Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Kobe's longevity is really amazing

Think about this for a second, Kobe came in the league at about the same time as Iverson, T-Mac, Vince Carter, Ray Allen and he is still playing like a superstar while the rest are either retired or a shell of their former selves. For a while it looked like Arenas was going to give him some competition for the next few years, but he fell off the map fast, think about that, Kobe came in the league in '96, Arenas was drafted in '01 and now look where both players are. Nash is the only player that comes close to Kobe's longevity, but Nash really didn't become elite until he joined the Suns in 2005, Kobe was a superstar by 2001. Today's game is the reason why I made this thread, how he was able to outperform two superstars in this league that were drafted in 2003, 7 years after Kobe was drafted. Wade is a few years younger than Kobe, but the 16 year vet Bryant still might be better.

Great college starter

Default Re: Kobe's longevity is really amazing

He's 33 years old....... , barely played his first 2 years. But overall it's impressive.

Learning to shoot layups

Gotta give credit where credit is due i guess

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    He's 33 years old....... , barely played his first 2 years. But overall it's impressive.
    Exaclty. Oscar Robertson at age 33 was barley an All-Star, George Gervin was playing in his final year, & Isiah Thomas wasn't even in the league at 33.

what's amazing about a satanist playing this long? you know that's the only way he can still be playing. he's sold his soul to the devil.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    Gotta give credit where credit is due i guess
    german knee surgery?

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Exaclty. Oscar Robertson at age 33 was barley an All-Star, George Gervin was playing in his final year, & Isiah Thomas wasn't even in the league at 33.

Why was Thomas out so early

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
    Why was Thomas out so early
    had to start early on his diabolical plans to destroy the Knicks franchise.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Yeah, Kobe's still going strong at 33....but comparing past players straight up is ridiculous....Oscar was playing 42-44 minutes every game....without all the perks players get today....without all the high-dollar therapy, advanced medicine, luxuries, etc...

It's not even worth a comparison.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

He is an amazing player. There was a time in the early-00s where I really didn't like him for what I perceived as a bad attitude and I never understood why he couldn't just accept his role alongside Shaq and be content with it...

But, I got over all of that a long time ago. He has been a pleasure to watch. One of the greatest natural scorers that the league has ever seen.

And, yeah... The fact that he is 33 and still putting up 30+ on a near nightly basis is amazing. These guys that come straight out of high school are going to be working on a different timeline than the guys who spent years in college.

Your knees and body can only take so many 82 game seasons plus playoffs before you wear down... I don't care how old you are.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

speaking of old guys playing at a very high level...........................Steve Nash.

Great college starter

Karl Malone is probably the most endured athlete of all time...John Stockton is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    In the NBA, age isn't really a good indicator on the longevity of players. You need to look at the number of years that he has been playing....Kobe is a 33 yrs old w/ an older man's body....

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker09
    In the NBA, age isn't really a good indicator on the longevity of players. You need to look at the number of years that he has been playing....Kobe is a 33 yrs old w/ an older man's body....

Age is a good indicator for ANYONE....