Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bill Simmon's NBA Preview: Ranking the Teams

Simmons is really objective, even given his fandom for Boston teams. Anyone claiming otherwise is stupid. He's never gone out of his way to talk down any teams. He's a very accurate historian of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Why not THE Jazz? THE Bobcats? THE Kings? Or did the other teams change their names and I am unaware?
    Their. Just for you, you salty sailor.

Also, updated for Celtics at 24.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

These are more entertaining because Simmons is part of or owns Grantland, so they say whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    These are more entertaining because Simmons is part of or owns Grantland, so they say whatever they want.
    Grantland is still owned by ESPN, they just used it to replace their Page 2 section. He just got a promotion from being a featured columnist to being the editor in chief.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    He has a lot of mental problems in his game that have to do with his effort level.

The reason why they see no problem in extending him is because:

1. He can shoot smoothly out past 15 ft which is one of the things you must do to be a great scoring big

2. He has great touch

3. He's extremely agile for his size. When you watch him play he moves like a much smaller player
    But if those skills translate into a big man who shoots 45% (and are packaged with below average defense and serious attitude issues) that just doesn't add up to a max type player.

College superstar

Been listening to these podcasts (is that what they are?) while I lift. Great suggestion by whomever it was, btw. Anyway, I can't help but think of trade scenarios for all these lower echelon teams! (PS. I hate tanking)

Sac: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m8now47
    Acquire -- Deng, Asik, Lin.
    Send -- Thornton, Salmons, protected first to Bulls; Hayes, Jimmer, Isaiah, Patterson to Rockets.

Kings start Vasquez, McLemore, Deng, Cousins, Asik. Lin as the scoring guard off the bench, with Landry, Thompson, LRMM as the other main bench guys. That's a strong team, on paper.

Bulls get more shooting in Thornton, slide Butler to his more natural SF position, and add a jack-of-all-trades style player in Salmons. Also pick up a potentially valuable pick in the process.

Rockets pair Howard with a stretch 4 (Patterson, who I'm pretty sure they already traded away... so maybe not terribly realistic) while upgrading their shooting even more and opening the door for Beverley to start, who many believe is better than Lin anyway.

Bump for Raptors.

College superstar

Boston: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n6cjojh

Celtics get Amare, Felton, a first round pick (do the Knicks still have one, after the Bargs trade? If not, forget this trade idea).
    Send out: Rondo, Wallace, trade option.

Knicks get a player that will fit very well on their team... a PG that doesn't care to score, but only pass and defend. He and Chandler anchor a defense, and Rondo also initiates the offense and keeps everyone else (that loves to shoot) involved.

Boston gets a much larger cap relief in two years (11m for Rondo vs 21m for Amare) and a smaller cap carry over for the third year (10m for Wallace vs 3m for Felton). Amare can realistically not play, and no one would bat an eye. Perfect for tanking. The first round pick helps.

Local High School Star

Been listening to these podcasts (is that what they are?) while I lift. Great suggestion by whomever it was, btw. Anyway, I can't help but think of trade scenarios for all these lower echelon teams! (PS. I hate tanking)

Sac: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m8now47
    Acquire -- Deng, Asik, Lin.
    Send -- Thornton, Salmons, protected first to Bulls; Hayes, Jimmer, Isaiah, Patterson to Rockets.

Kings start Vasquez, McLemore, Deng, Cousins, Asik. Lin as the scoring guard off the bench, with Landry, Thompson, LRMM as the other main bench guys. That's a strong team, on paper.

Bulls get more shooting in Thornton, slide Butler to his more natural SF position, and add a jack-of-all-trades style player in Salmons. Also pick up a potentially valuable pick in the process.

