Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default ++Karl Malone Appreciation Thread++

Karl Malone was chosen by the Jazz in 1985 out of Louisiana Tech with the 13th overall pick in the draft. In his first season he averaged 15pts and 9rbs with the Utah Jazz. After the team decided to trade Adrian Dantley to Pistons to build around Malone, his numbers skyrocketed to 22pts 11rbs the next season.

Karl is known for being a physical and arguably dirty player that had a tough nose for the game and had an incredible scoring presence. Nicknamed the "Mailman" because he always seemed to deliver consistently in scoring defense and toughness nigh in and night out.

Malone Played 18 seasons with the Jazz and in that time he only missed 41 games. He had a drive and passion for this game and always wanted to win and succeed. Sadly he never got the one thing that was missing on his resume. A ring.

In 2003 in signed with the Lakers to try and pursue that final piece of Hardware that was missing from his All Star MVPs Gold Medal, and 2 MVP trophies. Sadly the Lakers couldnt pull it off.

When he decided to call it quits and retire he left the game with an astonishing. 36,928 points second all time behind Kareem in scoring. His career average was 25.0 pts 10.0 rebounds.

This year Malone is being inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall Of Fame. He is well deserving. He was an epitome for what basketball players should be. And in my mind the best PF to ever play this game.

Karl Malone, "Mailman" we will never see someone like you again!

Karl Malone`s Achievements:

2 x NBA MVP (1997, 1999)
    13 x NBA All-Star (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001)
    11 x All-NBA First Team Selection (1989-1999)
    2 x All-NBA Second Team Selection (1988, 2000)
    1 x All-NBA Third Team Selection (2001)
    3 x NBA All-Defensive First Team Selection (1997-1999)
    1 x NBA All-Defensive Second Team Selection (1988)
    1986 NBA All-Rookie Team
    2 x NBA All-Star MVP (1989, 1993)
    NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team

Last edited by Skep; 08-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: ++Karl Malone Appreciation Thread++

Great player. Too bad the most recent memories I got from him are in that ring chasing lakers team that got involved in the biggest upset in nba finals history.

may i also add that he delivered a crushing blow on isiah thomas' head, nearly cracked his head

3-time NBA All-Star

Tough, dedicated, and consistently great.

I'd love to see him in today's guarding and being guarded by the likes Dirk, Bosh, Bargnani, and Villanueva. He'd make them cry.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan **** Karl Malone.

Short of Pistol Pete and Joe Namath...the most overrated athlete in american sports history*.

If I want 27 and 12 and to lose when it matters ill get it from someone who didnt get a middle school girl pregnant when he was a grown man.

*may or may not actually believe

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Short of Pistol Pete and Joe Namath...the most overrated athlete in american sports history*.

If I want 27 and 12 and to lose when it matters ill get it from someone who didnt get a middle school girl pregnant when he was a grown man.

You are an idiot. Its an appreciation thread. Take your opinion that is neither credible nor anyone gives a shit about else where.

3-time NBA All-Star

LOL lose when it matters.... he went toe to toe with Jordan a number of times and lost. If you're gonna lose theres no shame in losing to one of the GOATs.

As for the pregnant middle schooler, if you can't separate their greatness on the court with their poor decisions off the court, then you need to really examine everyone's decisions, not just those you don't care for.

I am your soldier!

Woah you two guys getting upset clearly didn't see the last line:

I'm 98% sure he does not believe that.

Anyway, Malone is one of my 5 favorite all time players. He was awesome, consistent, and straight up bad ass. He would destroy people like Bosh if he was playing in today's game.

You are an idiot. Its an appreciation thread. Take your opinion that is neither credible nor anyone gives a shit about else where.
    I dont see much to appreciate. A bigman who made a living off making shots spoon fed to him, hitting people smaller than him ,and losing when it matters often in head scratching upsets(he has 3-4 50+ win first round losses...including as a 61 win team).

He just isnt that impressive on an all time level.

As for claims he lost to Jordan...

He lost to Jordan 2 times in...19 years?

