Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Default Re: Why the dunk was banned:

Why are there no Kareem stans?
    I mean you could argue he is GOAT with the accolades he has.

Ebony Magazine - March 1967

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Ebony Magazine - March 1967

Wilt knew wagwarn

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Good stuff.

Also, I like that official at the 1:30 mark setting up for the power spike.
    haha first thing i LOL'd at too. Old boy looked like he wanted to dunk so bad right then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienceslav
    I'm a Kareem stan.

I'm the only dude who every time this comes up in barbershop talk, to say that the only possibly threat to Jordan being the GOAT, is Jabbar being a "closer #2 than anyone wants to admit".

ctrl-f "wilt"

bump

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    bump
    OT - Do you have a recent revision of the prime Wilt mix? My dad's a big fan of your videos (though he started watching in the early 70s, so it's a little before his time), so I wanted to email him the link. Or do you think I should tell him to wait for the final cut?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    OT - Do you have a recent revision of the prime Wilt mix? My dad's a big fan of your videos (though he started watching in the early 70s, so it's a little before his time), so I wanted to email him the link. Or do you think I should tell him to wait for the final cut?

He can watch it now if he wants, just know it isn't near being finished yet there's a lot of material that is missing (like half) and I'm still messing around with the music/audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCJwuF-_lj4

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    He can watch it now if he wants, just know it isn't near being finished yet there's a lot of material that is missing (like half) and I'm still messing around with the music/audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCJwuF-_lj4
    Ah okay, in that case I'll hold off for now. Thanks for the update.

Banned

He aged like fine wine. He was so athletic and brute in his early years, finesse and brains till he retired. He racked up mad points.

http://youtu.be/kDdVQN7xEuI?t=1m27s

Hasheem Thabeet is almost the same height as the young Sophomore Jabbar was in those clips (7-1 and 1/4 vs 7-1 and 3/8ths) and look at how much slower and less coordinated he moves, even as an adult. Jabbar wasn't even done growing and he was far more coordinated. There aren't many 7-1+ people who were as coordinated and light on their feet as Jabbar. Just think about Brook Lopez, he's about 6-11.5 and is one of the premiere offensive centers today (sad but true), but even he moves like Frankenstein compared to Jabbar and he's over 2 inches shorter than what Kareem eventually grew too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienceslav
    You could say I'm a Kareem stan, I have him as the Greatest Of All Time to grace a basketball court. But I don't go around trying to shove it through other people's throat cause in my opinion any intelligent basketball fan would appreciate his greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    You could say I'm a Kareem stan, I have him as the Greatest Of All Time to grace a basketball court. But I don't go around trying to shove it through other people's throat cause in my opinion any intelligent basketball fan would appreciate his greatness.
    Believe it, or not, I have always been a huge fan of Kareem. In fact, I was an Alcindor fan in his college days. I have long maintained that he was, by far and away, the greatest collegian to have ever played.

And I was rooting for him from day one in his NBA career. Being a near life-long Laker fan, I cheered him on in his LA days.

However, IMHO, everything came so easily, and so fast for him, that he became complacent. Yes, when motivated, he could put up 40-50 point games on Walton, Wilt, and Cowens, and even at age 39, against Hakeem and Ewing. But, for whatever reasons, he lacked the desire to dominate over the course of entire seasons (at least after 71-72), and in fact, often couldn't dominate over the course of an entire playoff series...instead just going thru the motions.

And, I honestly believe that he just couldn't sustain his sheer dominance even against the relatively average centers of his era. His post-seasons against the Sonics in the late 70's, while great for most players, were very much below average for him. And, when he faced the relentless Moses in the late 70's, and into the 80's, he just flat couldn't compete. He just didn't have the desire to bang with him for 48 minutes, at either end of the floor.

I believe he could have been much greater. But, the reality was, if Magic had not arrived in '80, I doubt Kareem would have played much longer, and would have retired a big disappointment.