Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Without sports, where would these guys be in life?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Thats because you grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth.

My standards are higher than yours, but I have to work 2x harder than people like you while balancing other things that you couldn't possibly imagine doing at my age.
    Oh and now you know ME? I had to work a job in HS just like everyone else. I paid for college with a combination of external scholarships to supplement the academic scholarship I received annually from the university.

Not 1060 out of 2400. Of course not.

However 1060 out of 1600 at that time, if the school believed he was able to attend the university and hang academically, what is your point? He got the scholarship because they believed he could make it at Duke academically while bringing in millions in revenue for their basketball program.
    He would not have gotten in there without basketball with a 1060/1600 SAT score. No way. Basketball players getting in universities for basketball only need to achieve the minimum possible score for eligibility (which is absurdly low) to play for that university. You really think they were recruiting Kobe for his mind? Lol.

Those average scores were flawed by enough retards who lowered the scores down with pulling off 200's out of 800. You do realize if everyone in the United States was as smart as you think they are, the averages would've been much higher. I can point out the data collected about my school to show you what happens to the average SAT score when you remove retards from an academic setting.

Kobe is still smarter than most people walking the street right now.
    Why would you set random bums as the standard? I set the standard at any random kid that can get into college.

We take away a person's best talent and expect them to adjust without a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Knicks
    Holy shit. Are we even in the same conversation? I said KOBE BRYANT's GODDAMN SCHOLARSHIP was for basketball. Obviously you have to maintain eligibility like everyone else. Doesn't make you a genius.
    I've never once said Kobe Bryant was a genius. Im just saying in comparsion to the average slave in America, he is in fact smarter than most people.

Secondly, His scholarship was for basketball. However to get a Duke scholarship regardless of sport you have to be perceived to maintain academic eligibility at Duke. This isn't a SEC school other than Vanderbilt. You actually have to go to class, be successful in class, and be a model citizen.

Why do you think Duke hesitated for so long before officially offering John Wall a scholarship? Despite Wall being the #1 player in the country, would fill a position of need, and was just 30 minutes down the road. They had to monitor his grades to see if he could hang at Duke, if he would choose them.

I scored a 1320/1600. Well, now therein lies the problem. I had people in my school that were minorities that scored much lower but got into Cornell, UPENN, and some even Harvard. Now because I'm white, I had to go to a state school. Real fair isn't it? I grew up under the same conditions and in the same damn city. I did qualify for a state scholarship, but not a full ride.
    Thats due to race quotas. They've tried their best to do away with that system, but it was put in place to ensure minorities to get into Universities to create the belief of a "racially diverse" campus. This is why so many Universities go out of their way to build things for African Americans on campus. I saw Purdue built an African American History Center. Thats comedic because there is no such thing as African American history. That is because African Americans have yet to be officially recognized as creating history outside of being "firsts".

Secondly, I understand your pain. I am capable right now to go to a state school, but I have it worse off than most people and I am unable to get scholarships and funding due to being a minority because they only cover the "top tier".

Shaq would be a bone breaker of a bouncer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    a 1320 isn't enough for ivy league.

I got a 700 crit, 640 math, and 630 writing and I only got into rutgers with no scholarship. I knew some kids that got 1400s and one guy with a 1510 that got scholarships at emory and VT but 1300s isn't getting you much money.

Kobe's 1060 is flawed too. The math and crit sections are fully dependable on how much you studied and can be mastered if you get a tutor and memorize all the different types of math problems/vocab words.

When I first took the SATs I got a 620 in crit and a 600 in math. After buying a SAT book and reading it I got a 700 and 630. Studying is how you improve that and the test isnt an indicator of IQ but rather education.
    If we can assume he will convert his enthusiasm for basketball into one for education, then I'd be fine with an assumption that he can improve his scores and get into a major college. But I'm sure Emeka Okafor worked really hard to be an athlete in HS too (I mean he had to be to make the NBA after UCONN right?), but he scored a 1310 on his SATs.

Oh and now you know ME? I had to work a job in HS just like everyone else. I paid for college with a combination of external scholarships to supplement the academic scholarship I received annually from the university.
    Thats what I thought.

