I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

Default Does height/wingspan affect ball-handling?

Just a hypothetical discussion here.

It seems like there is a negative correlation between height and dribbling ability. In the NBA... the shorter you are, the better you handle the basketball

Now, I do know about the exceptions to the rule. Magic is obviously someone who this doesn't apply to.

There are also some 6'5"-6'7" players with really nice handles. I think that's where wingspan comes into play. If your arms are long enough your ball-handling typically becomes much stronger. Shaun Livingston and Lamar Odom are good examples of taller players with long arms who can handle the rock.

Also, I know the key to dribbling is practice. I'm sure Chris Paul has spent more time doing ball-handling drills than Tim Duncan.

That said, does being short and/or having a long wingspan give your handle an advantage?
    Last edited by JG000; 09-20-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Default Re: Does height/wingspan affect ball-handling?

paul wall had the right idea. you must be similar to an ant, must be low to the earth.

ballhandling is not a result of size, wingspan or athletic ability. its developed at the youngest age when actually exposed to a basketball. so you either have it or you don't

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    ballhandling is not a result of size, wingspan or athletic ability. its developed at the youngest age when actually exposed to a basketball. so you either have it or you don't
    Right, but certain players have body-structures whereas they're inclined to be better ball handlers.

Jamal Crawford is a perfect example. He's not too tall (6'5"- about 2 inches below league average) and has long arms. He's got an excellent handle.

I do agree with you that alot of it has to do with what they focused on growing up. Taller players probably worked on their post moves more than dribbling.

I think there are some major inherent physical advantages to become a great ball handler and the OP touched on two of them.

Height: The lower to the ground you the quicker the ball returns to you hand naturally, this is an advantage as less time away from your hands equals more control.

Wingspan: This is essentially an extension of height, an above average wingspan means yours hands are even lower to the ground then normal and allows you to bring the ball around your back and between your legs much easier.

Hand Size: Bob Cousy said many times his large hands were his greatest advantage in becoming the ball handler he did. More control and a greater ability to pass or spin the ball on the move with one hand.

Quickness: You can't steal the ball if you can't stay in front of someone, beign quick is the first essential ingredient to beoming a great ball handler as a guard.