Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why did the Lakers not retire George Mikan's #99?

07-19-2009

College superstar

From Wikipedia:

Honored Minneapolis Lakers: Next to their retired numbers, the Lakers have hung a banner with the names of six Hall-of-Famers who were instrumental to the franchise's success during its days in Minneapolis:
    o 17 - Jim Pollard, F, 1948-55
    o 19 - Vern Mikkelsen, F, 1949-59
    o 22 - Slater Martin, G, 1949-56
    o 34 - Clyde Lovellette, F-C, 1953-57
    o 99 - George Mikan, C, 1948-56 (did not play in 1954-55)
    o John Kundla, Coach, 1948-59
    * Except for 22, which was retired for Baylor, these "honored numbers" are still available.

I think that's the best the Lakers can do, as none of those players played in Los Angeles?

Mikan has a statue inside the Target Center in Minnesota. He, of course, is wearing a Lakers jersey.

Personally, I think that's really all he needs. He was and is a Minnesota legend.

The funny thing is, it's really the only piece of history in that arena. You walk in for a game, and see a big statue of a guy in a Lakers jersey.

Local High School Star

lets be honest only lakers who deserve their numbers retired are kobe and maybe magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    From Wikipedia:

Honored Minneapolis Lakers: Next to their retired numbers, the Lakers have hung a banner with the names of six Hall-of-Famers who were instrumental to the franchise's success during its days in Minneapolis:
    * Except for 22, which was retired for Baylor, these "honored numbers" are still available.

I think that's the best the Lakers can do, as none of those players played in Los Angeles?

Mikan has a statue inside the Target Center in Minnesota. He, of course, is wearing a Lakers jersey.

Personally, I think that's really all he needs. He was and is a Minnesota legend.

The funny thing is, it's really the only piece of history in that arena. You walk in for a game, and see a big statue of a guy in a Lakers jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rysio
    lets be honest only lakers who deserve their numbers retired are kobe and maybe magic.
    I think you should retire from your terrible posting career.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots
    I think you should retire from your terrible posting career.
    already had hall of fame career on here i guess i could retire but why waste my prime years?

I usually hit open layups stickfigure87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    From Wikipedia:

i'd expect a garnett shortly after he retires.

Very good NBA starter

because jerry buss is an assho!e.

NBA Superstar

This is actually kind of interesting. Never realized Mikan's number wasn't retired in Los Angeles until today. I mean, I get it, and I suppose the banner with Minneapolis-based Hall of Famers is a nice touch. Would be interesting if they handled their championships the same way (admittedly two completely different scenarios, just interesting to ponder).

They should have done so, for Mikan and other greats of the era. Just raing a banner in their collective honor doesn't quite do it. After all, they do consider that they have won 16 championships, not 11, not "11+5".

I rule the local playground

They honoured the Minny Lakers.

Maybe because #99 is already retired by the STAPLES center for Wayne Gretzky?

Wait, did OKC retire any jerseys of the Supersonics? I dont think so.
    Last edited by choppermagic; 02-11-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Banned

It's probably due to that controversy with the black towel boy.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I guess the first five championships in Minneapolis don't count. So they have 10 championships not 16. If they counted no doubt Mikan would have his number retired and he would always be recognized. He's one of the all time laker greats.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Yet they still call themselves the 15 time world champions, without recognizing the greats from Minneapolis. T'would be better to see #99 amidst itself, instead of on the tiny unoticable blue banner with the likes of Martin, Lovellete, amongst others. Both men wore numbers 22 and 34 respectively, one of which is retired for Elgin Baylor and the other of which will be retired for Shaquille O'Neal.

Does this mean a hopeful could wear #99 on the Lakers today? What makes the Lakers different? Oscar Robertson's #14 be retired by the Sacramento Kings, despite playing for them whilst being the Cincinati Royals, Wilt Chamberlain's #13 be retired by the Oakland Warriors, despite playing for them in Philadelphia and San Francisco. This be worse than the 76ers not officially retiring the #2 jersey of Moses Malone.

Is #99 unofficially retired? What be the status?

That's because the organization is racist.