Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Shawn Kemp; Derrick Coleman; Larry Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    I think Kemp's drinking became a problem during the 96-97 season. It was frustrating to watch as a Sonics fan. I remember he had the "audacity" to get wasted on powerful shots on whatever alcoholic drinks until the wee hours when the Bulls were in town to play them the next day. MJ did put on a magnificent show that day.

And those Grandmama Converse shoe commercials were the shiznit! "THAT WAS A LUCKY SHOT GRANDMA!"

This is the 1st LJ commercial I ever saw (circa 1992):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGnE3bnYkA
    Pretty sure that's about the time his cocaine problem started to get out of control too.

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    And those Grandmama Converse shoe commercials were the shiznit! "THAT WAS A LUCKY SHOT GRANDMA!"

This is the 1st LJ commercial I ever saw (circa 1992):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGnE3bnYkA

Munchkin: Welcome to three-point land!
    Grandmamma: I gotta have an inside game!

The Irony is rich.

Great college starter

All good points....seems like alot of the future stars from the 90's broke down physically, going down with injuries and never returning to prior form......can this be attributed to the physicality of 90's basketball??

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    All good points....seems like alot of the future stars from the 90's broke down physically, going down with injuries and never returning to prior form......can this be attributed to the physicality of 90's basketball??
    I think it is due to the players having a total lack of commitment to anything resembling a work ethic. Those guys cared more about grabbing their Johnsons and styling after a dunk than working on their games or their fitness.

Take away basketball, and they end up selling crack on the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    I think it is due to the players having a total lack of commitment to anything resembling a work ethic. Those guys cared more about grabbing their Johnsons and styling after a dunk than working on their games or their fitness.

Take away basketball, and they end up selling crack on the corner.
    http://hightimes.com/news/ht_admin/1262

Love LJ, even on the knicks.
    It was like watching a soap opera.
    Who could ever forgot the imaginary foul and 4 point play.

I didn't forget about LaPhonso Ellis, Baker, Anderson, ect and especially Chris Webber. I was just listing the first of the new age power forwards. The guards I will save for a different thread. Webber was actually birthed from these guys as he came into the league whe they were becoming stars.

Larry Johnson could have been the next Charles Barkley. I still remember his 4 point play in the 1999 NBA playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xlCbpPN8rs

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

If Larry Johnson didn't hurt his back, he would be an all time power forward. The other guys, not so much.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

I remember Derrick Coleman begging out of games vs the Utah Jazz because he did not want any piece of Karl Malone's thuggery.
    That's the best part of the recent Karl interview where he went off on the Sloan/Jazz parting. He said Coleman was his favorite to play against and Derrick was the most afraid to play him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    That's the best part of the recent Karl interview where he went off on the Sloan/Jazz parting. He said Coleman was his favorite to play against and Derrick was the most afraid to play him.
    Probably because Karl epitomized everything Coleman was not. The hardest worker in the history of the game IMO, and I'm a biased TD fan. Guy doesn't get near enough respect these days.

Oh, and he's also the author of what is IMO the greatest statistical game in the history of the NBA: 33 minutes, 21/26 from the field, 19/23, 61 points and 18 rebounds. Take a second to think about how insane those numbers are. Jazz won by 48 points btw, hence the relatively low number of minutes.

Sorry to hijack this thread with some random Karl Malone n*thugging. Carry on.

To this day, I think the best dunk I ever saw was Shawn Kemp in the McDonald's All American game. I would love to see if anyone has video on that to see if it was as good as I remember. He was at the three point line took one step and slammed it. This was in a regular half court set and i remember the lane being somewhat crowded.

If Larry Johnson didn't hurt his back, he would be an all time power forward. The other guys, not so much.
    No, Coleman was the really special one. Had a complete inside/outside game and all the skills. At his very short peak he was the most complete 4 I ever saw, better than Barkley, Malone, TD, or KG.

Kemp I'd rank #2 is this group. More of a textbook 4 with freak athleticism, but also some offensive limitations.

Johnson was good, but not quite on that level. A bit of a tweener, lacked height and unlike Barkley didn't have the huge wingspan or freakish athleticism to make up for it.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Larry Johnson could have been the next Charles Barkley. I still remember his 4 point play in the 1999 NBA playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xlCbpPN8rs
    You didn't see him play.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by RonySeikalyFTL
    Oh, and he's also the author of what is IMO the greatest statistical game in the history of the NBA: 33 minutes, 21/26 from the field, 19/23, 61 points and 18 rebounds. Take a second to think about how insane those numbers are. Jazz won by 48 points btw, hence the relatively low number of minutes.

Sorry to hijack this thread with some random Karl Malone n*thugging. Carry on.
    Damn.