Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Dallas Mavericks Edition

Team Monta.

Ellis has never played with anyone as good as Dirk, so he will have less pressure on him. He can be the designated gunner at the guards, with Calderon being a great set-up man.

This is a veteran team that will play their roles. Ellis will be much happier in Dallas because his role will be defined.

The Mavs need Brandan Wright to step up. He's entering his prime and sometimes bigs take awhile, but now it is his time to shine. If he can improve on offense and defense, he can be a big factor. Dalembert helps out defensively, playing the Tyson Chandler role better than Kaman did.

The Mavs did screw up big time not taking Dennis Schroeder. Big, big mistake.

The Mavs definitely should be back in the playoffs and could be a really tough first round opponent.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
    I got respect for a grandpa who's good enough to be a bench warmer in the NBA!

[

1. GROUP MAYO: Mayo, Kaman, Collison, Brand, D.Jones, M.James or GROUP MONTA: Ellis, Dalembert, Calderon, Blair, Ellington, D.Harris. Which group you got? group monta

2. TRUE or FALSE: Dirk Nowitzki will have a Tim Duncan-like resurgence this season.
    TRUE, Dirk will be back, tha return of tha 7'0 killer german

3. The Backcourt of Monta and Jose: Surprisingly Effective? Or Surprisingly Ineffective?
    Suprisingly effection. I wouldnt sleep on that backcourt

4. Not including Dirk, which Maverick is poised for a career resurgence? Monta Ellis (now or never)

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Dallas Mavericks will make the playoffs this season.

TRUE.. that means tha damn nuggets wont make it
    and two BONUS Questions:

BONUS 1: Better NBA Career: Shane Larkin or Gal Mekel?
    IDK
    BONUS 2:
    Mark Cuban: ""We basically saw the 2011-12 season as a throw away no matter who we signed," "With out the time to prepare and get their bodies ready, throwing a team with with an older starting lineup right into the fire was going to be tough. Young guys can walk into an NBA game any day of the year. Get to your mid 30s, not so much. So to bring the gang back , we would basically be losing a year. When you look at keeping together an older team and the first year after your championship is a lost year, it's hard to justify keeping an older team together."
    Do you agree with Mark Cuban's rationale?
    I kinda agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
    I got respect for a grandpa who's good enough to be a bench warmer in the NBA!
    Lol. Not when they start for a quarter of the season and chuck like prime AI with the game on the line.

I actually like the Calderon-Ellis backcourt.

But with the way the team is structured, its management who is banking heavily on Dirk returning to a Top 10 player in the league type level to get them into the Playoffs. At best they're a 7th seed.

A lot of people are sleeping on this team because they haven't played together but I like how all these pieces fit together, espescially with the bench depth they looked for. The biggest glaring weakness is a 3rd scoring option because Dirk and Monta are both going to get you 20 per game, its just getting consistent scoring production out Calderon/Marion/Harris/Wright that will be the problem.

Worst case scenario is Dirk continues to decline, they finish with a record that's good for 10th or 11th in the West and end up with a good lottery pick(9 or 10) in a deep draft. No bad contracts on the books and you can slowly blow things up after the 2014-2015 season for a rebuild.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    he has indicated that he would have taken less to stay. and yes, hes worth it on this team IMO. What other star did you get? A bird in hand.....

I would rather have him at 14.5 next to dirk than calderon and monta for more than that.
    No he did not

And Chandler isntead of Calderon and Ellis? You're insane

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
    You think having Chandler would have been enough to bring in D-Will though?
    Dirk $20 mil
    Chandler $15 mil
    Marion $8 mil
    D Will $18 mil

That's $61 mil right there. $3 mil over the cap with just 4 players...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kenny817
    No he did not

And Chandler isntead of Calderon and Ellis? You're insane
    Bingo.

Only on ISH in some absurd attempt to prop Chandler and diminish Dirk...is Chandler better than having Calderon and Ellis...

I said this even before the Mavs won the title. Because everyone had determined that Dirk would never win...winning meant that people would either have to admit they were wrong...or find someone else to give credit to.

That person became mainly Chandler. A player that averaged 8/9/0...he's marginally better than Dalembert in reality.

So I ask people who were in favor of bringing back Barea and Chandler. Would you rather be paying Chandler/Barea 20 million a year...or Ellis/Calderon/Dalembert 20 million a year?

People just need to realize...the Mavs weren't winning in 12 or 13 no matter what they did. The only chance they had in 13 was bringing in Howard or Paul...and they at least gave themselves that chance.

12 was impossible no matter what. The likelihood of Terry, Chandler, Barea, Kidd, and Dirk repeating their performances was simply impossible. And even if they did, you aren't guaranteed of winning. And that is just crazy...if you look at a team and say "even if everyone plays the best ball of their careers...we still might not even get out of the West"...if you say that about a supposed contender...why pay those guys long term? It's just bad business...especially in the face of a potential lost season and new CBA looming.

Dallas will be badass this year. Monta has never played with anyone close to Dirk Nowitzki, the spacing will blow his mind. Remember how effective Barea was playing off of Dirk? Ellis will be a Cadillac version of that.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    Dallas will be badass this year. Monta has never played with anyone close to Dirk Nowitzki, the spacing will blow his mind. Remember how effective Barea was playing off of Dirk? Ellis will be a Cadillac version of that.
    Yep. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Ellis can do in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    If healthy, this should be a very good and dangerous regular season team.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    If healthy, this should be a very good and dangerous regular season team.
    Wow, I guess I haven't really paid attention to the Mavericks' offseason but it looks like they've acquired some nice players.

I know Dirk was injured a lot last season, but he was healthy towards the end right? How did he look? Do you expect that he still has some gas left in the tank to play at a superstar level next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    I actually like the Calderon-Ellis backcourt.

But with the way the team is structured, its management who is banking heavily on Dirk returning to a Top 10 player in the league type level to get them into the Playoffs. At best they're a 7th seed.

A lot of people are sleeping on this team because they haven't played together but I like how all these pieces fit together, espescially with the bench depth they looked for. The biggest glaring weakness is a 3rd scoring option because Dirk and Monta are both going to get you 20 per game, its just getting consistent scoring production out Calderon/Marion/Harris/Wright that will be the problem.

Worst case scenario is Dirk continues to decline, they finish with a record that's good for 10th or 11th in the West and end up with a good lottery pick(9 or 10) in a deep draft. No bad contracts on the books and you can slowly blow things up after the 2014-2015 season for a rebuild.
    I gotta say best case is higher then 7th, they were 9th last season with an OJ Mayo who had just given up. Vince Carter on the ohter hand was giving it his all, playing some suprisingly nice pick and roll with Wright, hitting the boards hard and scoring efficiently wth in the team. I, a long time VC fanboy was surprised to see this level of play and I think he is your third.

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

I think Dallas will be a formidable team this year. Great coach, great franchise player, and a solid supporting cast. 5th- 6th seed, possibly 2nd rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    Wow, I guess I haven't really paid attention to the Mavericks' offseason but it looks like they've acquired some nice players.

I know Dirk was injured a lot last season, but he was healthy towards the end right? How did he look? Do you expect that he still has some gas left in the tank to play at a superstar level next year?
    Depends on how you define superstar I think.

Was Duncan a superstar this year?

Dirk averaged 17/7/3 56% TS in 31 minutes last year overall. He was much better as he got healthier...the Mavs went 28-18 over their last 46 games once Dirk got going.

Anything could happen, but with a healthy Dirk and improved roster...I see no reason why this team wouldn't win between 50 and 55 games.