Rockets pair Howard with a stretch 4 (Patterson, who I'm pretty sure they already traded away... so maybe not terribly realistic) while upgrading their shooting even more and opening the door for Beverley to start, who many believe is better than Lin anyway.
    Bulls won't touch this. Salmons is a (sub)replacement level player and has been for 2 or 3 seasons. He's also a bad contract.
    I like Thornton for more than 24 minutes on a bad team. But Butler shot better than from three last year (albeit on many less attempts). So if he's even vaguely in Thornton's ballpark as a shooter and so much better in terms of value, defense and upside. I'd be happy with Butler playing at SG.

So is their any reason for Chicago to mess with a winning formula. Only if they think Deng is leaving as a free agent.

I don't think Houston goes for it either. I think they see that as giving up two starters for one. I think that would probably be correct.

Edit: Of course it does depend on when the pick is and what protections are on it. But I can't see a contender shaking things up like this unless they're confident that that's a good pick and one coming soon.
    Last edited by Owl; 10-09-2013 at 04:52 PM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Bulls won't touch this. Salmons is a (sub)replacement level player and has been for 2 or 3 seasons. He's also a bad contract.
    I like Thornton for more than 24 minutes on a bad team. But Butler shot better than from three last year (albeit on many less attempts). So if he's even vaguely in Thornton's ballpark as a shooter and so much better in terms of value, defense and upside. I'd be happy with Butler playing at SG.

So is their any reason for Chicago to mess with a winning formula. Only if they think Deng is leaving as a free agent.

I don't think Houston goes for it either. I think they see that as giving up two starters for one. I think that would probably be correct.

Edit: Of course it does depend on when the pick is and what protections are on it. But I can't see a contender shaking things up like this unless they're confident that that's a good pick and one coming soon.
    All valid points, but I'm very high on Thornton as a scorer, which is what the Bulls need. Butler may shoot nearly as well, but he doesn't score anywhere in the ballpark as Thornton. And Deng is not taking a pay cut, which means he will either leave or be traded, but the Bulls have more leverage now rather than then.

As for the Rockets, keep in mind the cap situation, too. Rockets save 4m in salary alone, plus 4m of the incoming salary is off the books after only a year. But Lin and Asik are what they are... Asik is more valuable than Lin, but neither has the upside that Patterson has.

Local High School Star

All valid points, but I'm very high on Thornton as a scorer, which is what the Bulls need. Butler may shoot nearly as well, but he doesn't score anywhere in the ballpark as Thornton. And Deng is not taking a pay cut, which means he will either leave or be traded, but the Bulls have more leverage now rather than then.

As for the Rockets, keep in mind the cap situation, too. Rockets save 4m in salary alone, plus 4m of the incoming salary is off the books after only a year. But Lin and Asik are what they are... Asik is more valuable than Lin, but neither has the upside that Patterson has.
    I suspect the market will dictate that Deng will take a pay cut (relative to his salary this year). It will just be a matter of how much.

Patterson's value is an open question at this point. His first year was genuinely impressive for a rookie (in limited minutes), his second a disaster, last year quite good, though weak on the boards. As you note the trade has Patterson heading back to Rockets. Given that they valued him as much as Thomas Robinson, who they then valued at nothing, it's hard to see the Rockets giving up a Asik for Patterson even if he is a much better fit.

TBH I'm not sure I actually like the trade for Sacramento long term. I think they get the better of the deals, but just because you dislike tanking (and I understand that when Sacramento have been so bad for so long) the aspiration shouldn't be to be 50 win team and that would probably be the (rough) ceiling on the core you propose. Being bad (or bad-ish) for one more year would seem to make sense for this year if scouts/media are right about the coming draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Grantland is still owned by ESPN, they just used it to replace their Page 2 section. He just got a promotion from being a featured columnist to being the editor in chief.
    I didn't realize. I think I've heard them say the word sh!t on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I didn't realize. I think I've heard them say the word sh!t on there.
    Yea, they've got a bit looser, but Simmons has gotten in trouble a few times, mostly on Twitter which he has been suspended from before by ESPN.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

I'm absolutely loving these. They should do one with chuck and Shaq.