Default Chris Smoove on Dwyane Wade leaving

Default Re: Chris Smoove on Dwyane Wade leaving

He made a lot of good points, basically saying what most Heat fans are thinking/saying right now. The entire situation is very unfortunate, and it all could have been avoided. Hell, if they gave him the 3/45 he wanted last season they would have him on the books for $15 million right now. I just don't understand how Riley botched this thing so badly. Terrible foresight on his part. As I mentioned in another thread, two years ago Riley lost a top 5 player all-time and this year he lost the greatest player in franchise history.

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    He made a lot of good points, basically saying what most Heat fans are thinking/saying right now. The entire situation is very unfortunate, and it all could have been avoided. Hell, if they gave him the 3/45 he wanted last season they would have him on the books for $15 million right now. I just don't understand how Riley botched this thing so badly. As I mentioned in another thread, two years ago Riley lost a top 5 player all-time and this year he lost the greatest player in franchise history.

He made a lot of good points, basically saying what most Heat fans are thinking/saying right now. The entire situation is very unfortunate, and it all could have been avoided. Hell, if they gave him the 3/45 he wanted last season they would have him on the books for $15 million right now. I just don't understand how Riley botched this thing so badly. Terrible foresight on his part. As I mentioned in another thread, two years ago Riley lost a top 5 player all-time and this year he lost the greatest player in franchise history.

and if riley didn't give dragic that big ass contract for his mostly garbage play

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    and if riley didn't give dragic that big ass contract for his mostly garbage play
    Or Bosh. Or Whiteside.

Splaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash!

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Splaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash!
    HA HA IT'S AMAZIN'

I want to hear more of Wade's side and the agreements between Riley and Wade throughout the years to get the full understanding of this - likely we never will but would be GREAT for fans to know where the fallout went.

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Or Bosh. Or Whiteside.
    That's the real kicker in all this and probably what angered Wade the most. In the summer of 2014, Bosh got his 5 year max contract. Wade took less than his opt-in salary to help the team. In the summer of 2015, Dragic got his 5 year $90 million contract. Wade took a 1 year deal when he wanted 3. This summer, Whiteside got his 4 year max contract. Wade was an afterthought. The Heat's initial offer of $10 million (barely more than half of what Loul Deng is getting) was one of the most insulting contract offers in league history.

Riley was willing to open up the check book for those guys, but not the greatest player in the history of the organization? The face of the franchise for over a decade? A guy who was essentially responsible for 3 championships? A guy who sacrificed millions for team? It doesn't make any sense.

That's the real kicker in all this and probably what angered Wade the most. In the summer of 2014, Bosh got his 5 year max contract. Wade took less than his opt-in salary to help the team. In the summer of 2015, Dragic got his 5 year $90 million contract. Wade took a 1 year deal when he wanted 3. This summer, Whiteside got his 4 year max contract. Wade was an afterthought. The Heat's initial offer of $10 million (barely more than half of what Loul Deng is getting) was one of the most insulting contract offers in league history.

Riley was willing to open up the check book for those guys, but not the greatest player in the history of the organization? The face of the franchise for over a decade? A guy who was essentially responsible for 3 championships? A guy who sacrificed millions for team? It doesn't make any sense.

And this is exactly why the Lakers were right to pay Kobe and not give a damn about the critics. The backlash from not securing the face of the franchise until retirement is unforgivable in the eyes of a lot of fans. Heat fans would be happier with Wade on board right now, rather than finding out how cheap it would of been to keep him. It's always a business and you pay your stars who brings you rings.

Riley knew he could woo Wade into buying into remaining the franchise guy with paycuts and so forth - he couldnt do that with newcomers in Bosh and guys like Dragic. they would walk at the balked offerings - Riley had no choice but to pay them market value. same goes for Whiteside, we don't keep him unless we match the outside offers.

