Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brad Daugherty ...

This guys everywhere now, you guys like him?

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Default Re: Brad Daugherty ...

Well spoken and knows the game. I've heard worse.

NBA rookie of the year

Is he good, can the Cavs get him?

http://nbahoopsonline.com/Articles/t.../Daugherty.jpg

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

He only did NASCAR before. Well spoken fellow.

Didn't realize the dude's NBA career ended at 28. He was a good player.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Didn't realize the dude's NBA career ended at 28. He was a good player.
    Yeah. He was a very good center in a league which had prime Ewing, prime Hakeem, prime Robinson as well as Mourning and Mutumbo in their youths (not to mention several other solid centers like Seiklay and Smits). It is a shame we never really got to see Daughtery at his peak due to injuries. He also had bad timing in playing in the golden age of centers. Imagine him in today's league with the dearth of centers!

I heard a comparison of Okafor at Duke to him. It doesn't get me excited, but he was a pretty good. I guess having Ewing at the same time never got me excited about someone like Daugherty

In a tank season, is Brad Daugherty part 2 the ultimate reward????

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    I heard a comparison of Okafor at Duke to him. It doesn't get me excited, but he was a pretty good. I guess having Ewing at the same time never got me excited about someone like Daugherty

If Okafor is Daugherty without the injuries, that would easily be worth the No. 1 pick. He was headed toward being one of the very best centers in the NBA in arguably the best bigman era ever. He was maybe the best passing center I have ever seen. He had incredible court vision and he just had an innate feel for the game.

In fact, during his prime years in the early-90s, I might argue that he was the best offensive center in the league. He didn't do it with brute strength like a lot of big guys, but he had virtually no holes on the offensive end. The guy would put up 20+ points, 10+ rebounds and 5+ assists seemingly every night before the injuries took hold. And, he was the best player on some very good teams, so it's not like his game didn't translate to wins. In 1989, they were maybe the favorites to come out of the East going into the postseason. That team won close to 60 games.

Unfortunately, they had no answer for the GOAT in the playoffs and Daugherty's injuries flared up in that series. It's too bad that most people will never know how skilled Daugherty was in those few short years.

If that's Okafor, I'd be doing cartwheels to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99

Absolutely. Prime Brad was a bit like 04-08 Duncan without the great defense.

One of the best passing big men ever. Bird's Celtics were close to getting him as well.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    If Okafor is Daugherty without the injuries, that would easily be worth the No. 1 pick. He was headed toward being one of the very best centers in the NBA in arguably the best bigman era ever. He was maybe the best passing center I have ever seen. He had incredible court vision and he just had an innate feel for the game.

In fact, during his prime years in the early-90s, I might argue that he was the best offensive center in the league. He didn't do it with brute strength like a lot of big guys, but he had virtually no holes on the offensive end. The guy would put up 20+ points, 10+ rebounds and 5+ assists seemingly every night before the injuries took hold. And, he was the best player on some very good teams, so it's not like his game didn't translate to wins. In 1990, they were maybe the favorites to come out of the East going into the postseason. That team won close to 60 games.

Unfortunately, they had no answer for the GOAT in the playoffs and Daugherty's injuries flared up in that series. It's too bad that most people will never know how skilled Daugherty was in those few short years.

He reminded me of TD before there was a TD. Very smooth all around game, but was definitely not flashy in any way.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Daugherty was the #1 pick for a reason even if 1986 is arguably the worst draft ever. Very good center in a time when centers were still great. Very skilled. A below the rim player. Not a great defender, but offensively extremely good.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

It will never stop blowing my mind how he was a 16 year old college freshman. A contributing 16 year old freshman... In the peak of ACC basketball (80s).

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

In fact, during his prime years in the early-90s, I might argue that he was the best offensive center in the league. He didn't do it with brute strength like a lot of big guys, but he had virtually no holes on the offensive end. The guy would put up 20+ points, 10+ rebounds and 5+ assists seemingly every night before the injuries took hold. And, he was the best player on some very good teams, so it's not like his game didn't translate to wins. In 1990, they were maybe the favorites to come out of the East going into the postseason. That team won close to 60 games.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Absolutely. Prime Brad was a bit like 04-08 Duncan without the great defense.

One of the best passing big men ever. Bird's Celtics were close to getting him as well.
    Alright, I'm convinced. I will welcome him on the Knicks with 100% excitement

Now to check if he has injury history...

Decent college freshman

Those were some nice Cavs teams he was a part of.

Dougherty
    Nance
    Price
    Harper
    Hot-Rod Williams
    Ehlo
    Kerr

Too bad they were in the same division as the Pistons & Bulls. Would have made noise in the west.

Was the number one pick in the draft and he lived up to it! And at his best, dropped 21 points, 11 boards, and 4 dimes in the Golden Era. In terms TOTAL offensive skill level (scoring and passing), I think he was one of the top 10 centers of all time. I think he's up there with Wilt, Kareem, Walton, Marc Gasol, Sabonis, D Rob, etc.
    Last edited by bizil; 02-26-2015 at 08:39 PM.