Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am your soldier!

Default Re: Shawn Kemp; Derrick Coleman; Larry Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    No, Coleman was the really special one. Had a complete inside/outside game and all the skills. At his very short peak he was the most complete 4 I ever saw, better than Barkley, Malone, TD, or KG.

Kemp I'd rank #2 is this group. More of a textbook 4 with freak athleticism, but also some offensive limitations.

Johnson was good, but not quite on that level. A bit of a tweener, lacked height and unlike Barkley didn't have the huge wingspan or freakish athleticism to make up for it.
    Yeah but LJ had the attitude and work ethic that the others needed. If he hadn't messed up his back and the other two had their same career, LJ would've been the best. He wanted to be the man, worked out like crazy, changed his game, and was tough as hell.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

The hardest worker in the history of the game
    Stockton worked just as hard. They competed each fall to see who showed up to camp with the lowest % of body fat. LOL!

Original ISH CLTHornet CLTHornets4eva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Yeah but LJ had the attitude and work ethic that the others needed. If he hadn't messed up his back and the other two had their same career, LJ would've been the best. He wanted to be the man, worked out like crazy, changed his game, and was tough as hell.
    He really could have gone down as one the best ever. I think he tops this list. Most dynamic ofthe bunch. Really was the Lebron style player before Lebron. Not as good obviously but he had a similar style.

Sad story about LJ great hornet.

DC was an insanely special player. He could've been an all time great, a legendary player, but he's lazy and didn't seem to care.

No, Coleman was the really special one. Had a complete inside/outside game and all the skills. At his very short peak he was the most complete 4 I ever saw, better than Barkley, Malone, TD, or KG.

Kemp I'd rank #2 is this group. More of a textbook 4 with freak athleticism, but also some offensive limitations.

Johnson was good, but not quite on that level. A bit of a tweener, lacked height and unlike Barkley didn't have the huge wingspan or freakish athleticism to make up for it.
    What a ridiculous post all around. Coleman had the skills but he NEVER had the mental aspect, in terms of work ethic and passion for the game.

and LJ didnt have freakish athleticism? uuhh.......................

All three of these guys looked to be the next great PF's on the horizon to join Barkley and Malone. And all three were amongst the premier PF's in the game. Kemp and Coleman really looked liked they were going to redefine the PF position. Kemp to this day is still (well Blake looks like he may have him beat) arguably the most freakish athlete the PF spot has seen. On top of it he had a nice midrange J and he had a very nice handle for a 6'10 PF. Kemp was even pretty damn good on the boards and defense.

Coleman for skill for skill offensively was as complete as any PF ever. At 6'10 he could score from anywhere on the floor. But at the same time he was still a beast on the block. He was an excellent passer and had a very nice handle for a 6'10 PF. DC was a beast on the boards as well.

LJ in my opinion was next in line for that Barkley type undersized PF. He was never as good as Chuck but he was capable of playing SF and PF like Chuck. And LJ had a nice handle like Chuck as well. I do think LJ had more consistent three ball range on his jumper. And both men were beasts on the block. LJ had tremendous footwork on the block. I think LJ had many attributes that Barkley had. It's just that Barkley was the better version.

In any event all three of these guys had HOF type material. But they didn't get to exploit it for a long time. Kemp got to enjoy it the most, but even at 29 or 30 he was already falling off due to other shit. But all three of these gave a look to the future of what was to come at PF. It was really the guys like Webber, KG, Dirk, Duncan, and Sheed who ultimately revolutionized the PF spot and were beasts for very good-great periods of time. But Coleman, Kemp, LJ, and even Mcdyess should have been right there with those five guys along with an aging but still great Malone in the late 90's to 2000s.

Decent college freshman

I really like Larry Johnson's game from before he got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    I really like Larry Johnson's game from before he got injured.
    I dug LJ's game to big time. He had great handle for PF. He had a great post game as well. He had the midrange game down as well. And he had three point range as well. Was a beast on the boards, especially for a guy 6'6. And he was a freak athlete as well in terms of his combo of power, speed, and hops for a guy 6'6 and 250 pounds. When he had the serious injuries, he played more SF in addition to the PF. LJ was so skilled that he was able to adapt and be a very valuable contributor for those Knick teams. Other than great defense, LJ seemed to have it all in terms for what u look for in a PF. The fact he could swing to SF made him unique.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    lol @ shaq hate.

