Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Banned

Default Re: Who is dumb enough to give Dwight max?

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Sounds like Dirk pre-2011
    Not really Dirk was always a clutch beast who carried the offense on his shoulders, Dwight was never a clutch beast.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    What? So Howard would come to Dallas and take 5 shots per game? Don't think so buddy.

Dirk would be a great pair because of his ability to shoot 3's...and because he doesn't dominate the ball.

You'd want to then surround them with shooters / defenders. We already have Marion and Carter...who I like a lot next to a Howard/Dirk pairing. The important thing would be to get a quality pg.

But no, he'd be far more featured than Chandler...don't know what the **** you are on. He'd get something around 12 to 13 shots a game...and put up 20/14/2. Which is what he'd be doing right now on a team that featured him and played to his strengths.
    Not 5 shots, i guess i didn't get my message across clearly.

I think on a system featuring Dirk, I'd still have Nowitzki as a clear cut #1 option. And I'd like Dirk to be doing his damage in the post. This puts dwight on the odd position of only getting exclusive post up touches when Dirk isn't on the floor. Meaning he'll get his points off lobs and cuts to the basket (therefore my Tyson Chandler comparison). Of course, Dwight WILL get post up opportunities (unlike Tyson) so I guess my Chandler comparison is pretty bad.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Not 5 shots, i guess i didn't get my message across clearly.

I think on a system featuring Dirk, I'd still have Nowitzki as a clear cut #1 option. And I'd like Dirk to be doing his damage in the post. This puts dwight on the odd position of only getting exclusive post up touches when Dirk isn't on the floor. Meaning he'll get his points off lobs and cuts to the basket (therefore my Tyson Chandler comparison). Of course, Dwight WILL get post up opportunities (unlike Tyson) so I guess my Chandler comparison is pretty bad.
    Why? The Mavs don't even do that with Dirk now....they would start every single game with Dwight being featured...hell, they feature Kaman early right now.

Dirk would go spot up in the corner and spread the court for Howard. If they put a smaller player on Dirk...then he'd go to the post. With a stretch 4 like Dirk and a team of shooters/defenders with a real pg...you get the ideal team for Howard.

He'd easily get 12 plus shots a game if he wanted them...plus he'd have a coach in Carlisle that actually cares about defense and what put Howard to good use on that end.

Chandler couldn't even average a double double. Howard, even in his current state, would be putting up roughly 20/13/2. My guess is next year he'll be healthier and that would look something like 22/14/2 with better defense on a team where he's featured and has a stretch 4 like Dirk.

The OP needs to deal with the fact that Howard is going to get the Max from the Lakers and will be their franchise player once Kobe leaves

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    what's dwight's game gonna look like when he's on the other side of 30 with declining athleticism? all his "blocks" are finally gonna be called goaltends and how's he gonna score playing below the rim?

dude's 3 years away from riding the bench
    There are more athletic centers in the league and they don't come close to compare to Dwight in direct comparisons as basketball players.

Deandre Jordan, Javale McGee, etc.

Nobody gets by on just athleticism. And if you do, you're usually not very good.