Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Better in the playoffs - Kevin Garnett or Dirk Nowitzki (alltime)

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Garnett 40.9 mpg
    Nowitzki 41.5 mpg
    Thanks, and it is ridiculous how many more minutes and games Dirk has played in the playoffs than Garnett has. That being said, I think Garnett's prime actually started in '99-'00. I was more curious about Dirk's prime because I wasn't certain when it started.

KG played 61 games and a total of 2500 minutes in the playoffs during his prime years ('99-'00 to '07-'08).

Dirk played 114 games and a total of 4728 minutes in the playoffs during his prime years ('01-'02 to '10-'11).

Dirk has nearly played twice as many minutes and twice as many playoff games as Garnett has.

Anyways, I asked mainly because I wanted to compare their per 36 minutes stats. They play very similar minutes for the most part so this will be a fair assessment.

Garnett total's during his prime in the playoffs - 1361 total points, 778 rebounds, 277 assists, 94 blocks, 89 turnovers, 537 fgm, 1140 fga, 274 ftm, 353 fta, and 2500 minutes played.

Dirk total's during his prime in the playoffs- 2980 total points, 1208 rebounds, 308 assists, 110 blocks, 272 turnovers, 984 fgm, 2109 fga, 886 ftm, 992 fta, and 4728 minutes played.

Garnett's prime stats ('00-'01 to '07-'08) in the playoffs per 36 minutes: 19.6 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 4.0 apg, 1.4 bpg, 1.3 topg, 47.1% fg, 16.4 fga, 77.6% ft, 5.1 fta, 52.5% TS

Dirk's prime stats ('01-'02 to '10-'11) in the playoffs per 36 minutes: 22.7 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 2.3 apg, 0.8 bpg, 2.1 topg, 46.7% fg, 16.1 fga, 89.3% ft, 7.6 fta, 58.5% TS

Dirk stays superior in the playoffs in terms of per 36 minutes stats as well... .

Decent college freshman

this is obviously dirk

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Thanks, and it is ridiculous how many more minutes and games Dirk has played in the playoffs than Garnett has. That being said, I think Garnett's prime actually started in '99-'00. I was more curious about Dirk's prime because I wasn't certain when it started.

KG played 61 games and a total of 2500 minutes in the playoffs during his prime years ('99-'00 to '07-'08).

Dirk played 114 games and a total of 4728 minutes in the playoffs during his prime years ('01-'02 to '10-'11).

Dirk has nearly played twice as many minutes and twice as many playoff games as Garnett has.

Anyways, I asked mainly because I wanted to compare their per 36 minutes stats. They play very similar minutes for the most part so this will be a fair assessment.

Garnett total's during his prime in the playoffs - 1361 total points, 778 rebounds, 277 assists, 94 blocks, 89 turnovers, 537 fgm, 1140 fga, 274 ftm, 353 fta, and 2500 minutes played.

Dirk total's during his prime in the playoffs- 2980 total points, 1208 rebounds, 308 assists, 110 blocks, 272 turnovers, 984 fgm, 2109 fga, 886 ftm, 992 fta, and 4728 minutes played.

Garnett's prime stats ('00-'01 to '07-'08) in the playoffs per 36 minutes: 19.6 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 4.0 apg, 1.4 bpg, 1.3 topg, 47.1% fg, 16.4 fga, 77.6% ft, 5.1 fta, 52.5% TS

Dirk's prime stats ('01-'02 to '10-'11) in the playoffs per 36 minutes: 22.7 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 2.3 apg, 0.8 bpg, 2.1 topg, 46.7% fg, 16.1 fga, 89.3% ft, 7.6 fta, 58.5% TS

Dirk stays superior in the playoffs in terms of per 36 minutes stats as well... .

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

While the circumstances are not equal or anything, Dirk has clearly been the better playoff performer.

I do like how people are able to have a rational conversation about the fact that KG didn't really have the same chances to show what type of player he would have been in the playoffs with a good team around him.

But it is what it is. Dirk has better numbers and more success. Hard to argue knowing that.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Dirk almost his entire career had a great team around him and won only one ring, KG got the same the very first season he got a great team.

Dirk has one advantage - scoring, however offense doesnt end with scoring - add passing advantage KG has, and you get the same points. Then we have KG's screens to open teammates. However I still give Dirk an edge in the offense due to being more clutch.

Rebounding, blocks, steals - all KG.

The biggest difference - KG is an elite All-time great defender, and championships are won more often than not by defense. Thats why Dirk has only one ring despite great talent around him, Amare zero, Nash zero, etc.

Even when KG (or Timmy, or Dream) isnt scoring well, he can contribute on so many levels, defense/rebounding/blocks/steals/passion. When Dirk isnt scoring well, he isnt contributing much.
    So when Dirk isn't scoring much he isn't contributing at all huh? How about all of the defensive attention he draws and as a result his team mates get open looks? How about drawing out the other team's PF all the way out to the perimeter?