Yea man I miss the 90s. Whenever I watch those classic 90s games on nbatv I'm like OH remember (that guy!) There was another guy that I was thinking of. I'll have to look up who it was.

Oh yeah, Laphonso Ellis whatever happened to him? Did he get injured or something? I forgot. That dude was a stud for a second. I know his stats don't reflect it but, he was always one of those guys that was just beast mode. I remember I used to live in Illinois and I'd always watch the bulls (cuz every game would be televised) and I'd always be cheering against them (lol), but I remember certain people that just did the Bulls like Damon Stoudamire. I always liked watching Laphonso play.

And if you don't remember dude check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTGDam-06I sorry to highjack your thread lol...

-Smak
    Ellis had too many injuries, and i heard he was a nut case in the locker room too

probably a little too intense

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    All three of these guys looked to be the next great PF's on the horizon to join Barkley and Malone. And all three were amongst the premier PF's in the game. Kemp and Coleman really looked liked they were going to redefine the PF position. Kemp to this day is still (well Blake looks like he may have him beat) arguably the most freakish athlete the PF spot has seen. On top of it he had a nice midrange J and he had a very nice handle for a 6'10 PF. Kemp was even pretty damn good on the boards and defense.

Coleman for skill for skill offensively was as complete as any PF ever. At 6'10 he could score from anywhere on the floor. But at the same time he was still a beast on the block. He was an excellent passer and had a very nice handle for a 6'10 PF. DC was a beast on the boards as well.

LJ in my opinion was next in line for that Barkley type undersized PF. He was never as good as Chuck but he was capable of playing SF and PF like Chuck. And LJ had a nice handle like Chuck as well. I do think LJ had more consistent three ball range on his jumper. And both men were beasts on the block. LJ had tremendous footwork on the block. I think LJ had many attributes that Barkley had. It's just that Barkley was the better version.

In any event all three of these guys had HOF type material. But they didn't get to exploit it for a long time. Kemp got to enjoy it the most, but even at 29 or 30 he was already falling off due to other shit. But all three of these gave a look to the future of what was to come at PF. It was really the guys like Webber, KG, Dirk, Duncan, and Sheed who ultimately revolutionized the PF spot and were beasts for very good-great periods of time. But Coleman, Kemp, LJ, and even Mcdyess should have been right there with those five guys along with an aging but still great Malone in the late 90's to 2000s.
    No, he doesn't have Kemp beat.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    No, he doesn't have Kemp beat.
    Blake hasn't done it as long as Kemp so u r right in that sense. But in terms of sheer jumping ability and strength as a combo, Blake is at the worst on par with Kemp. But Kemp had a certain style and swagger with his shit that makes him unique to EVERY PF to this day!

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Blake hasn't done it as long as Kemp so u r right in that sense. But in terms of sheer jumping ability and strength as a combo, Blake is at the worst on par with Kemp. But Kemp had a certain style and swagger with his shit that makes him unique to EVERY PF to this day!
    Kemp in his prime (circa 1996) is taller, longer and every bit as explosive. He was also as strong as Blake in this time.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Kemp in his prime (circa 1996) is taller, longer and every bit as explosive. He was also as strong as Blake in this time.
    He wasn't taller. He might be lankier, but he ain't stronger in my book. I said it could be considered that Kemp is the greatest freak athlete ever at PF. But Blake is already doing shit on par with Kemp. But he doesn't have the catalog that Kemp does. But Blake has the brute force Karl Malone type strength. Kemp while strong wasn't quite as strong as Malone. It took Kemp a while to fill out his body in the L. Blake and Karl came in strong as an ox from day one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQC5g7yezgs

^every bit as athletic as Griffin

NBA rookie of the year

Larry Johnson wasn't athletic? Errr...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQSd0V5_iUo