Wade attempted this on 2 occasions after the Big3 era and didn't get much fielding from other teams - one season, i don't even think he got a meeting. his play and overall regression impacted his value heavily, and it hurt him more so than benefited him in opting out to see what the market offers him elsewhere.

now with all that, Riley is loyal to those who work with him - Wade was not exception to this. Zo got it, Timmy got it and Wade was next to get it. Wade was getting the back end pay day and the front office spot for allowing the franchise to be flexible with his salary and remaining fully competitive. Wade was good and gave it one more chance with KD, but as soon as he chose Warriors - Wade just felt the payday had to come because who knew if he'd get the payday with another year of waiting to make it happen while the Heat chased another superstar next summer. can you blame Wade, no - he wanted some commitment and Riley would only stretch so far. can you then blame Riley - no, he's looking out to keep the Heat relevant or on it's way to relevance in as short a time as possible.

whatever it was, the Chicago signing was a dumb move when it's looked at in retrospect - Wade wanted a statement contract and that would be with Denver. with Chicago, he makes himself a whiny b!tch and makes the huge uproar over basically $1mil more after taxes in what the Heat were offering him. some Heat fans resent him some, albeit very few of them - can label me one, surely AJ will, and that's fine. I don't care about players before the team - and Riley had the perfect going out plan for him had he stayed the course. many stars would froth at Wade being the 3rd option or 6th man off the bench when being pitched too during FA. it was a huge selling point, and Wade would be rewarded eventually.

he ultimately made his decision to go elsewhere however, and we move on - the future will be bright again as we rebuild. good luck to Wade, but I hope the Heat embarrasses the Bulls. i want that statement game from our young guys
    Last edited by r15mohd; 07-07-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Why did Whiteside offer to take less for a KD signing but not offer to do so for Wade? Something we don't know?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/re...nt-joins-heat/

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd
    Riley knew he could woo Wade into buying into remaining the franchise guy with paycuts and so forth - he couldnt do that with newcomers in Bosh and guys like Dragic. they would walk at the balked offerings - Riley had no choice but to pay them market value. same goes for Whiteside, we don't keep him unless we match the outside offers.

Wade attempted this on 2 occasions after the Big3 era and didn't get much fielding from other teams - one season, i don't even think he got a meeting. his play and overall regression impacted his value heavily, and it hurt him more so than benefited him in opting out to see what the market offers him elsewhere.

now with all that, Riley is loyal to those who work with him - Wade was not exception to this. Zo got it, Timmy got it and Wade was next to get it. Wade was getting the back end pay day and the front office spot for allowing the franchise to be flexible with his salary and remaining fully competitive. Wade was good and gave it one more chance with KD, but as soon as he chose Warriors - Wade just felt the payday had to come because who knew if he'd get the payday with another year of waiting to make it happen while the Heat chased another superstar next summer. can you blame Wade, no - he wanted some commitment and Riley would only stretch so far. can you then blame Riley - no, he's looking out to keep the Heat relevant or on it's way to relevance in as short a time as possible.

whatever it was, the Chicago signing was a dumb move when it's looked at in retrospect - Wade wanted a statement contract and that would be with Denver. with Chicago, he makes himself a whiny b!tch and makes the huge uproar over basically $1mil more after taxes in what the Heat were offering him. some Heat fans resent him some, albeit very few of them - can label me one, surely AJ will, and that's fine. I don't care about players before the team - and Riley had the perfect going out plan for him had he stayed the course. many stars would froth at Wade being the 3rd option or 6th man off the bench when being pitched too during FA. it was a huge selling point, and Wade would be rewarded eventually.

he ultimately made his decision to go elsewhere however, and we move on - the future will be bright again as we rebuild. good luck to Wade, but I hope the Heat embarrasses the Bulls. i want that statement game from our young guys
    Wade didn't get much interest from other teams because nobody thought he'd leave Miami. When it became clear that Wade was genuinely ready to explore other options, teams began to pursue him with big offers. I know the popular narrative is that Wade wanted one final big payday, but it was more about respect and what the money represented. If the Heat would have made it clear that he was the main priority this summer, Wade may have been willing to once again make a sacrifice. I truly believe that, and if the 2/40 was offered right away I have no doubt that would have accepted it.

I don't have a problem with the Heat rebuilding and I'll always be a loyal Heat fan, but it's just kind of sickening how this thing played out. If it had been a mutual thing where the Heat wanted to rebuild and Wade wanted one last shot at being a contender, I'd have no issue. However, I don't think either party wanted this. I don't think Wade truly wanted to leave and if the Heat could do it over, they would.

At this point the Heat should try to unload everyone and build around Whiteside, Winslow, and Richardson. Tank this season and basically start from scratch with those 3 guys. This probably isn't a playoff team anyway so they may as well do it right and try to make a big splash next summer. Westbrook should obviously be the primary target.

National High School Star

Am I allowed to get a Wade Bulls jersey...? **** sake Miami .