Also Dirk is one of the most passionate and loyal players to ever play the game.

KG might be the better all around player, however Dirk isn't as bad defensively as he was earlier in his career. I'd say he's an average defender and not a liability like a lot of people seem to think.

One of the reasons why the Mavs were on fire from 3pt range last year in the playoffs was because Dirk kept drawing double teams.

Dirk is the better playoff performer, KG didn't win a ring until he teamed up with 2 other future hall of famers. Dirk led his team to a championship and beat 3 future hall of fame members.

High School Varsity 6th Man moaz's Avatar

Dirk almost his entire career had a great team around him and won only one ring, KG got the same the very first season he got a great team.
    4 words \ 24 letters:
    Shawn Bradley
    Erick Dampier

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moaz
    4 words \ 24 letters:
    Shawn Bradley
    Erick Dampier
    That guy has a serious anti-dirk agenda, just ignore him.

Dirk>>>>>>>>>>>>

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Dirk has one advantage - scoring, however offense doesnt end with scoring - add passing advantage KG has, and you get the same points. Then we have KG's screens to open teammates. However I still give Dirk an edge in the offense due to being more clutch.

Rebounding, blocks, steals - all KG.

The biggest difference - KG is an elite All-time great defender, and championships are won more often than not by defense. Thats why Dirk has only one ring despite great talent around him, Amare zero, Nash zero, etc.

Even when KG (or Timmy, or Dream) isnt scoring well, he can contribute on so many levels, defense/rebounding/blocks/steals/passion. When Dirk isnt scoring well, he isnt contributing much.
    At no point in Dirk's entire career has he had a truly GREAT team around him like you are talking about.

His best and most talented team ever was probably either 06 or last year. Those are simply very weak title winning teams on paper looking back at NBA history.

You over-rate the absolute shit out of Dirk's help.

Take for example the 06 Mavs that won 60 games, upset the Spurs, and made the finals...have you ever really looked at that roster?

Dirk
    Howard
    Terry
    Stackhouse
    Harris
    Dampier
    Griffin
    Diop
    Van Horn

Those are the guys that played real minutes in the playoffs. That just is not a great team. And that is probably the best or 2nd best team Dirk ever had.

Learning to shoot layups

Dirk and is not even close. We had a glimpse of that when they meet in the playoffs. Is not that the Mavericks won the series, they were the better team, but is how dominant Dirk looked. If Kg would've somehow contained him, then it would've been something different. But, that is not the case. Even that year, Dirk was too fast and skilled for KG. Also, longevity has to be taken in consideration. Dirk can still give you 20pts a night along with elite clutch making. On the other hand, KG has his foot out of the door. Regardless, they are both legends and two of my favorite players ever.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

This is hard to say...Dirk is obviously the better scorer and that is going to reflect in the playoffs. Unless you watched both of them play a lot in the playoffs you are not going to get the full picture though. Dirk was above average defensively during his best years (by no means bad), but Kevin Garnett is elite of the elite...an all time defender and game changer defensively. You aren't going to get that just from looking at stats though.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Dirk is better because he won with his original . Team and never joined a superteam.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopfan777
    Dirk is better because he won with his original . Team and never joined a superteam.
    Because Mchale didn't completely screw over the Twolves and Garnett?

I've always felt like KG didn't match his regular season defensive dominance in the Playoffs until he went to the Celtics. Add his inefficiency and tendency to shy away from big moments, and I think I'd have to give it Dirk.

The thing is, even with all that, it's still close. Just goes to show how well-rounded KG was.

Why necro the old thread?

Prime Playoffs numbers:

Dirk '01-11: 25.9/10.4/2.6/1.1/1.0 @ 46.3 FG% and 49.4 eFG%
    KG '99-08: 22.3/12.7/4.5/1.4/1.6 @ 46.9 FG% and 47.5 eFG%

We have more scoring for Dirk, and yet when you add assists for KG, he contributes to more team points than Dirk does, and thats before we add rebounds, steals and blocks.

Care to compare All-time great defense vs average D too?

Therefore the answer is simple - those who value only scoring (or love Dirk/hate KG), will pick Dirk, the rest would choose KG, including every single GM in NBA (Cuban too ).

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    I've always felt like KG didn't match his regular season defensive dominance in the Playoffs until he went to the Celtics. Add his inefficiency and tendency to shy away from big moments, and I think I'd have to give it Dirk.
    KG was always dominant in D, Playoffs or not. The difference is when team is coached or not, does team have other D players or not. One guy cant do it all alone, regardless what superstar we take.

"shy away from big moments" is such a dumb myth. As Duncan's fan you shouldnt forget in their primes KG shot more in the clutch than TD, or are you implying Duncan was even more shy than KG?

Also look up Playoffs '08, when KG was much better closer than Ray or Pierce in the 4Q. Unless of course you'll say Ray/Pierce are bad closers, that even KG could look good in comparison