Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Do you consider the current era in the NBA a weak era?

The problem is player development I think.

It seems like there are too many draft years that aren't producing superstars.

I mean since the 2003 crop which was loaded, we've had Durant and Rose come into the league in the last 10 years since ... but who else has really rocked the league?

In the 90s, it seemed like every year or two there was some new big time phenom/franchise player coming into the league like Shaq or Webber or Penny or Grant Hill or Iverson or the high school kids movement with Kobe and Garnett and T-Mac coming into the league.

Many of the drafts since 1999 onwards seem to have been crappy, I think it's resulting in a poor league. Kwame Brown, Olawonkandi, Bargnani, etc. etc.

Maybe it's bad luck too but it seems like a lot of guys are having their careers curtailed by injury like Yao, Oden, Roy, etc. (then again I guess you could say the same for Penny and GHill in the 90s).
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

It is an era of mentally weak players and it is total development. So many players would be ready if they played 4 years of college.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    The problem is player development I think.

It seems like there are too many draft years that aren't producing superstars.

I mean since the 2003 crop which was loaded, we've had Durant and Rose come into the league in the last 10 years since ... but who else has really rocked the league?

In the 90s, it seemed like every year or two there was some new big time phenom/franchise player coming into the league like Shaq or Webber or Penny or Grant Hill or Iverson or the high school kids movement with Kobe and Garnett and T-Mac coming into the league.

Many of the drafts since 1999 onwards seem to have been crappy, I think it's resulting in a poor league.
    One of the reasons there arn't as many bigman coming up is because of the greater emphasis on weight training. Being bigger certainly helps when your able to play, but humans weren't meant to be 7 foot tall and when you put slabs of muscle on these bodies and then have them go through basketball games each and every day it takes a toll on their joints.

You see Tim Duncan still dominating out there because he is still skinny so it's not as bad on his joints. Dunno if he still does the swimming thing, but swimming is great cardio that doesn't mess with your joints.Same thing with Kareem. He was like 7'3 but only weighed 220 pounds. A total stick.

Yao/Bynum/Oden. These guys were all BIG and I think their huge frames had an effect on them getting hurt. Yao never got hurt in his early years, but once he put all that muscle on you couldn't keep him on the court.

Even Shaq started missing games a lot when he got excessively heavy. His work ethic(or lack of) probably helped him to be honest. If he was going hard for all 82 regular season games and heavy intensive practices every day I dont think he would've been fresh for the playoffs and dominating the way he did.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    One of the reasons there arn't as many bigman coming up is because of the greater emphasis on weight training. Being bigger certainly helps when your able to play, but humans weren't meant to be 7 foot tall and when you put slabs of muscle on these bodies and then have them go through basketball games each and every day it takes a toll on their joints.

You see Tim Duncan still dominating out there because he is still skinny so it's not as bad on his joints. Dunno if he still does the swimming thing, but swimming is great cardio that doesn't mess with your joints.Same thing with Kareem. He was like 7'3 but only weighed 220 pounds. A total stick.

Yao/Bynum/Oden. These guys were all BIG and I think their huge frames had an effect on them getting hurt. Yao never got hurt in his early years, but once he put all that muscle on you couldn't keep him on the court.

Even Shaq started missing games a lot when he got excessively heavy. His work ethic(or lack of) probably helped him to be honest. If he was going hard for all 82 regular season games and heavy intensive practices every day I dont think he would've been fresh for the playoffs and dominating the way he did.

As completely insane as this sounds, I kind of agree with you