Karl Malone lost to the NBa. He lost to Kevin Johnson. tim Hardaway. Kemp. Hakeem. I think Rasheed. He lost to Dirk.

He lost to everyone. Jordan beating him twice doesnt mean hes the reason he couldnt get over the hump. Malone spent 17 other years losing when it mattered.

he was an overrated everything. Well...most things. he was an overrated passer whos entire reputation is based on over the shoulder looks to cutters and it took him like 8 years to be good at that. Hes an overrated rebounder. I dont think he averaged 10 a game after like...95. He went like 10 years without being a bigtime rebounder. He was getting old but great rebounders dont lose it to age that often. Rodman and Barkley were dominating the boards in their last years because they were great rebounders. He was an overrated defender who lived off swipes and putting a body on people so they couldnt get straight to shoot. He had slow feet most of his career, couldnt protect the basket/prevent drives as much as hit you when you got there, and his shot blocking was never special.

His offense was....being on the other end of John Stockton and about 2 moves in the post. A couple nice moves off the spin in his youth and looking over his shoulder twice before firing a fadeaway that went in like 40% of the time by his prime.

All Karl Malone did on an all time level was finish in traffic(that I have nothing negative to say about...he finished shots many others couldnt dream of).

Thats it. Karl Malone was arguably the best finisher of all time and he had great hands as he matured.

The rest is overrated.

He was great at what he did. But what he did wasnt reliable enough to lean on hism when it matters. Which is why he scored 2 points in the second half of a close finals game when hes the "mvp" and thats why he didnt deliver on Sundays.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 08-04-2010 at 09:45 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Kblaze time to do a Sidney Moncrief mix.

Saw a basketball once

National High School Star

Malone used to be the GOAT PF until he joined the Fakers.
    Then he dropped to 10th.

Saw a basketball once

He just isnt that impressive on an all time level.
    He scored more points in his career than Michael Jordan, tell me that isn't impressive on a all time level. #1 All time is of course Greg Ostertag who was spoon fed everything from Stockton into becoming the biggest offensive force the NBA has ever seen

ok that last part may not be true, but you get my point
    Last edited by ut_jazz; 08-04-2010 at 10:40 PM.

I know he was a good player. Great even. But everything about him screams either overrated, choker, or just....jackass. I mean really...

He has at least 3 kids none of them he would accept right away. The first 2 he violated a court order for a DNA test on and only after that did neh acknowledge they were his. He didnt accept them into his life till years later

His other kid is now in the NFL....and he didnt meet him till he was 18. He knew about him too. He met the kid and according to him one of the first things he told him was "Its too late to be your father" and told him he wouldnt be giving him any money. Thats whats onhis mind after not seeing his child for 18 years.

He helped push Magic out of the NBA when his comeback was going great. magic actually played the 93 preseason. Karl and others helped force him out

He was voted the dirtiest player in the NBA by both players and fans(last vote he got 32% of the vote....only one other player had as many as half his votes). Dude just breaks the face of a guy 100 pounds and 8 inches smaller than him over percieved disrespect of Stockton when Isiah gave him like 40 over him getting picked for the dream team and not Isiah. Nique flat out called hi ma cheap shot artisto ut to hurt people smaller than him.

And on top of it...the mother of the 3rd kid he went deadbeat on....was 11 or 12 when they were together. Whe nhe was 20 or 21.

And that isnt bad enough...

He lost in the playoffs 19 years in a row, choked under pressure at the Ft line and in active play, and somehow...

Got called classy the whole way.

Karl Malone is an example of so much wrong with the sports world. A dirty player, deadbeat dad, child molester who only gets praise due to sports...and he failed to win at that. 19 times.

Too many athletes are assholes and dont get called on it due to their greatness. Karl set a new standards(at least for things we know).

I wont watch him praised without saying what I think is beyond all argument...

Hes a chold molesting, deadbeat, bully, choker.

And if you need to praise him in spite of it over getting 14 thousand layups from John Stockton so be it.

But he did enough shiot that it justifies mentioning every time he comes up.