts.

RJ Hunter.

Looks like an intriguing pick but "I think" he projects at the very bottom of the draft. Draft.net has him at 22 or lower.The fact the Raps scheduled a work out and he is here speaks volumes. Maybe he is a 20 range guy but internet sports experts all proclaim him lower.

That may infer Masai and Management are looking to move down.

--

If Kelly O / Jerian Grant / Montrezl are not available ~ I fully support - hope the Raps moving down the draft order especially if they could parley another 2nd rounder out of it next year

The team has a decent core and should be able to attract help on the FA - RFA market. We have already mentioned tons of names (Tristan T, Monroe at a price, Mislap etc) at the 4 position.

There are also talented guys the Raps could potentially bring back from Euroball they had that were credible at the PG. Ben U and the kid we had some San Antonio for a year. Forget the exact spelling of names but to essential "back up Klow" with more consistency should be available.

Would it be fantastic if the Raps went into "All Star year" 2016-7 :

1) Core signed for a couple more years (Klow, Derozan, Val, +)
    2) Cap space
    3) 2 first round picks
    4) 2 second round picks

That would be a team ready to challenge!
    I'm not a fan of moving down to grab a couple more second round picks. Personally, I think second round picks hardly every turn out to be excellent players. Also, the Raptors have Bruno, Bebe, and DeAndre Daniels (potentially) taking up roster space on this team, having two more picks will make 5 projects on the roster limit of 15. While, I like the concept of having young players on the end of the bench I don't think having 5 projects wouldn't do well for the depth of this team. If injuries ever happened we would be trouble.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    I'm not a fan of moving down to grab a couple more second round picks. Personally, I think second round picks hardly every turn out to be excellent players. Also, the Raptors have Bruno, Bebe, and DeAndre Daniels (potentially) taking up roster space on this team, having two more picks will make 5 projects on the roster limit of 15. While, I like the concept of having young players on the end of the bench I don't think having 5 projects wouldn't do well for the depth of this team. If injuries ever happened we would be trouble.
    I hear you on the second rounders... I here ya mate.

Especially projects.

True most teams rarely get a Ginobli - Alex English - Gilbert Arenas - Dany Ainge out of #2.

There is a lot of PJBrowns from the 2nd round.

I guess implicit in my point was move down to a lower 1st round this year and get a very high 2nd rounder. High level 2nd rounders tend to stick and have careers off the bench.

But also I am thinking of stock piling multiple draft picks in a given year or short period. 4 draft picks in 2 rounds next year would most certainly potentially a "big draw card" for a team that decided to "blow it all up" vis a vis 76ers / Celtics but also want a jump start on the rebuilding. High and low first rounders with 2 high 2nd rounders have to be attractive to such a team.

I am not predicting that Oklahoma will do a sign and trade for Durant "4 example" but it puts Toronto squarely into every conversation if even a 3 team deal gets entertained. Its one way of getting a "perennial all star added to this roster".

As you say we already seem to have some depth. Add in a Development League team solely owned by Toronto and you could bring back " BenU < guys like him> and a few of those coveted bubble guys playing Euro or Chinese off shore ball.

That gets me very excited because your projects play with talent !

Masai seemed to work this way in Denver ala the original Melo - Ike - Bynum deal.
    Last edited by Jballer; 06-22-2015 at 09:27 AM.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/press-rel...workout-061915

Probably the last pre-draft workout for the Raptors today.

- Richaun Holmes, very interesting type of player that has the quickness to stay infront of 3's and the size to play with 4's. Offensively he has a decent 3pt shot. He is a Draymond Green type of player and the importance of that kind of player is really emphasized in today's NBA. He projects to be in the late first round of the draft, but with Masai we know we can expect a shocker at 20.

- Stefan Nastic, Canadian playing at Stanford. Really raises the question of how much Masai wants a Canadian on the Raptors.

Local High School Star

Jballer Final:

1) T-Wolves K-A Towns

2) Lakers Jahil Okafor

3) 76ers D

Draft is one day away!

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Nice mock, J. I've been travelling the past 16 days, but I've done my best to keep up with everything. I'll post my final mock soon.

Players I see the Raptors drafting today are Hollis-Jefferson, RJ Hunter, Kevon Looney, Tyus Jones, and Sam Dekker (if he falls).

I could see Masai pick up a second rounder for Dakari Johnson or Johnathon Holmes.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

1. Minnesota - Karl Anthony Towns

2. LA Lakers - Jhalil Okafor (I think this gets traded)

3. Philadelphia - D'Angelo Russell

4. New York - Emmanuel Mudiay

5. Orlando - Justise Winslow

6. Sacramento - Kristaps Porzingis (I think this gets traded)

7. Denver - Mario Hezonja

8. Detroit - Stanley Johnson

9. Charlotte - Frank Kaminsky

10. Miami - Devin Booker

11. Indiana - Cameron Payne

12. Utah - Myles Turner

13. Phoenix - Trey Lyles

14. Oklahoma - Bobby Portis (I think this gets traded)

15. Atlanta - Sam Dekker

16. Boston - Willie Cauley-Stein

17. Milwaukee - Rashad Vaughn

18. Houston - Tyus Jones

19. Washington - Montrezl Harrell

20. Toronto - Kelly Oubre

21. Dallas - Jerian Grant

22. Chicago - Kevon Looney

23. Portland - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

24. Cleveland - Terry Rozier

25. Memphis - Jarell Martin

26. San Antonio - Guillermo Hernandez

27. LA Lakers - Justin Anderson (I think this gets traded)

28. Boston - Jordan Mickey

29. Brooklyn - Delon Wright

30. Golden St. - RJ Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain

19. Washington - Montrezl Harrell

20. Toronto - Kelly Oubre

21. Dallas - Jerian Grant

Oubre's ok. But if Grant's available at #20, he's the better pick, imo