Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taking charges in pick up

Yay or nay ?

Default Re: Taking charges in pick up

definitely NAY!

you want everyone laughing at you? i remember i called a moving screen on someone, and dudes took it so salty and got so heated they wanted to fight me throughout the rest of the game. got over physical and started hacking me on defense. im friends with them now though

say no to charges. in other words, get yo weight up son

NBA Superstar

I would never attempt to take a charge in a pick-up game. 99% of my pick-up opponents would also never attempt to take a charge in that setting. For whatever reason, the idea of drawing a charge in a pick-up game is most often treated similarly to someone attempting to call 3-seconds or illegal defense. The charge just never carried over to the street game.

There's usually a few people every year who try to call them though. In most cases, there's a collective "C'mon dude, seriously? You're trying to take a charge?" feeling. Though, in one instance, I do recall playing in a relatively unfamiliar gym when a small guard stepped in and took a charge on a fast break during pick-up. I initially laughed in disbelief and protested, asking, "You're taking a charge during a pickup game?" to which one of my own teammates stepped up to me and reasoned, "Well, I mean, you do drive to the basket kind of hard." At that point, my brain just about exploded.

So, if someone feels strongly about getting the charge call, I'll give it to them, but it's typically not something I'd like to have a part of pick-up games. I feel like it kind of throws off a pick-up game's equilibrium. Like, if charges come into play, thus minimizing one's ability to go hard in the paint, then I feel like people would have to start calling more reaching fouls and shooting fouls to compensate. And no one wants that.

Further, I think charges in pick-up games can be very dangerous, particularly on concrete. I last thing I want to deal with as I'm becoming airborne down at the park is a guy trying to slide in to take a charge too late and accidentally undercutting me in the process. And to be truthful, considering real deal ball players have a hard enough time putting themselves in position to take a charge, chances are pick-up amateurs are going to be accidentally undercutting folks left and right.

It just seems like pick-up games have certain unwritten rules - play through ticky tack calls that might have been whistled during real games, play hard, go strong, don't take charges.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-21-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Ive never ever seen it happen once. Its kinda common sense on the court. You would get laughed at if you did that

Taking a charge is cool, it just wont get called. So really, it's no reason to take one.

A big HELL no

if you take a charge on me and call it, by everything that is sacred, I will foul the living s*** out of you the next play. B****es get stitches

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

I got a question regarding this. I was playing 5 on 5 yesterday and i was guarding this guy and denied the ball the whole time. and one possession, he had the ball and drove in picked the ball up pushed me off with a clear fore-arm and some of my teammates were trying to call it an offensive foul, but they said no it wasnt. so i decided to just keep fouling him and defense, annoy him reach in everything. so what should i have done, get my way and call it an offensive foul or just hack him the whole time on defense?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    I got a question regarding this. I was playing 5 on 5 yesterday and i was guarding this guy and denied the ball the whole time. and one possession, he had the ball and drove in picked the ball up pushed me off with a clear fore-arm and some of my teammates were trying to call it an offensive foul, but they said no it wasnt. so i decided to just keep fouling him and defense, annoy him reach in everything. so what should i have done, get my way and call it an offensive foul or just hack him the whole time on defense?
    Usually, when that happens, it just gives me the green light to play overly physical right back. It usually just gets me more pumped up and motivated during the game.

It's just pickup ball, so there's not much you can do but play hard right back at them.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    I think situations like that will always arise somewhere. There's certain unwritten rules of streetball and when a clear one is broken, the entire system can sometimes malfunction. I think your situation is an example of that.

For the most part, if an offensive player does something ridiculous like that wild, obnoxious forearm you mentioned, it'll often be so obvious that the offensive player will openly acknowledge his wrongdoing. That said, there's sometimes those who will argue their own dirty play like that, which then leads to an escalation in contact (like you mentioned) which usually tends to come to a head where play then has to stop and players have to be separated.

We have situations like that pop up with one of the kids I used to coach. He's 20 years old and now goes 6'6'' 230, but his offensive moves tend to lack lateral motion from the perimeter. As such, I regularly anticipate his slow moves beat him to a spot 19 feet away from the hoop, but he just tries to bull through any one standing directly in front of him. Inevitably, if he overpowers me through illegal means (the head down bull rush through my body from the three point line down to the bucket), it'll probably lead to illegal defensive means as a counter. Then we both get pissed. He tells me to stop fouling. I tell him to actually attempt to make a move around a defender on the perimeter. Then we both acknowledge our faults and move forward.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-25-2013 at 08:30 PM.

I played with some older guys the other day and they called 3 seconds in the paint, and a foul on basically any form of contact when I'm defending. I'm like...wow ok. So I'm playing anyway though. I get the ball on offense. I blow by one of them, received a blow to the stomach, post up, where i'm then shouldered off like a running back so I shoot it, miss, grab the offensive board, and receive an elbow to the back of the head when going up. I hate it when people cry for foul but then play physical as shit on the other end of the court, I smell pu$$y

Even aside from the lameness factor, it's just too much of an injury risk for both people in a game that won't matter 10 minutes from now. The guy in the air and the guy getting hit can both get hurt bad from that

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Even aside from the lameness factor, it's just too much of an injury risk for both people in a game that won't matter 10 minutes from now. The guy in the air and the guy getting hit can both get hurt bad from that
    Yeah, stuff like charges are just a little too intense for some regular dudes playing a pick-up game. Pick-up is to have fun and compete, not to take charges and slap the floor like some schmuck from Duke.

Some people just get weirdly intense with stuff like that tho. I've had dudes pick me up full court an entire game when I'm playing point lol.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Yeah, stuff like charges are just a little too intense for some regular dudes playing a pick-up game. Pick-up is to have fun and compete, not to take charges and slap the floor like some schmuck from Duke.

Some people just get weirdly intense with stuff like that tho. I've had dudes pick me up full court an entire game when I'm playing point lol.
    I'm A-OK with people playing as hard as they can. I've guarded people full court in pickup games before, usually when I sense they're not someone who's going to like dealing with that pressure, leading them to give up the ball early. Sometimes it's easier to pick up full and force an early pass than allowing a player to saunter downcourt and have an open opportunity to make something happen in the half court. Sometimes dangerous half court ball players still don't like having to work their way out of the backcourt.

Back to the point though, I just think there's a difference between playing hard and playing dangerous and oftentimes, attempting to take charges (especially outdoors) can be very dangerous for the offensive and defensive player.