He would not have gotten in there without basketball with a 1060/1600 SAT score. No way. Basketball players getting in universities for basketball only need to achieve the minimum possible score for eligibility (which is absurdly low) to play for that university. You really think they were recruiting Kobe for his mind? Lol.
    Thats true with some schools. However we're talking about Duke. Lets not confuse UNLV with Duke. There is much more challenge to stay eligible at schools like Duke, Stanford, etc. Yes, that counts for basketball players as well. Not to mention Coach K doesn't play anybody who's GPA slips below 3.0.

That was the reason why McRoberts left, Olek Cysz left, and Taylor King left recently despite their prep accomplishments and basketball talent.

Why would you set random bums as the standard? I set the standard at any random kid that can get into college.
    Thats because random bums, actually in my opinion "government slaves" are the standard. Do you realize that people like you & eventually me who are capable of getting into a state school are the minority amongst people of our graduating HS class? As I mentioned before, you have a flawed sense of reality that comes from your upbringing. If you grew up in or around poverty and the middle class made up of government slaves you'd be able to understand what I am talking about. People like You, Me & Kobe are above the standard.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

The real thing here is that kobe is a smarter guy than his SATs indicate. SATs are based off of education. If kobe didn't play ball he could have worked at school more. It is pretty obvious from his interviews and segments that he is a very well spoken individual and his killer instinct/ extreme focus combined with his work ethic indicate to me that he could have directed his focus to school work and done very well in a field he was interested in.

I like how this thread took a whole different meaning when Kobe got mentioned.

If we can assume he will convert his enthusiasm for basketball into one for education, then I'd be fine with an assumption that he can improve his scores and get into a major college. But I'm sure Emeka Okafor worked really hard to be an athlete in HS too (I mean he had to be to make the NBA after UCONN right?), but he scored a 1310 on his SATs.
    Have you ever played HS sports? The work ethic it takes to balance academics & athletic responsibilities is too much for most people. I tried it out but it is even tougher to balance when you have to legally work also.

Thats why guys who are top athletes and put together elite academic portfolios are very rare. Ironically, 3 of those guys are going to be Top 10 picks in the NBA Draft in 2011 in Harrison Barnes, Brandon Knight, & Kyrie Irving.

If Kobe didn't play basketball, who knows how well he'd do academically. Thats often times why the standard is lower for athletes compared to non-athlete students and schools have to go on a case by case iniative to decide who is capable of maintining academic eligibility at their school.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Why are people acting like players work ethic would translate from basketball to academics. Who's to say Kobe would apply himself in something like a manager position as he does with basketball.

Most of these players LOVE what they do so all tho it's tiring and hard to constantly be working on your game your still doing something you love. Doubt most of these guys love academics or work the same way they would basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    The real thing here is that kobe is a smarter guy than his SATs indicate. SATs are based off of education. If kobe didn't play ball he could have worked at school more. It is pretty obvious from his interviews and segments that he is a very well spoken individual and his killer instinct/ extreme focus combined with his work ethic indicate to me that he could have directed his focus to school work and done very well in a field he was interested in.
    I agree. He came from a good family as well as hes never been the type to become a member of the thug/gangsta lifestyle that rejects standard education.

Karl Malone = Mail man

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Why are people acting like players work ethic would translate from basketball to academics. Who's to say Kobe would apply himself in something like a manager position as he does with basketball.

Most of these players LOVE what they do so all tho it's tiring and hard to constantly be working on your game your still doing something you love. Doubt most of these guys love academics or work the same way they would basketball.
    Thats because if you have a great work ethic you can apply it to anything, including academics.

If you don't have a great work ethic and rely solely off the talent you may have at a specific craft, its harder to translate that to other areas.

Seriously when you think about it, name the 10 laziest players in the NBA. Guys with real talent, but are too lazy to work harder to get better. I guarantee none of these guys have a college degree, nor were they good students. Thats because they've never had a good work ethic anyways.

You dont make the NBA by being lazy.

Stop being stupid.

Shaq-hobo