Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony = Dominique Wilkins

Their stats are essential the same and both have done the went same places in the playoffs. So essentially either Dominique was not as good people thought or Carmelo is better than we think.

Why would Wilkins be in the top 50 and Carmelo be in the 100s if they have the same stats and same rings.

Tolerant Liberals

Atleast Wilkins was exciting to watch and had nice dunks. Marshmelo is just an average efficiency, long 2pter chucking, no defense playing, honey nut Cheerios eating lazy ass bum

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA
    Their stats are essential the same and both have done the went same places in the playoffs. So essentially either Dominique was not as good people thought or Carmelo is better than we think.
    Like I've previously said, Wilkins was 2nd in MVP voting once, ahead of Magic, Hakeem, Kareem, Moses, Isiah, Barkley, Dantley, English... Melo ain't really seeing that; even the MVP, peak Bird, said that Nique should've won that award that year.
    Dominique was also 5th in MVP voting for two times, also once 6th and once 8th... Anthony was only twice in the top10, being 3rd and 6th once.
    And Carmelo never made the all-nba 1st team, unlike Wilkins.

Wilkins led the Hawks to various 50W's seasons in a stacked conference, as high as 57 W's once, and he did his thing in the Playoffs... Plus, I'm not denying that he had some good teammates, but for example, Melo made the conference Finals playing alongside Billups, JR Smith, Nene and K-Mart, that's better than Willis, Rivers, Wittman, Webb...

Wilkins more than held his own vs MJ, he had classic battles with Bird (including that amazing one in '88), so on...

Nique even came back from a rupture achilles still wrecking shit up.

It's definitely close but Wilkins was better or call it more impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Like I've previously said, Wilkins was 2nd in MVP voting once, ahead of Magic, Hakeem, Kareem, Moses, Isiah, Barkley, Dantley, English... Melo ain't really seeing that; even the MVP, peak Bird, said that Nique should've won that award that year.
    Dominique was also 5th in MVP voting for two times, also once 6th and once 8th... Anthony was only twice in the top10, being 3rd and 6th once.

Wilkins led the Hawks to various 50W's seasons in a stacked conference, as high as 57 W's once, and he did his thing in the Playoffs... Plus, I'm not denying that he had some good teammates, but for example, Melo made the conference Finals playing alongside Billups, JR Smith, Nene and K-Mart, that's better than Willis, Rivers, Wittman, Webb...

Wilkins more than held his own vs MJ, he had classic battles with Bird (including that amazing one in '88), so on...

Well said! At their best, Nique and Melo are great scorers as well as great rebounding SF's. ANY SF capable of getting 28-30 points and 8-9 boards a game is a great player. But the FASHION in which Nique dominated seemed more impactful than Melo. Nique could OVERPOWER a defense with is athletic ability better than any SF in NBA history.

Bron has the physical tools to do it, but he wasn't as relentless as Nique scoring. When u couple that with Nique's scoring skillset (which is underrated by many), I just think it gives the edge to Nique. Even though Melo has PROVED he can match Nique in terms of numbers in general.
    Last edited by bizil; 09-13-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Does anyone else think of Dominique Wilkins when you talk about Carmelo?

Both great scorers but thats about it. Not much team success. Of course Carmelo didn't have the athletic ability Dominique had and Carmelo certainly didn't have Dominique's dunking ability.
    WTF are you smoking?

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

I think it's very close right now, they both have suffered from some pretty mediocre to bad supporting casts. But Melo still has about 3-4 more very impactful years left so we will see if he can surpass him in the coming years.

Nope. When I watch Melo play, he reminds me of a Alex English or a chocolate version of Kiki Vandeweghe

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Dominique Wilkins was clearly better. Guy was a legit Top 5 player at one point. Melo has been fringe Top 10 player at his best.
    I'm not even a Melo fan but he finished 3rd in MVP voting in 2012-2013.

Quote Originally Posted by VIP2000
    I'm not even a Melo fan but he finished 3rd in MVP voting in 2012-2013.
    Doesn't mean he was a Top 3-5 player. But that probably was his best season and I guess people will argue for him.

Banned

I've got to look back at the 2013 season, but without doing it I can say from memory that Carmelo was one of the five best players in the league at least.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Tmac is a better defensive player and playmaker than Carmelo. Try again.
    T-Mac at his peak was even better Kobe and it isn't even a question. Carmelo isn't even in the same realm.

College star

No. Melo is a better shooter, Nique is better in everything else and has more heart.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    Never watche Nique in his prime, but I remember him not being known as a good team player. Low assists, low impact outside scoring. Didn't he play for the Spurs the year the Admiral got hurt? And they still didn't win more than 19 or something?
    Wilkins was like 37 when he played with San Antonio.

Wilkins had a reputation early on for not being the best team player. Not sure how accurate that rep really was. He had a solid jumper, and relied on it more after he tore his Achilles heel. He came back from that injury to score 30 a game in the 92-93 season.

Like Melo, Nique was an excellent scorer and solid rebounder, and not so good defensively.

if anyone here watches hockey melo is just like rick nash

best player in a pretty bad franchise for a while, really big, seems like a really elite scorer yet was never really the best

all the tools but couldnt really put it all together to be the best

really really elite in international play

both got traded to new york and have been unable to do anything there