Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Default Tennis - 2016 US Open

Kicking off tomorrow

Novak Djokovic

Djokovic finally secured the career Slam with a win at the French, but since then has lost alot, and has reported to have had some troubles re-charging his batteries, typical after such a long string of success.

He's still the favorite, but his form needs to improve.

Andy Murray

Murray is on a career year, and looking to make his 4th and all 4 slam finals of the year. After losing twice to Djokovic, he won Wimbledon, Olympics, and looked to go into the US Open on a 23-match winning streak, but he lost the Cincy final to a red hot Cilic.

Best form at the moment, lets see how he controls his emotions, puts his abilities to use, and if he may or may not be slightly overplayed.

Rafael Nadal

Nadal is back. Sorta.

After his spectacular clay season, he looked ready to win the French, or at least provide Djokovic with by far his biggest challenge, but he had to retire after the second round (and the two biggest wins of the tourney) to a wrist injury.

After sitting out 2 months, he surprisingly came back in top form, won Olympics doubles, and came within inches of the Olympic final, as he lost to Del Potro in the semifinal third set tiebreaker. He lost the Bronze match due to Nishikori's shameful theatrics and 10 minute bathroom break.

He has his wrist issue. He's hitting well enough that his will and ability could carry him over.

--

Others to look out for:

Raonic, Wawrinka, Del Potro, Cilic

   

Default Re: Tennis - 2016 US Open

according to sports illustrated, djokes hurt his left wrist sometime before the olympics. for a guy who uses a two-handed backhand, that's a problem.

i guess that this explains a few things, but also means that the US open is even more up for grabs than usual. djokes is also seeded in to a tough draw, apparently.

will murray continue to capitalise on this golden opportunity? will the colt build on his impressive olympics run? can dogs play basketball on the moon? keep updating this thread to hear all the answers, plus much more.

copy/paste from TDT;

U.S. Open starts Monday. Djoker and Serena are probably the favorites, but I think Murray and Kerber are in better form. I'll be pulling for Raonic and Halep. My darkhorses would be Cilic and Pliskova, who are both in peak form.

Raonic with a tough draw. Might have to go through Paire in the 2nd round and Monfils in the 3rd round.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

shut up, autistic waters.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Raonic with a tough draw. Might have to go through Paire in the 2nd round and Monfils in the 3rd round.
    Monfils would be the 4th... the winner of that probably meets Rafa in the QF

Djoker drops the 2nd set. Might have an injured right arm. Lobbing serves in at 80-90mph.

   

hard to imagine djokes winning this thing with two significant injuries.

which means that if murray follows through and takes this thing, suddenly we have a more interesting race for most points on the year, especially if the djoker is out for a while.

Djoker has no significant injuries... Stop it

If Murray takes this and Nole doesn't reach the final, he'll be 1st in the ATP Race and in a good position to get to the 1st place in the ATP ranking at the end of the year, considering that Djokovic has got a ton of points to defend in the second part of the season.

   

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Djoker has no significant injuries... Stop it
    hey, don't kill the messenger, now.

Whether he wins this or not, Verdasco is such a talented player.. he only really shows it in 2-3 tournaments a year and to anger some big guys in the early rounds of slams anymore, since he is aging.

Djoker with a walkover against Vesley who could have been a tough opponent.

Harrison having the match of his career. Not looking good for Raonic.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    If Murray takes this and Nole doesn't reach the final, he'll be 1st in the ATP Race and in a good position to get to the 1st place in the ATP ranking at the end of the year, considering that Djokovic has got a ton of points to defend in the second part of the season.
    really?

that seems hard to believe considering that djokes had such a whomping year last year and that even if murray takes the US open, he still seems to be trailing the djoker pretty hard for points in 2016 alone.

anyway, phew... djokes just got a massively-needed bye. but whether that's enough to heal up sufficiently is another question...

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    really?

that seems hard to believe considering that djokes had such a whomping year last year and that even if murray takes the US open, he still seems to be trailing the djoker pretty hard for points in 2016 alone.

With Tennis rankings you have to defend your points from the previous year. So when Djoker went out early at Wimbledon, he took a huge point hit. He also went out early at Dubai and Monte Carlo, although I'm not sure what his results the previous season were at those events. I believe Murray has made the final of every tournament this year as well, only losing to Djoker.